Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Interest building to build a 5K Soccer Stadium

It seems interest is growing to get a USL team and building a 5K stadium for that team and the Detroit FC. [[The story line was that Detroit FC has outgrown Cass Tech).

Some sites mentioned. And was mentioned two clubs would share the stadium thereby providing more dates. [[USL would be 20).

I still favor Ilitch selling some of his land near Temple and 3rd [[?). After all, if fans can get to Cass Tech they surely can get to a new stadium a few blocks away. That land has expandability into a larger stadium, if needed for MLS.

Sound logic?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ut-bigger-home
    Last edited by emu steve; July-18-14 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ut-bigger-home

It seems interest is growing to get a USL team and building a 5K stadium for that team and the Detroit FC. [[The story line was that Detroit FC has outgrown Cass Tech).

Some sites mentioned. And was mentioned two clubs would share the stadium thereby providing more dates. [[USL would be 20).

I still favor Ilitch selling some of his land near Temple and 3rd [[?). After all, if fans can get to Cass Tech they surely can get to a new stadium a few blocks away.

Sound logic?
    I'm glad they're doing great, but you don't know how long the crest will last. Have they approached Wayne State?

its hard to say.. it may be a world cup peak that is sparking the interest in DFC, but then again, they did double their ticket prices from last year and it didn't hurt..... I enjoy it but have only been to half the number of games I went to last year, price sucks.....

Speaking of Ilitch giving up land I've been hoping for years that he would give up the wasteland behind the Fox, what is ever going to happen with that area now that we know that his new hockey arena isn't being built there? How about the old Tiger Stadium site?

I vote for Illitch west-of-Fox wasteland for a single soccer stadium [[make it 10k plus...better for MLS prospects) for both teams. Then I will hope and pray that DCFC remains wildly popular [[much more so than that other franchise) and becomes THE Detroit team that goes on to MLS. I mean, they might as well fold that other BS now and just get behind CITY.

Goose, as you note, the demand is growing steadily, and the games were raucous and well attend last year too. I am not concerned about them falling off.

WolverineGirl, I'd say Tiger Stadium is not an option now that there the RFC out for a mixed use development, which responds better to the residential and commercial trends of Corktown than a stadium [[and the field will be preserved for youth baseball).

I find this sentence interesting:

"Duggan said he did not want to get into specifics about a possible stadium location, but has looked at sites along the Detroit River, Belle Isle and along the proposed M-1 line along Woodward

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz37xG7y1l5

I find the statement 'along the proposed M-1 line...' interesting.

There really isn't sufficient land directly bordering on Woodward. Sorry, Dan, but Ilitch has the biggest chunk.

Are there any parcels of land big enough to build a small soccer stadium say 2 or 3 blocks off or Woodward between downtown and Wayne State other than the obvious ones behind the Fox, near the new arena, etc.?

I'm thinking of land like Park/Cass/Charlotte/Temple? or maybe, Cass, Temple, Ledyard and Cass Park? [[those areas could use building).
    Last edited by emu steve; July-19-14 at 05:21 PM.

Uh-oh. Likely yet another "regional tax" to support "economic development" under the guise of a subsidy for a billionaire and blighting of the streetscape.

I'm sure the taxpayer funded consultants are busy writing up the report claiming "tens of thousands of jobs created", "billions in spinoff development" and "mixed use neighborhoods".

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Uh-oh. Likely yet another "regional tax" to support "economic development" under the guise of a subsidy for a billionaire and blighting of the streetscape.

I'm sure the taxpayer funded consultants are busy writing up the report claiming "tens of thousands of jobs created", "billions in spinoff development" and "mixed use neighborhoods".
    Yes, get rid of blight with a stadium.

Interesting thing about the cost of a 5K or 20K stadium.

As one might guess, I'm a fan of EMU and the MAC. MAC teams don't play in home stadia like the Big House or Spartan Stadium.

The Akron team [[called the Zips) a few years ago built a beautiful stadium seating around 27K with beautiful press box, loge and club seating, etc. and spent MUCH less than 100M. [[Akron owned their own land - it is on campus.). I'm tempted to say around 75M, but I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: It was only 61M!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCis...%93Summa_Field See Structures and Facilities. Also see photos.

A 5K stadium should be a mere fraction of that amount, subject to land cost.

Q: Can Cass Tech play football at their football field? Thought I remember after the new school was built that the area for the football field was too small to have two end zones.

A soccer stadium near Cass could double as a home for Cass Tech.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-20-14 at 04:43 AM.

Yes, get rid of blight with a stadium.
    No, the stadium creates the blight.

In Detroit, the deadest downtown blocks those containing Comerica and Ford Field. That isn't a coincidence, and that's why sports arenas are usually put away from intact neighborhoods, because they are so damaging to the streetscape.

The massive parking needs, the huge, monotonous, anti-pedestrian streetfronts, and the fact the blocks are dead 95% of the time pretty much guarantees a moribund neighborhood. Comerica tore down prewar highrises for a parking field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    No, the stadium creates the blight.

In Detroit, the deadest downtown blocks those containing Comerica and Ford Field. That isn't a coincidence, and that's why sports arenas are usually put away from intact neighborhoods, because they are so damaging to the streetscape.

The massive parking needs, the huge, monotonous, anti-pedestrian streetfronts, and the fact the blocks are dead 95% of the time pretty much guarantees a moribund neighborhood. Comerica tore down prewar highrises for a parking field.
    NO new parking required for a 5K soccer stadium within the sports and entertainment district and a stadium is more appealing than a 'field of weeds'...

I would rather forego the 5k stadium and just get a 20k pitch and a MLS team. I was watching the Kansas City vs LA match yesterday. Stands in KC were full, over 20k. If KC and Columbus can support MLS I think Detroit can.

I feel that a temporary soccer field could be erected that fit the urban feel. Just a basic large field somewhere in the Russell/Forest area where there are wrap around the field bleacher stands with a cover over it, lighting, etc. Something like that baseball field that was once next to the Budd plant near Warren and Conners but on a larger scale

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I feel that a temporary soccer field could be erected that fit the urban feel. Just a basic large field somewhere in the Russell/Forest area where there are wrap around the field bleacher stands with a cover over it, lighting, etc. Something like that baseball field that was once next to the Budd plant near Warren and Conners but on a larger scale
    Urban feel certainly fits for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I would rather forego the 5k stadium and just get a 20k pitch and a MLS team. I was watching the Kansas City vs LA match yesterday. Stands in KC were full, over 20k. If KC and Columbus can support MLS I think Detroit can.
    Sorry if I'm contradicting what I've been posting [[my wishes aren't Ilitch's wishes) but I believe the Ilitches plan mostly housing for the Western part of the sports and entertainment district. Mostly townhome styled houses????

Based on that, I don't see any soccer stadium, 5K or 20K in the sports and entertainment district.

I think ultimately it would be a mistake [[to have a 5 or 20K stadium outside the sports and entertainment district), but the Ilitches control most of that land and if it doesn't fit their master plan, then that is it...

Now if Christopher is/becomes a soccer fan, it is a 'whole new ball game' [[or match). Pun intended. He could buy into a USL franchise with Duggan and things change greatly.

I have promoted the idea of a huge recreational facility [[think Randall's Island NYC) with residential component for the former Brewster projects site. It fits the area well and would complement the new residential density of midtown and downtown, and provide a bridge to Eastern Market. Anyhow, perhaps a 5k seat stadium fitting a soccer pitch could go there, and then when we get MLS the stadium would still be useful for high school football or soccer from around the region.

Or just skip this rinky-dink stuff and build a 20k seater and get that MLS club. And did I mention, DCFC should be our MLS club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    And did I mention, DCFC should be our MLS club.

DCFC would be a cool name, but it would need a roster upgrade to be competative.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    DCFC would be a cool name, but it would need a roster upgrade to be competative.....
    DCFC is a cool name but the MLS has D.C. United [[in Washington, D.C.) so it wouldn't be licensed.

Detroit City Football Club or Detroit City FC [[or DCFC for short as an acronym) might be okay. E.g., "Detroit City beat D.C. United last night 2 - 1. DCFC scored the winning goal after..."
    Last edited by emu steve; July-21-14 at 04:14 PM.

Why don't they just build more seating at their current field, Cass Tech? Simple deal. Spend a couple of hundred grand and be done with it.

They just turned away three hundred fans after selling out of 2000 tickets. Three hundred folks turned away during the height of the World Cup frenzy does not warrant the demand for a dedicated semi-pro soccer field.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Why don't they just build more seating at their current field, Cass Tech? Simple deal. Spend a couple of hundred grand and be done with it.

They just turned away three hundred fans after selling out of 2000 tickets. Three hundred folks turned away during the height of the World Cup frenzy does not warrant the demand for a dedicated semi-pro soccer field.
    Two questions [[and I don't have a clue to the answers):

1). Can Cass Tech's field be enlarged? Isn't it land locked?

2). Does the USL require more seats [[say 5K?) than Cass Tech's field can provide?

soccer should be used to settle arguments in Detroit.

Two questions [[and I don't have a clue to the answers):

1). Can Cass Tech's field be enlarged? Isn't it land locked?

2). Does the USL require more seats [[say 5K?) than Cass Tech's field can provide?
    I don't see any way a pro team [[USL) would play at a high school field. If we're just talking DCFC, then I would say adding more bleachers is a potential option.

I'd love to see an MLS arena west of the Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    soccer should be used to settle arguments in Detroit.

Soccer or else, do you remember Rock'em, Sock'em robots.

BTW, the cost of a very nice proposed soccer stadium for D.C. is 150M plus land and infrastructure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...wpisrc=nl_buzz

Sorry if I'm contradicting what I've been posting [[my wishes aren't Ilitch's wishes) but I believe the Ilitches plan mostly housing for the Western part of the sports and entertainment district. Mostly townhome styled houses????

Based on that, I don't see any soccer stadium, 5K or 20K in the sports and entertainment district.

I think ultimately it would be a mistake [[to have a 5 or 20K stadium outside the sports and entertainment district), but the Ilitches control most of that land and if it doesn't fit their master plan, then that is it...

Now if Christopher is/becomes a soccer fan, it is a 'whole new ball game' [[or match). Pun intended. He could buy into a USL franchise with Duggan and things change greatly.
    I would love to see a 20k MLS venue in the proposed sports entertainment district. But I do think it could work elsewhere, like the I-275 corridor. Chicago Fire team plays in a burb 13 miles southwest of the loop. I wish the MLS would let us have a team play at Ford Field until a permanent home could be built.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast