Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kudos to the Ilitich's

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rgery-research

Donated 8.5M to Wayne State department of surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Kudos to Detroiters!

Total "donations" to Ilitch will be about $1 billion by the time the first puck drops, yes?

I hate to be a skeptic but this leads me to believe that this was announced and will coincide with a soon to be announced, very scaled back arena surrounded by flat lots and not incorporated into the city at all.

A little buying of goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I hate to be a skeptic but this leads me to believe that this was announced and will coincide with a soon to be announced, very scaled back arena surrounded by flat lots and not incorporated into the city at all.

The arena project has been curiously quiet for a couple months now. Considering they were eyeing opening for the 2016-2017 season I don't think that's feasible now.

So, the press release quoted below states the details of the gift made by Mr. and Mrs. Illitch not the business arms, a personal gift to WSU Department of Surgery. I am beyond amazed that such a major gift for a specific purpose could even be considered as having any other motive behind it other than the stated reason for the donation. It appears that this is a gift in thanks for the life saving work this doctor has worked on that may have directly benefited the community with no ulterior motives.

"an investment in the future of health care that will support a great educational institution and benefit the people of Detroit, the state of Michigan and beyond." and
    “We’ve made this gift to support the life-saving work of Dr. Weaver and his team at Wayne State University,” said Mike Ilitch in a news release. He is owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers, and he and his wife co-founded the Little Caesars pizza chain in 1959. “We think of this as an investment in the future of health care that will support a great educational institution and benefit the people of Detroit, the state of Michigan and beyond.”

The surgery department's current work focuses on surgery simulation, medical devices, advanced data analytics and biologic therapies for cancer.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/living/hea...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    So, the press release quoted below states the details of the gift made by Mr. and Mrs. Illitch not the business arms, a personal gift to WSU Department of Surgery. I am beyond amazed that such a major gift for a specific purpose could even be considered as having any other motive behind it other than the stated reason for the donation. It appears that this is a gift in thanks for the life saving work this doctor has worked on that may have directly benefited the community with no ulterior motives.

"an investment in the future of health care that will support a great educational institution and benefit the people of Detroit, the state of Michigan and beyond." and
    “We’ve made this gift to support the life-saving work of Dr. Weaver and his team at Wayne State University,” said Mike Ilitch in a news release. He is owner of the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers, and he and his wife co-founded the Little Caesars pizza chain in 1959. “We think of this as an investment in the future of health care that will support a great educational institution and benefit the people of Detroit, the state of Michigan and beyond.”

The surgery department's current work focuses on surgery simulation, medical devices, advanced data analytics and biologic therapies for cancer.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/living/hea...#storylink=cpy
    R-i-i-i-i-g-g-h-h-h-t. And when folks give money to senators and representatives, there's no implied quid pro quo either . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    R-i-i-i-i-g-g-h-h-h-t. And when folks give money to senators and representatives, there's no implied quid pro quo either . . .
    DN, except for certain monks, nobody does anything without 'quid pro quo'.

And there is nothing wrong with it, so long as the recipient isn't under a contrary obligation.

You are free to dislike the Ilitches. But it would be more appropriate here to just say 'thanks'. And remember that neither you nor WSU is under any obligations -- other than as legally agreed upon.

Thanks, Mike for your gift.

There's also nothing wrong with analyzing how this plays on people's perceptions. Dbob, that's all true, but for purposes of people's perceptions Olympia and Mr. and Mrs. are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    There's also nothing wrong with analyzing how this plays on people's perceptions. Dbob, that's all true, but for purposes of people's perceptions Olympia and Mr. and Mrs. are one and the same.
    People also believe climate change is a lie, that we faked the moon landings and that vaccines cause autism. People are, unsurprisingly, misinformed and full of willful misinformation that feeds into their perceptions of various things and people.

Having re-read your post, DB, I noted the name of Dr. Weaver. Now it all makes sense. The Ilitch's have supported Dr. Weaver for years, I do believe.

So in fact the 'quid pro quo' is really the other way around. If you wish, you could argue that Weaver tended to the Ilitch clan in in expectation of a donation. DN and Co. should attack Weaver, not Ilitch.

