Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Local Rail Trail designated by national organization as trail of the month.

http://www.railstotrails.org/news/re...ives/1407.html

The Macomb Orchard trail has received an honor from the Rails-to-Trails conservancy. Just putting it out there for the good and welfare of all to enjoy the greater Detroit region and all of its assets.

I've biked the Macomb Orchard Trail. It's really nice, though Romeo and Armada could've done a better job connecting downtown to the trail. If you biked the trail without knowing much about the area, you'd miss the heart of both communities despite being ridiculously close.

Michigan and Metro Detroit are really at the forefront of rail trails. The City has a proposal to loop the Dequindre Cut eventually over to the Western Riverfront. We're off to a nice start, but still have a ways to go. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3511188.html

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I've biked the Macomb Orchard Trail. It's really nice, though Romeo and Armada could've done a better job connecting downtown to the trail. If you biked the trail without knowing much about the area, you'd miss the heart of both communities despite being ridiculously close.
    Also Paint Creek/Clinton River are amazing trails and I miss them quite a bit. I have considered keeping my mountain bike specifically to take those trails from time to time. Hoping Detroit proper gets some neat rails to trails things soon!

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    ... Romeo and Armada could've done a better job connecting downtown to the trail. If you biked the trail without knowing much about the area, you'd miss the heart of both communities despite being ridiculously close.
    That's too bad. Utica is in exactly the opposite situation.

Utica is currently at the north end of the Clinton River Park Trail. They made a few impressive improvements documented here a few years ago. Once bikes arrive at the beautiful Memorial Park, there's nowhere else to go but through downtown Utica. That was a pretty shrewd move if done by design.

The trail is planned to connect farther north to River Bends trails but it's going to have to be carved through some pretty rough terrain first.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-21-14 at 05:38 PM.

I used to jog/bike ride the trail almost daily [[not in it's entirety obviously) when I lived in Shelby. It's such a nice ride and the perspective of exploring the county while not being in a car is very cool.

The only bummer about rail trails is you have to go back the same way you came. I'm good for 20 miles, then I need a nap. Check out the Avoca to Wadhams trail that starts in Port Huron. Closer than you think, and a very cool ride over an 1880's trestle bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    ... a very cool ride over an 1880's trestle bridge.
    Wow. Talk about your adaptive reuse. Something like that couldn't have been done from scratch economically and look at what value was preserved!

Someone deserves a pat on the back for that project.

More photos here.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-22-14 at 12:18 PM.

Great scenery and flat. Kind of like the WO&D, in Virginia.