Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Senior Friendship Day @ Chene Park

I am so sorry I didn't post this event. It was today and just fantastic. Free everything including lunch. This is an event discontinued years ago by Parks and recs and restarted at the behest of our mayor. It was so organized and well run.

The highlights were Ike Mckinnon on stage doing a duet with a staffer that has an amazing operatic. She got him to sing " it's a wonderful world". Mayor Duggan said he was sorry he miss that.

Alexander Zonjeck [[Sp) proformed a whole set, just fabulous. His keyboardist was one of the finest in the country, Chris Codish. The whole band was superb.

Sorry to break my post up but I get called away or write too much and time out. Alexander had a surprise for us too, Thornetta Davis came on stage and did a whole set with them too.

Fun too was Seniors in Motion who did the hustle on stage. They came out to dance while he was performing in front of the stage. He was totally charmed and said he should take them on the road with.

The emcee/comedian kept doing this bit, "I am so Detroit that..." Seniors came up to relay various memories. He kept saying wow that's historic stuff. He seemed genuinely surprised at the ages of many people that were there.

The volunteers were all teen recruits from various rec centers and churches and so charming it could make you cry. Maybe 50 in all.