Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Free Press Ranks Detroit's 5 Best Mayors; Coleman Young Finishes 4th

Only fourth?

From DeadlineDetroit via Dan Austin [HistoricDetroit.org] of the Freep.

The Free Press looks to the past in Tuesday's edition and publishes a list of Detroit's five best mayors in connection with the city's 313th birthday Thursday.

Compiled by staffer Dan Austin, the list includes:

1) Hazen Pingree [[1890-1897)

2) Frank Murphy [[1930-1933)

3) John C. Lodge [[Dec. 5, 1922 to April 9, 1923, then again from Aug. 2, 1924 to Nov. 21, 1924 and from Jan. 10, 1928 to Jan. 4, 1930.

4) Coleman Young [[1974 to 1994)

5) James Couzens [[1919 to 1923)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Only fourth?

From DeadlineDetroit via Dan Austin [Buildings of Detroit] of the Freep.

Pingree was obviously the best. After that it isn't a particularly strong field--Frank Murphy was a distinguished person, but he was only mayor for four years at a time when Detroit was in terrible shape. He did do what he could, and should get credit for that. Young was notable for his longevity [[too long), his wit, and his status as the first black mayor, but in my opinion he did a terrible job of managing the city, above and beyond the ongoing decay during his tenure for which he wasn't primarily responsible. If he is fourth-best, it is a not a very positive commentary on Detroit's electorate over the past few hundred years. My guess is that there is some recency bias here--Young was better than Kilpatrick or Bing, and I think somehow Archer was too bland to stick in people's minds.

Let's hope Duggan can climb up the rankings over the next few years. The city could use a top-flight mayor for a while.
    Last edited by mwilbert; July-22-14 at 10:50 AM.

Three worst black mayors in Detroit:

1. Kwame Kilpatrick [[The Black Godfather, The Playa, The Pimp, Y'alls Boy)

2. Coleman A. Young [[The Bigot, Orville Hubbard in Reverse)

3. Dave Bing [[The Lame Duck, The Sell Out!)

Four worst white mayors in Detroit:

1. Charles Bowles [[The Klan Mayor)

2. Albert Cobo [[The Racist Container)

3. Jerome P. Cavanaugh [[The Urban Failure)

4. Roman Gribbs [[The Lame Duck regional failure)

Best black mayor in Detroit in the 20th Century

Dennis Archer [[The Regional Renaissance Man)

Best mayor in Detroit so far in the 21st Century:

Mike Duggan [[The Regional Energizer)
    Last edited by Danny; July-22-14 at 11:06 AM.

let the flames begin.

Hazen Pingree wins by a landslide.

I never had an issue with Mayor Young. Everything that they printed was true. I liked him better than Archer who bloated City govt, cut deals so his kids could have in on the action redevloping the area around Sinbad's, andd appointed friends and family in ways that made Kwame think that it was okay to do it.

Kwame was a thief and I blame him for taking away much of my houses value.

Only fourth?

From DeadlineDetroit via Dan Austin [Buildings of Detroit] of the Freep.
    Haven't run BuildingsofDetroit in years. I've been at HistoricDetroit.org for a bit, though.

Thanks for the share, Lowell. If you want to read the whole story, go to the freep. I'm surprised more people on here didn't attack me over CAY ...

http://www.freep.com/article/2014072...detroit-mayors

Young actually balanced the city's budget while several of his predecessors ran Detroit into the red

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I never had an issue with Mayor Young. Everything that they printed was true. I liked him better than Archer who bloated City govt, cut deals so his kids could have in on the action redevloping the area around Sinbad's, andd appointed friends and family in ways that made Kwame think that it was okay to do it.

Interesting, I thought I was one of the few that knew Archer had a family and friends plan.

Graimark my favorite by far, evicted people through eminant domain. The debacle was so bad they had to change the name to Jefferson Meadows I believe. His attorney son was involved in that crap

So according to this article, Pingree was a good mayor because he took on the rapacious private street lighting utility and formed PLD. Couzens was a good mayor because he took on the rapacious private streetcar company and formed DSR. And Young was a good mayor because he...laid off a bunch of city workers and gave a bunch of public money and land to big corporations?

I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusions, but I find some of the reasoning a bit incoherent.

I think Detroit's had enough crooked Mayors that it will keep Bing out of the top 5. But his dithering and general incompetence led Detroit right into Bankruptcy. Perhaps it was unavoidable but Duggan or Ken Cockrel Jr. could have done a better job managing the city and making the fall a little less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    So according to this article, Pingree was a good mayor because he took on the rapacious private street lighting utility and formed PLD. Couzens was a good mayor because he took on the rapacious private streetcar company and formed DSR. And Young was a good mayor because he...laid off a bunch of city workers and gave a bunch of public money and land to big corporations?

I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusions, but I find some of the reasoning a bit incoherent.
    Bear in mind that we're measuring DETROIT'S mayors. It's like figuring out which is the smallest piece of shit in a toilet full of nothing but shit.

None of them, in the grand scheme of things, we're all that impressive like Giuliani in NYC or Daley in Chicago.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-22-14 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Young actually balanced the city's budget while several of his predecessors ran Detroit into the red
    I've lived and / or worked in Detroit since 1957. At the beginning of CAY's first term the city was still a mostly livable place with the vast majority of neighborhoods and business districts intact. Yes we were recovering from the riot and flight from the city had begun. A the end of Young's last term the city looked pretty much as it does now. Don't say this isn't true, I saw it all happen. Was it all CAY's fault? Of course not, however, in my opinion [[which I think is informed) He was an absolutely terrible mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I've lived and / or worked in Detroit since 1957. At the beginning of CAY's first term the city was still a mostly livable place with the vast majority of neighborhoods and business districts intact. Yes we were recovering from the riot and flight from the city had begun. A the end of Young's last term the city looked pretty much as it does now. Don't say this isn't true, I saw it all happen. Was it all CAY's fault? Of course not, however, in my opinion [[which I think is informed) He was an absolutely terrible mayor.
    Was it really that CAY was a terrible mayor, or that TPTB in the region simply didn't like his way of doing things and decided to take their ball home, Detroit's fate be damned?
    Last edited by 313WX; July-22-14 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not to defend Coleman Young too much, because I don't think he was a terribly effective mayor over the long run of his tenure. But in terms of the continued decline of the city there is, of course, the factor that thousands and thousands of people of a certain color left simply because they couldn't stand the fact of having a "n----r mayor"
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-23-14 at 11:39 AM.

Freep story quotes heavily from the "Mao's little red book" of CAY quotations; buy the book, but for a quick taste: http://www.freep.com/article/2014072.../coleman-young

I think Mayor Young was a visionary and the right person for the job and the time from about 1973 to 1980, and less so afterward. The problems on the ground had changed; the problems as he perceived them remained the same. It was absolutely a thrill and honor to have met him, and overall I remember him quite fondly. Young v. Bonds reminded me of the Costell-Ali sparring in that it was amusing and elevated, somehow, the stature of both above what either could have been without the other.

My very favorite thing ever in newspapering was the Detroit News referring to, without [[obviously) quoting, something the Mayor had said, giving most of the quote verbatim and adding "followed by His Honor's favorite twelve-letter compound expletive". Now THAT is journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

I agree, CAY was a better mayor than ever given credit for. The Free Press ran a article last year I believe that listed what mayor's was responsible for Detroit's decline. Albert Cobo was sighted as the mayor who presided over the beginning of Detroit's spiral. Followed by Louis Miriani [[ a devout racist). CAY was deemed the most fiscally responsible of them all. He kept the books balanced and there wasn't any deficits under his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Was it really that CAY was a terrible mayor, or that TPTB in the region simply didn't like his way of doing things and decided to take their ball home, Detroit's fate be damned?
    ^^This. He was constantly at odds with the suburbs, who weren't going to cooperate with him regardless of the circumstances, and vice-versa. He could be toxic and had his warts, but not any more than L Brooks who to this day has the same F'd up attitude.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-23-14 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^This. He was constantly at odds with the suburbs, who weren't going to cooperate with him regardless of the circumstances, and vice-versa. He could be toxic and had his warts, but not any more than L Brooks who to this day has the same F'd up attitude.
    Yep. Same with Jim Fouts and Orville Hubbard [[mayors of 2 of Detroit's largest suburbs for a long time).

But apparently, at least in Detroit, it's perfectly ok if the person who's of the same skin color as yourself is imperfect.

Only fourth?

Should be fourth from the bottom, or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I agree, CAY was a better mayor than ever given credit for.

He kept the books balanced and there wasn't any deficits under his watch.
    Which books? The ones he left for people to see? Or the real ones?

I'd say he was a much bigger crook that known to have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Should be fourth from the bottom, or lower.

Which books? The ones he left for people to see? Or the real ones?

I'd say he was a much bigger crook that known to have been.

We wouldn't expect you to be un-bias anyway. Young was a better mayor than his predecessors whether you agree or not.

^^ Capone was a better businessman too.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    We also have to think about what what issue were actually in his control and those that were not. The auto industry was clearly challenged throughout his time as mayor, he obviously couldn't make the Big 3 make a car that Americans wanted to buy. That means we also have to consider what things he could have done, if any, to attract new business to to the city.

The Free Press also ranked the five worst mayors:

1. Kwame Kilpatrick [[Jan. 4, 2002, to Sept. 18, 2008)
    2. Richard Reading [[Jan. 4, 1938, to Jan. 1, 1940)
    3. Charles Bowles [[Jan. 14, 1930 to Sept. 22, 1930)
    4. Albert Cobo [[Jan. 3, 1950-Sept. 12, 1957)
    5. Louis Miriani [[Sept. 12, 1957-Jan. 2, 1962)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The Free Press also ranked the five worst mayors:

1. Kwame Kilpatrick [[Jan. 4, 2002, to Sept. 18, 2008)
    2. Richard Reading [[Jan. 4, 1938, to Jan. 1, 1940)
    3. Charles Bowles [[Jan. 14, 1930 to Sept. 22, 1930)
    4. Albert Cobo [[Jan. 3, 1950-Sept. 12, 1957)
    5. Louis Miriani [[Sept. 12, 1957-Jan. 2, 1962)
    Dave Bing should have been on that list.

While his administration [[pre-EM/Consent Agreement) wasn't really "corrupt", his incompetence accelerated Detroit into bankruptcy court.

Under Bing's administration, by the time the Consent Agreement was signed [[3 years into is term), just to name a few of his blunders:

*The city came just short of missing payroll for its workers
    *Half of the streetlights weren't in working order
    *The police stations were no longer open 24 hours
    *He ended 24 hour bus service
    *Millions of dollars in federal grant money went "unspent" and had to be sent back.
    *Police officers were forced to work 12 hour shifts and were probably just short of walking off the job.
    *There was absolutely no progress in demolishing the thousands of vacant structures throughout the city
    *Emergency response times were over 1 hour
    *His cabinet of appointees was a literal revolving door
    Last edited by 313WX; July-23-14 at 03:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast