Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Total combined prison sentence for all of Steve Utash's attackers = 7.6 years

Split between four men. At Rochelle Riley points out, Steve Utash will spend longer recuperating from his attack than many of his attackers will spend in jail.

But I'm sure these young men learned their lesson and will never break the law again. And other young men in Detroit will certainly learn a cautionary tale of how if you nearly a beat a man to death in the street you MIGHT get up to a YEAR in jail!

And kudos to Wayne County Circuit Court Judge James Callahan for sentencing a 19-year old as a juvenile. James Callahan will be up for re-election again in 2016, so everyone should remember his actions in this case and vote accordingly.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014071...ting-sentences

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014071...ting-sentences

Split between four men. At Rochelle Riley points out, Steve Utash will spend longer recuperating from his attack than many of his attackers will spend in jail.

But I'm sure these young men learned their lesson and will never break the law again. And other young men in Detroit will certainly learn a cautionary tale of how if you nearly a beat a man to death in the street you MIGHT get up to a YEAR in jail!

And kudos to Wayne County Circuit Court Judge James Callahan for sentencing a 19-year old as a juvenile. James Callahan will be up for re-election again in 2016, so everyone should remember his actions in this case and vote accordingly.
    Truly ridiculous and horrible but......many Detroiters, myself included, have been very vocal and angry at the courts for continually giving lenient sentences to punks like this for years. It's good that it is now getting attention but unfortunate that something had to happen to a white guy from the suburbs for this to get the level of press that it needs.

Ask DPD officers how many times they arrest the same violent POS just for the courts to give them a slap on the wrist.

so, sentence everyone to life and leave it at that? Fiscal conservatives, you know people aging to senior-citizen status in prison costs a lot of money in the long run... Of course, if Aramark is still running the food service they might get ptomaine poisoning along the way and die much earlier... "Mandatory minimums" and the lack of post-parole resources have been a great co-contributor to the current state of inner-city America..http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/ju...n-conversation
    Last edited by Hypestyles; July-18-14 at 03:36 PM.

how many years will utash get for driving into that kid?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    Well, since all the reports and video evidence show that the child may have run into the street, and since Utash stopped to help the child [[breaking Detroit norms), I'd say probably not many.

What a sad thing to say. In fact, the tape clearly indicates this kid stepped into moving traffic. Unless of course Mr. Utash was recklessly driving on the sidewalk..... which we know not to be the case.

The fact of the matter is Detroit [[read: That mob, you and the courts alike) has now forced the hand of law abiding citizens. I now harbor zero intention of stopping when the next idiotic punk decides to play "try to touch that moving car" with me in the CoD. No fing way. And I know I'm not alone. Then again, hit-and-run has been a Detroit jewel for some time...... so let's say I'm sticking to status quo.

Oh, and:

Any consequences for that kids parents for letting him play in a busy street with no supervision?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Any consequences for that kids parents for letting him play in a busy street with no supervision?
    A girl friend grew up on Haverhill [[eastside) she was driving to work and saw two kids [[toddlers), naked in the street. she stopped , moved them and went door to door to find where they lived. Her thanks, she found baby momma who bitched her out. Go figure

Thats a stupid thing to say.

I would like to hear Steve Utash's reaction to this news — one way or the other. He seemed to be a fairly magnanimous guy.

I can recall two occasions when kids jumped in front of my car. Fortunately I anticipated both events and so had already slowed to a crawl on the opposite side of the road. Once one kid slapped a basketball out of another kid's hands toward the front of my car. That was not at all funny but no harm done.

Everyone just please be careful around kids. They don't know any better so adults have to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Everyone just please be careful around kids.
    It wouldn't hurt to be careful around gangs of guys hanging around gas stations either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so, sentence everyone to life and leave it at that?
    Because the only two options are life in prison or a slap on the wrist? What do you feel should be done with these men who beat a man so badly he had to be put into a medically-induced coma for days and nearly died? Probation and a fine?

^^^ Makes sense. As a rule I don't stop at gas stations were guys are standing around, hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Makes sense. As a rule I don't stop at gas stations were guys are standing around, hanging out.
    I take the LBP approach and I don't ever fill up in Detroit, I just simply don't feel safe. I'm also the wrong color which contributes to my lake of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I would like to hear Steve Utash's reaction to this news — one way or the other. He seemed to be a fairly magnanimous guy.

I can recall two occasions when kids jumped in front of my car. Fortunately I anticipated both events and so had already slowed to a crawl on the opposite side of the road. Once one kid slapped a basketball out of another kid's hands toward the front of my car. That was not at all funny but no harm done.

Everyone just please be careful around kids. They don't know any better so adults have to compensate.
    Parents should teach kids not to taunt drivers where there is no crosswalk and they don't have the right of way. Saw a bunch of kids doing this shit just yesterday. Bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I take the LBP approach and I don't ever fill up in Detroit, I just simply don't feel safe. I'm also the wrong color which contributes to my lake of comfort.

So that's would be a lesson to all of us. Don't stop at any gas stations and liquor stores in Detroit ghetto hoods for you might get robbed, shot or killed by gang of black males.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Parents should teach kids not to taunt drivers where there is no crosswalk and they don't have the right of way. Saw a bunch of kids doing this shit just yesterday. Bad decision.

Depends of the teaching of the parents. We can't spank them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A girl friend grew up on Haverhill [[eastside) she was driving to work and saw two kids [[toddlers), naked in the street. she stopped , moved them and went door to door to find where they lived. Her thanks, she found baby momma who bitched her out. Go figure

It's just like out the 'Boyz N The Hood' movie [[Based on a True Story). Tre Styles [[Cuba Gooding Jr.) in South Central L.A. Crenshaw sub-division in 1990. He pick up a little black baby off the street who was lost. He knew the mother of the baby. He took the baby to the mother's house across the street. The mother came and was high on crack! He ask Tre if he has some blow. He said no and told her to watch her kid.

There will be lost children in the streets. Some will be abducted. Others will killed.

So a young man takes part in a mob beating of a motorist, putting him in the hospital for weeks, and ruining his health, for life.
    Judge uses the Youthful Offender Act, or whatever they call it, to give a six month sentence, followed by probation. Work release if he finds a job.
    This is the second time the young man has been allowed a second chance, under the act.
    Judge partially blames the behavior on the fact that the offender grew up without a father.
    I find this amazing, and depressing. Yes, I did not study law.
    Last edited by Bobl; July-20-14 at 09:02 PM.

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that had the races been reversed and Steve Utash was a black man who was beaten half to death by a mob of white people in Birmingham, this case would have had a VERY VERY different outcome.

The birmingham cops would've been there in a second.

7.6[[combined)years?????
    A slap on the wrists..........pathetic imo!!!!

TennisAndMath Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    A passing car of perps can just as easily commit a crime of opportunity on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    They should teach them more then that. How about no playing in a busy street at all, for any reason. Just patting little Timmy on the head and letting him out of the house to play in Whittier Street for the day doesn't make you parent of the year in my mind.

Yes, and a meteor strike as well [[smile), but going INTO a gas station with fools standing about selling stolen goods or heavy pan handling is just asking for it. For sure...

Quote Originally Posted by TennisAndMath View Post
    A passing car of perps can just as easily commit a crime of opportunity on you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast