Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Stanley's Other Place closing next week

Arguably one of the biggest names in Detroit Chinese food, Stanley's Other Place will be closing it's doors next week. Now that Chung's and Stanley's are closed, it looks like all over the former restaurant giants have left.

Wasn't there a Stanley's in the New Center area? I remember going there back in the 60's. There were so many great Chinese and Polynesian restaurants in Detroit. Some of my favorites included Victor Lims, Mauna Loa, Forbidden City, Hoy Tin, and Chin Tiki. Now it seems all the Chinese restaurants in Detroit are called China One and they're all carry outs.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Wasn't there a Stanley's in the New Center area? I remember going there back in the 60's. There were so many great Chinese and Polynesian restaurants in Detroit. Some of my favorites included Victor Lims, Mauna Loa, Forbidden City, Hoy Tin, and Chin Tiki. Now it seems all the Chinese restaurants in Detroit are called China One and they're all carry outs.
    Yes, thus the name "Stanley Other Place" for the 8 Mile and Woodward location...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes, thus the name "Stanley Other Place" for the 8 Mile and Woodward location...
    Were they both open at the same time or did Stanley's Other Place replace the New Center Stanley's?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Were they both open at the same time or did Stanley's Other Place replace the New Center Stanley's?
    Stanley's New Center location - a googie masterpiece...

I noticed the Other Place listed for $650,000 a couple of month ago, so perhaps it sold. I had many nice meals there over the last 25 years. The food has been consistently good for the style they cook. The interior of the dining room is still striking, even if worn.

The "Other Place" opened while the New Center location [[Stanley's Mannia Cafe) was still in operation, but the new outlasted the old by a few decades.

It was bound to happen. Drove by there on a Saturday night, and the parking lot was damn near empty.

Thanks for mentioning Chung's, Squirtle. That was my folks place. All of the restaurant owners knew each other. It was a different era.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It was bound to happen. Drove by there on a Saturday night, and the parking lot was damn near empty.
    They should have called Gordon Ramsey.