Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rail Transit Construction and Rehab 2014

I just ran across a June 2014 issue of Metro [[the trade magazine for rail and bus transit). They have an article about the amount of streetcar/subway projects going on in the US and Canada. Right now there are about $99 billion in funded projects in some phase of design or construction.

New York leads the list with $16.55 billion.

2. Toronto-$13.2 billion
    3. Seattle-$9 billion
    4. Boston-$6.2 billion
    5. Honolulu-$5.1 billion
    6. San Diego-$3.5 billion
    7. Los Angeles-$3.4 billion
    8. Denver-$3.3 billion
    9. Washington DC-$3.1 billion
    10. Newington CT-$3.0 billion

Detroit? M-1 Rail with $137 million puts it in 40th place.

I'm not surprised Toronto's No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    I'm not surprised Toronto's No. 1.
    It's number 2...

Toronto has a blank check from the province of Ontario to spend as much as it wants on mass transit, earning it the nick-name Hogtown. Personally, I think southwestern Ontario would be better off if they seceded from the province. Boston never dismantled its' mass transit network like Detroit did. New York and Los Angeles can rely on the generosity of local, state and federal governments. Detroit has to rely on the private sector and a bankrupt city government.
    Last edited by hortonz; July-23-14 at 12:13 AM.

Some Toronto press columnists esp. at the Globe and Mail are saying that Toronto's streetcar system should be dismantled. It is highly inefficient according to many. It slows down traffic on major streets, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Toronto has a blank check from the province of Ontario to spend as much as it wants on mass transit, earning it the nick-name Hogtown. Personally, I think southwestern Ontario would be better off if they seceded from the province. Boston never dismantled its' mass transit network like Detroit did. New York and Los Angeles can rely on the generosity of local, state and federal governments. Detroit has to rely on the private sector and a bankrupt city government.
    Or, in the case of New York, you have established transit authorities with oversight provided by a state-level agency, and dedicated funding mechanisms to keep the services operating. Federal transit dollars are available to all comers, provided you meet the requirements [[which Detroit and Michigan refuse to do). So let's spare the crocodile tears. Michigan chooses to invest only in roads, so that's what you have.

Correct, we've made our bed. That said, it shows what a modest investment M1 is...and it's mostly privately funded too. So hilarious that there are people who have a cow about M1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Correct, we've made our bed. That said, it shows what a modest investment M1 is...and it's mostly privately funded too. So hilarious that there are people who have a cow about M1.
    Well, on the one hand you have people arguing that it doesn't go far enough, that it isn't center running, or that it is not easily expansible. On the other hand you have people arguing that it is not needed, that it is a waste of money, or that it is another people mover.

I agree with your analysis.

The second group of people isn't very tuned in; the first group needs to keep pressing. I feel there will be a moment, once M1 is running and being used, for southern Oakland mayors [[and maybe even LBP if he can be lobbied to do something good as his final act) to join with Duggan [[and perhaps even Snyder in his final year) to secure state and federal startup funds for a Woodward line at least out through Birmingham. Ideally, in ten years we'll be comparing and contrasting Woodward light rail to BRT on other avenues, and seeing what works. Ideally.

You make a valid point. However, that doesn't change the fact that Washington has not made good on its' promise to build mass transit in Detroit. The federal government promised to build a light-rail line down Woodward from 8-Mile to Jefferson back in the 70's and all Detroit got was the People Mover, which was only one part of a larger plan

Blame that on SMART and Oakland County

too many people in the region/state are against expanded mass transit. I don't see it happening in the next 10 years at all. Bankrupted city + tea party legislature = forget it.

I agree with your analysis.

The second group of people isn't very tuned in; the first group needs to keep pressing. I feel there will be a moment, once M1 is running and being used, for southern Oakland mayors [[and maybe even LBP if he can be lobbied to do something good as his final act) to join with Duggan [[and perhaps even Snyder in his final year) to secure state and federal startup funds for a Woodward line at least out through Birmingham. Ideally, in ten years we'll be comparing and contrasting Woodward light rail to BRT on other avenues, and seeing what works. Ideally.
    Here, pass that over so I can get a hit. I want to see this "vision" too. Dugan, Snyder, and LBP, walking hand in hand through a field of daisies.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Here, pass that over so I can get a hit. I want to see this "vision" too. Dugan, Snyder, and LBP, walking hand in hand through a field of daisies.
    Yeah, just make sure the Detroit mower gang don't come and ruin the photo opportunity...

Yeah but we have some nice rail trails. What a waste of infrastructure

All of this self-pitying hand-wringing gets on my nerves. It's really simple, kids:

1. The Federal government absolutely never pays 100% of the cost of any infrastructure project. There absolutely has to be a local match.

2. Detroit [[the region) has never been willing to provide funding for transit projects in order to provide the local match.

3. Therefore Detroit is devoid of decent mass transit, not because of anything Washington did or didn't do, but because Detroit is not willing to ante up.

That's all there is to it. We could have fixed this any time in the last fifty or sixty years, but didn't; we can fix it any time in the next fifty or sixty years, but probably won't.

There's some rail construction starting in Detroit on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    There's some rail construction starting in Detroit on Monday.
    If it don't will you buy me lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If it don't will you buy me lunch?
    Planner you are beginning to chat like me

A much cheaper, and less disruptive plan, for the Woodward line:: A dedicated group of clean, safe, new buses for the same route. There, I just saved the planners millions. They could apply the savings to some new police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    A much cheaper, and less disruptive plan, for the Woodward line:: A dedicated group of clean, safe, new buses for the same route. There, I just saved the planners millions. They could apply the savings to some new police officers.
    That is not what the people or the politicos want. Both have been very vocal and when planners presented them several options, they chose the train instead. This was not selected in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    All of this self-pitying hand-wringing gets on my nerves. It's really simple, kids:

1. The Federal government absolutely never pays 100% of the cost of any infrastructure project. There absolutely has to be a local match.

2. Detroit [[the region) has never been willing to provide funding for transit projects in order to provide the local match.

3. Therefore Detroit is devoid of decent mass transit, not because of anything Washington did or didn't do, but because Detroit is not willing to ante up.

That's all there is to it. We could have fixed this any time in the last fifty or sixty years, but didn't; we can fix it any time in the next fifty or sixty years, but probably won't.
    and this is why the region will continue to economically/socially suffer [[but mostly the poorer communities) for years to come.. ah well..

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is not what the people or the politicos want. Both have been very vocal and when planners presented them several options, they chose the train instead. This was not selected in a vacuum.
    Even more importantly from the standpoint of practicality, it isn't what the people providing the private portion of the funding want. They view this as a way of improving the image of greater Downtown and the attractiveness of the Woodward corridor. The actual transportation benefits of the line, running curbside with no dedicated lane, are probably minor, and in any case not central to the reason it is being built. Buses would not accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Even more importantly from the standpoint of practicality, it isn't what the people providing the private portion of the funding want. They view this as a way of improving the image of greater Downtown and the attractiveness of the Woodward corridor. The actual transportation benefits of the line, running curbside with no dedicated lane, are probably minor, and in any case not central to the reason it is being built. Buses would not accomplish the same thing.
    In other words, a linear people mover and parking shuttle.

Groundbreaking is not starting tomorrow as expected

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast