Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Duggan to make it official: Corktown beats out Canton for hi-tech research hub

"But confusion over the lease in the suburbs provided an opening for Detroit, soon after Duggan took office as mayor, to make a pitch for the hub."

"Duggan himself met with ALMMII officials. A tentative deal to locate in Detroit was struck and a lease concluded in the past few days."

that's what the hell i like to see out of my mayor dammit.. acting fast for a phenomenal opportunity and makes it happen!! it is so nice having a competent leadership..

let's see what the trolls have to say about this... bham?? anyone??

http://www.freep.com/article/2014072...tweight-metals

I wondered how the switch from Canton had come about. Incredibly nice to see the city aggressively seize an opportunity for once.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I wondered how the switch from Canton had come about. Incredibly nice to see the city aggressively seize an opportunity for once.
    The owner of the land in Canton ended up leasing it to someone else before ALMMII could get financing.

When this was first announced, I remember thinking that it would have been nice to see this in Detroit. It's not that many jobs [[and I don't get excited with talk of something like this being the catalyst for "spinoff" development), but who knows...this could be the first steps toward making Corktown industrial areas attractive for high tech industrial needs. This + Gilbert's nearby facility is at least a nice start.

You make it sound like this is something new:

Quicken
    Compuware
    Little Caesars
    Lots of jobs from other parts of the State to new GM HQ at the Death Star... err RenCen.

Metal foam looks like a promising/challenging material.

Being a Canton resident I say good for the City! Not that I'm glad we didn't get it but sometimes you have to share good fortune in order to succeed. We're really just one big community and a win for Detroit is a win for all of us.

YAY Duggan! Take that Canton, TWP.

More good news on jobs. This mayor has game and that's great for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You make it sound like this is something new:

Quicken
    Compuware
    Little Caesars
    Lots of jobs from other parts of the State to new GM HQ at the Death Star... err RenCen.
    My point related to the actions of the current administration. According to the article, in short order the city quickly spruced up the building and actively promoted it when the Canton deal fell apart . The Duggan administration saw an opportunity and jumped on it.

My point related to the actions of the current administration. According to the article, in short order the city quickly spruced up the building and actively promoted it when the Canton deal fell apart . The Duggan administration saw an opportunity and jumped on it.
    Duggan is gonna get a building named after him if he keeps this up

Cool facade. As far as big warehouses go.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Cool facade. As far as big warehouses go.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m
    I agree. I hope that they do indeed freshen up the exterior a bit. Curbed is covering this too

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...y-exterior.php

Together with the Quicken data center across the street any Ponyride a block away, a lot of life is coming back to this area. Maybe others will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    Being a Canton resident I say good for the City! Not that I'm glad we didn't get it but sometimes you have to share good fortune in order to succeed. We're really just one big community and a win for Detroit is a win for all of us.
    And I wish more people looked at it this way. Yes, it's great for the city, but it's another example of regional cannibalism. If the city/region/state is really interested in growing everyone has to realize that Detroit's real opponent isn't the suburbs, nor should the suburbs view Detroit as an enemy either. The real opponents of both is every other urban region around the world that is competing in the global economy.

We waste a lot of time and energy having the over 150 local governments in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties always fighting each other. It's pie-in-the-sky and would never happen, but part of me wishes that every community in the Tri-county area would merge into a single municipality. There would no longer be an "us versus them" and there HAS to be a huge savings to tax payers eliminating the individual overhead of 150 local governments in exchange for just 1.

but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    It's pie-in-the-sky and would never happen, but part of me wishes that every community in the Tri-county area would merge into a single municipality. There would no longer be an "us versus them" and there HAS to be a huge savings to tax payers eliminating the individual overhead of 150 local governments in exchange for just 1.

but I digress.
    Let's see if I understand this. Detroit is broke and you want Detroit to merge with "150 local governments" that are not broke. That sounds like a honey of a deal for Detroit! Not so much for the other "150 local governments" that still have money.

but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    Let's see if I understand this. Detroit is broke and you want Detroit to merge with "150 local governments" that are not broke. That sounds like a honey of a deal for Detroit! Not so much for the other "150 local governments" that still have money.

but I digress.

Not NOW of course. However, when Detroit emerges from bankruptcy they are almost certain to be in better financial shape than many of the other 150.

Also, if you think that just because Detroit is the only one that's bankrupt everything is rosy in the suburbs then you haven't been paying attention.

Yea, quite a few suburbs already have started sharing services with each other to save money. Last I read, Sterling Heights and Clinton Township were thinking about merging fire departments. But it's still unlikely Detroit will ever see a county consolidation or any sort of regional unity unless the city was doing way better than most of the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Also, if you think that just because Detroit is the only one that's bankrupt everything is rosy in the suburbs then you haven't been paying attention.
    Didn't even suggest that it was rosy in the suburbs but they aren't as broke as Detroit. They just have a few dollars more than Detroit. I don't guess that is fair, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Yea, quite a few suburbs already have started sharing services with each other to save money. Last I read, Sterling Heights and Clinton Township were thinking about merging fire departments. But it's still unlikely Detroit will ever see a county consolidation or any sort of regional unity unless the city was doing way better than most of the suburbs.
    If that happened Detroit would shout out loud and clear, "No way!"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    If that happened Detroit would shout out loud and clear, "No way!"
    Are we now 3 or 4 deep in batshit crazy, never ever going to happen hypotheticals to carry on the us vs. them argument?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Are we now 3 or 4 deep in batshit crazy, never ever going to happen hypotheticals to carry on the us vs. them argument?
    Awww... Are you trying to take away my fun? LOL After all, all I am is a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Duggan is gonna get a building named after him if he keeps this up
    Ya, wow, he should have a building named after him for bringing in 24 jobs in return for them getting a $70m federal government grant and another $78m grant from universities and other organizations. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m It will have 24 JOBS "eventually". Twenty-four! Ya, that'll save the city and balance out all the lost jobs when Compuware moves out of the city after being bought out by a vulture fund. That's such an amazing ROI for all those grants and taxpayer dollars. 24 jobs doesn't do sh*t for the high unemployment rate in a city this size. If Duggan wants to save the city, he needs to abolish city income taxes so the city has a competitive business environment with other cities in metro.
    Last edited by davewindsor; July-24-14 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Ya, wow, he should have a building named after him for bringing in 24 jobs in return for them getting a $70m federal government grant and another $78m grant from universities and other organizations. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-home-for-148m It will have 24 JOBS "eventually". Twenty-four! Ya, that'll save the city and balance out all the lost jobs when Compuware moves out of the city after being bought out by a vulture fund. That's such an amazing ROI for all those grants and taxpayer dollars. 24 jobs doesn't do sh*t for the high unemployment rate in a city this size. If Duggan wants to save the city, he needs to abolish city income taxes so the city has a competitive business environment with other cities in metro.
    Duggan should Cut the property tax rate so properties could actually appreciate. People always get excited about appreciating real estate markets. Brings in folks who want to make money on there home as well as investors that take care of the actual property.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Yes, because in right wing world, eliminating taxes always results in more....tax revenue. Except it never does.

where do you apply for the jobs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast