Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

What happens to the Eddystone?

BTW:

Today is Mike Ilitch's B-day. The crowd at Comerica stood and sang him happy birthday.

He is loved by Tiger fans.

Maybe if the Ilitch family can pull off their grand design he might be loved by folks here [[other than Bham1982. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Yo, look alive, that is actually mainly a story about the two hotels on Park Avenue. But thanks for posting, as it contains at least some further acknowledgement of the structures by Chris.

WTF does he mean when he says, 'well, you know, these 13 story buildings are way out of scale.' Why on earth would that doom them!? Is this code for: they're too big to renovate, it will cost us too much? Because having a couple of "tall" [[and these aren't even tall, this in an f'ing city) buildings in the mix would only add a pleasing, urban element to the district. They could be hotels or residential that overlook across the district as a whole and gave onto the entirety of downtown, commanding higher rent than the townhouse looking stuff proposed elsewhere. You want an "urban entertainment district," bro?-- then development these "tall" buildings ASAP. What a clownish quote.
    I agree it's a strange statement, it's as if he's saying since they won't match what they're planning to build that they might be out place. Which is silly, because that difference in height and styles is what makes cities great. Even though the plans are for mixed used, I don't want them to bring a suburban mentality to it. Everything shouldn't look and feel the same like a subdivision. This also brings up the issue of their other historic properties, there's no mention of them in any of on these plans. As much as I dislike the lots on Woodward, I rather that they focus on development their existing vacant history properties that they own like Detroit Life Bldg, the UA,etc before new construction.

Awesome renderings. Considering how long he has wanted the new arena I expected nothing less than him going all out. Let's get the shovel in the ground fast Mike and build it all at once, just like u said. Even billionaires have to keep up with the Gilbert's. An exception for Matty of course, his business plan is to blight everything.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW:

Today is Mike Ilitch's B-day. The crowd at Comerica stood and sang him happy birthday.

He is loved by Tiger fans.

Maybe if the Ilitch family can pull off their grand design he might be loved by folks here [[other than Bham1982. ).
    Eh, I'm a Tigers fan and definitely don't "love" Mike Ilitch. I've been disappointed with him many times in the past and while this vision looks great [[despite so much public money being used), it's still just a vision until built. Talk to me in five years and maybe my opinion of him will change.

Also, I'd agree with others - the notion that the Eddystone and Park Avenue might not be the right size for the district just sounds absurd.

I don't know why Ilitch should be getting credit for spending millions on public infrastructure. That's not his money that's being used to do those upgrades.

Default I hope they preserve some of the old buildings

There is some historic apartments, and Victorian homes on Charlotte Street. This is part of the character of the City.

Default Love It

As of TODAY, July 20, 2014 everything we thought or posted in the past isn't very relevant and today a completely different vision, dream for downtown and Midtown and much of it is to be built concurrently by 2017. Light clearing of the site in fall 2014; heavy duty work begins in spring 2015.

[[We have a thread with almost 500 posts but are they still relevant? I'd say not. This vision seems to have exceed my wishes by many fold).

http://www.freep.com/article/2014072...SS06/307200110

EDIT: Just read Bill's article in Crains. The articles are complimentary, each has unique information.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...WS03/140719845

I'm starting a new thread, if folks want to utilize it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moderator Note: As this represents a milestone in this project, continued discussion will proceed in this new thread. Previous discussion begun in June 2013 may be read the now closed-to-posting thread:
    Plans Unveiled For $650M Red Wings Arena, Entertainment District In Detroit

Images above and below from Olympia Development Press Release:

This is just to cool of a project

Downtown employment is still quite small therefore a significant number of these young people who would be interested in living downtown will have to be reverse commuters if we are to see an influx in the thousands and not just a few hundred. This is happening in Toronto. Are there enough 23-35 yr. olds who want to live downtown and make enough money to do so and drive to their OC offices?

Define "quite small"

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What happens to the Eddystone?

It will be there in the plans as part of the mix used loft, fancy apts and condo complex next to the multi-level parking garage.

L. Brooks Patterson is pissing in his pants this morning seeing the renderings.

BTW, I'm trying to discern what will be built first and which is more speculative [[depending on 'market conditions').

As was mentioned both the Freep and Bill Shea both reported on the housing near Comerica Park.

Take that, the beautiful arena, the buildings along the perimeter of the arena [[bounded by Fisher/Woodward/Cass/Charlotte) and already my cup is more than half full.) such as some housing, retail, etc.

I believe all of this is 'baked into' the Ilitches plans for 2017. Other projects are more iffy, I'd think, BUT let's get this done and see how the areas near Cass Park, Brush Park, etc. develop.

I wonder if all of this isn't a shot in the arm for housing on the other side of Woodward????
    When the Pistons come back to Detroit. L.B. Patterson would have a heart attack!

Fewer buildings destined to be demo list:

1. two victorian homes on Cass Ave.

2. The Veteran Center on Park St.

3. Few abandoned apts. and hotels on Temple St. between Park and Cass Streets.

4. The historic Temple Bar Building and and other former Chinatown Buildings.

5. Two victorian homes in Cass and Charlotte St.

6. The vacant elderly home.

7. The abandon gas station on Clifford St.

8. Possible demolition of American Building.

9. The Manhattan Apts. Buildings behind Masonic Temple.

10.. The abandon Apts. across the street from the Masonic Temple.

11. The abandon Apt. complexes on Henry St.

13. Comet Sports Bar in Henry St.

14. Stadium Liquor on Cass and Henry Streets.

15. Unity Cab terminal on Henry St.

16. Harry's Detroit Bar.

17. Abandon small apt complex in Park St across the Veterans Center.

18. Temple Hotel and other next door victorian homes and Detroit Veteran Center Warehouse Building on Temple St.

19. The removal of off DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS in the area.

Then the construction of Little Caesar's Palace will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When the Pistons come back to Detroit. L.B. Patterson would have a heart attack!
    Or he might just go on another bender. Come to think of it, he might do that anyway.

Even if the most beautiful and functional arena in the whole world is built downtown, by itself that isn't going to cause the Pistons to move. It might make the Palace less profitable overall, but most likely it would still be more economic for the team to stay at the Palace. I'd prefer they were downtown, but their problems have little to do with where they play, and a lot to do with how they play.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

The absolute worst in the league at filling seats for three straight years. They sucked this year, but I am confident that this would be at least middle of the road league-wide if they played downtown. They'd be much more on the entertainment radar and would have a larger fan base if they played downtown.

This new arena will patiently await them. Whenever they are ready, downtown will surely be their next move.

Meanwhile the Red Wings, who were mediocre and playing in their aging facility downtown, averaged 110.4% capacity and were second only to the defending champs, Chicago. http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance Now it is possible that these stats include the Michigan Stadium game, but even going back another year, you see that the JLA was at 100%.

Oh and then the pathetic Lions, they filled their downtown venue at 99% last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct
    Last edited by Mackinaw; July-20-14 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I can tell you that at least one person at Olympia Development monitors this site and others

Since they're getting most of their ideas from this forum the least they can do is name it The DetroitYes Arena.

BTW, those are hate surface parking are going to be thrilled.

I took a screen shot from today's game on Fox Sports Detroit and they had essentially one of the blimp-like shots. [[for whatever reason I can't get it inserted).

One can see all of the surface parking for the game and there is a TON of it.

Yet, one can also see where the two big lots in front of Comerica will be gone; lot of the parking lot behind home plate [[to be replaced by a parking garage); maybe the trapezoid lot in right field; and, of course, all of the surface parking on Woodward which will be the site of the new arena. And, also [[?) an office building on W. Columbia @ Woodward to replace surface parking?

The area will look much, much different without all of that surface parking.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-20-14 at 09:35 PM.

I took a screen shot from today's game on Fox Sports Detroit and they had essentially one of the blimp-like shots. [[for whatever reason I can't get it inserted).

Yet, one can also see where the two big lots in front of Comerica will be gone; lot of the parking lot behind home plate [[to be replaced by a parking garage); maybe the trapezoid lot in right field; and, of course, all of the surface parking on Woodward which will be the site of the new arena. And, also [[?) an office building on W. Columbia @ Woodward to replace surface parking?

I know I am, though all of that development next to CoPa is 5-8 years past due in my book. I will say that this is not a Detroit-unique issue. Almost anytime stadia are built via land grab the grabbing authority takes more than is needed for just the stadium, and even in urban areas there is this mindset that some surface lots are okay. The usual mindset is that they'll 'eventually' get built on. Just pathetic though that surface lots are even allowed in these circumstances.

In exchange for the wait, I hope a quality, attractive, not disney-world like set of buildings rises. Spare me the fake brick in exchange for glass and steel, if that's the way you're thinking, Olympia. And that thing beyond RF on Adams better have a residential component. It appears that units above the third floor would have a stadium view [[if distant).

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Oh and then the pathetic Lions, they filled their downtown venue at 99% last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct
    I don't think so. Those figures are the official figures for tickets sold, but they don't account for the large number of no-shows. In any case it doesn't really matter, because I'm not claiming that the Pistons wouldn't draw better downtown [[although I'm not claiming they would, either). I'm claiming that because the Pistons own the Palace, they are probably better off financially playing there even if they would draw better downtown, and therefore are not likely to move anytime soon.

Here's a cool flyover from channel 7's chopper from a year ago. It's pretty amazing to think how much space is going to be filled in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Here's a cool flyover from channel 7's chopper from a year ago. It's pretty amazing to think how much space is going to be filled in a short amount of time.

Absolutely. The arena will eat up a large number of empty blocks.

It would take forever for those blocks to develop one by one [[or 1/3 by 1/3, i.e. a single building on a block which could hold three buildings) via traditional development.

"It would take forever for those blocks to develop one by one [[or 1/3 by 1/3, i.e. a single building on a block which could hold three buildings) via traditional development."

It takes forever in Detroit because you have land speculators along with empire builders, like Ilitch, who sit on property forever, whether there's a demand for development or not. Are we supposed to believe that the entire area behind the Fox/Fillmore is almost entirely vacant because there was no demand for that property? Add to that the city's Byzantine process of permitting and the interference run by the likes of the DDA and Demolition Jackson, when he was in charge, and you have an environment that discourages any kind of development other than the mega developments like Ilitch is proposing. This isn't just a Detroit thing. I've seen this in other cities where they actively discourage incremental development hoping, sometimes for decades, for some mega development to suck up all that vacant land.

So... I notice on the site plan that Woodward has been upgraded with a landscaped median - like a boulevard with Michigan lefts... is this just the standard verdant liberties taken with most renderings or are these part of the actual "infrastructure upgrades?" Perhaps this is is part of MDOT's rebuilding? Anyone know?

Also, again in the site plan, what is the significance of the white oval hash marks that run down Woodward between I75 and GCP?

I love the renderings but they are just that at this point. Pretty positive energy for a dead area of Detroit. My only question is, Ilitch is 85 years old, will he be here to see the end result?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast