Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New details about new Hammer & Nail development in midtown

"195,000-square-foot, five-story medical office building with retail on the ground floors, a four-floor mixed-use commercial building and a 648-space parking ramp"

looks like the commercial two story building and the 12 story hammer and nail will both come down.. but with two new buildings replacing them,and a parking garage... i never heard about the four story mixed use building before today.. interesting..

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...elated_stories

Yeah, mixed thoughts. As I recall, an absurd percentage of this large lot was going to be dedicated to the garage. In another source, I read about talk [[yesterday) of preserving the 12 story tower...a low probability outcome but one I think would be great if the other new buildings and parking rose around it still. The plaza should be replaced with something taller for sure.

It would not be outrageous to suggest residential for part of this lot, correct? In fact I am pretty sure that would be the shrewd move.

It's a good thing that the hammer-and-nail appeared in a couple of my pictures as I went deep into Midtown on Woodward last week.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...wn-development

The building has a slight chance of surviving, according to the agenda of the Tuesday meeting of the strategic fund board.
    “An investment entity has been looking at the twelve story building for possible renovation, but this possibility is speculative, and it is more likely that it will be subject to demolition and new construction,” the agenda item said.

I think the nail and hammer could look pretty nice with a new skin of glass. Indy has a building [[one Indiana Sq) that's much taller [[36 floors)than this but a similar look . They have worked on renovating and putting a new skin on and it looks like a new building. The ground floor/lobby renovation is next. Here is a link:
    http://www.thorntontomasetti.com/pro...indiana_square

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    I think the nail and hammer could look pretty nice with a new skin of glass. Indy has a building [[one Indiana Sq) that's much taller [[36 floors)than this but a similar look . They have worked on renovating and putting a new skin on and it looks like a new building. The ground floor/lobby renovation is next. Here is a link:
    This, except how far set back is the Hammer & Nail office building from Woodward? I'd be okay with this [[am a vocal advocate of getting rid of it if the exterior stays the same) as long as it doesn't have some super weird setback. I should cruise by there on my next bike ride.

Hammer & Nail has a larger than typical setback. 40 feet I'd estimate, at least. Not great, but there is something kinda cool about the building and particularly how it might look after a little renovation. I'd be happy as a clam with a zero-setback 4-5 story building to replace the 1-story building, and just leave the old Hammer & Nail [[it's new formal name). The setback, in context, is not too disruptive. The larger street-life issue is just north of Hammer & Nail, where Woodward enjoys a nice fence surrounding a tower-in-the-park.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; July-23-14 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Hammer & Nail has a larger than typical setback. 40 feet I'd estimate, at least. Not great, but there is something kinda cool about the building and particularly how it might look after a little renovation. I'd be happy as a claim with a zero-setback 4-5 story building to replace the 1-story building, and just leave the old Hammer & Nail [[it's new formal name). The setback, in context, is not too disruptive. The larger street-life issue is just north of Hammer & Nail, where Woodward enjoys a nice fence surrounding a tower-in-the-park.
    Alright, I'm on board with your plan as long as the "little renovation" includes making the external portion not look like something from Southfield. The setback I dislike, but they could put some benches or trees or mini-park space out there and that would be cool too. Just get rid of the Top China building please please please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    that building was in worse condition as well

Here's a better picture of the building in Indy after completion:

http://www.ibj.com/ext/resources/blo...anaSquare2.jpg

It's not perfect by any means, but would be a huge improvement and nice compromise.

The set back is fine, as long as the renovation would happen. Perfect for first floor restaurant with outdoor seating/patio along Woodward. High end residential with DMC Campus near and access M1 Rail.
    Would really hate to see it torn down, as that neighborhood will never see that height for buildings in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    that neighborhood will never see that height for buildings in the future.
    Any reason why you say that?

But yes, I agree it's height is good and probably more appropriate for the site than the proposed replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Any reason why you say that?

But yes, I agree it's height is good and probably more appropriate for the site than the proposed replacement.
    Recent history of project [[Auburn, DMC Heart Hospital) and proposed projects [[DMC Childrens Tower, Wayne State Projects) none of these come close to reaching double digits floors, let alone 13 or 14 that this is.

It is a beautiful view of the city when looking towards downtown.

Name:  photo [[7).jpg
Views: 516
Size:  61.4 KB

Oh my, stunning view. I would pay a decent amount to have that view from my living room, frankly.

I agree with your observation, but I don't think that necessarily renders double-digit height out of the question for the many empty parcels still scattered around Midtown. Do I think very much of it will be provided/planned in the next 3-5 years though, no, probably not. I'd really like to see Hammer & Nail converted and saved. The developer might and should consider that over costly demo.

I would pay top dollar to have that view outside of my apartment window.