Yep it's the exact same thing. Illitch gives money to WSU medical department - the WSU medical department uses it's massive hold over public opinion to sway people into accepting the already approved arena. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Yep it's the exact same thing. Illitch gives money to WSU medical department - the WSU medical department uses it's massive hold over public opinion to sway people into accepting the already approved arena. Makes perfect sense.
    Yeah, the Ilitches make a very nice charitable gift for an excellent cause [[what is better than surgery for persons needing it by supporting a part of the WSU med school) and folks try to spin it negatively.

I hope this is one of a number of other charitable gifts [[e.g., beside M-1 rail) that Mr. Ilitch makes during the rest of his lifetime.

I believe most feel that folks with some means [[or a LOT of means, e.g., Ilitch) would prefer to start donating their means while they are alive and can see the benefit of their charity.

Ah, metro Detroiters and their billionaire captors. Never was Stockholm Syndrome so complete …

Ah, metro Detroiters and their billionaire captors. Never was Stockholm Syndrome so complete …
    Didn't you know that Ilitch single-handedly saved the city by doing the final cleaning of the Fox after Chuck Forbes did all the work? If it weren't for that polishing and moving some employees to the Fox, the city would likely have 200,000 less residents.

Sure, we can ignore things like the tax hand outs, the Madison Lennox, the numerous decaying properties he doesn't maintain, the 'give me tax breaks or I'll leave' threats etc because he saved Detroit all by himself.

I want to go give him a big kiss right this minute.

It's a nice gift to WSU and should buy some PR for him as a few dollars can certainly elevate a slumlord into saviour in short order.

I wonder if this is to get people to support the new Red Wings arena project.

I laughed a few years ago when there was a billboard on the Lodge advertising "Ilitch Charities". Is there a bigger waste of money or PR stunt than a charity that is funded primarily by one private family spending money on advertising how awesome they are? I understand if it is a charity [[say United Way) that is trying to have people contribute to them...but this just seemed absurd.

So, yes, I am thankful that they are contributing to WSU, but it is also fair to say that the Ilitch's histories have given merit to some questioning of intentions.

[QUOTE=stinkytofu;443991]I laughed a few years ago when there was a billboard on the Lodge advertising "Ilitch Charities". Is there a bigger waste of money or PR stunt than a charity that is funded primarily by one private family spending money on advertising how awesome they are? I understand if it is a charity [[say United Way) that is trying to have people contribute to them...but this just seemed absurd.

So, yes, I am thankful that they are contributing to WSU, but it is also fair to say that the Ilitch's histories have given merit to some questioning of intentions.[/QUOTE

If Detroiters don't want his money, EMU will gladly name their football stadium or something after Little Caesars.

[QUOTE=emu steve;443993]
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I laughed a few years ago when there was a billboard on the Lodge advertising "Ilitch Charities". Is there a bigger waste of money or PR stunt than a charity that is funded primarily by one private family spending money on advertising how awesome they are? I understand if it is a charity [[say United Way) that is trying to have people contribute to them...but this just seemed absurd.

So, yes, I am thankful that they are contributing to WSU, but it is also fair to say that the Ilitch's histories have given merit to some questioning of intentions.[/QUOTE

If Detroiters don't want his money, EMU will gladly name their football stadium or something after Little Caesars.
    I said I was thankful for his contribution. You may need to find a new donor.

Didn't you know that Ilitch single-handedly saved the city by doing the final cleaning of the Fox after Chuck Forbes did all the work? If it weren't for that polishing and moving some employees to the Fox, the city would likely have 200,000 less residents.

Sure, we can ignore things like the tax hand outs, the Madison Lennox, the numerous decaying properties he doesn't maintain, the 'give me tax breaks or I'll leave' threats etc because he saved Detroit all by himself.

I want to go give him a big kiss right this minute.

It's a nice gift to WSU and should buy some PR for him as a few dollars can certainly elevate a slumlord into saviour in short order.
    Plus he gets to write it off.

Watch the new arena's name be Little Caesars Arena.

[QUOTE=stinkytofu;443998]

I said I was thankful for his contribution. You may need to find a new donor.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you weren't.

If Dan Gilbert [[or Ilitches) are reading this thread. EMU needs a new football scoreboard [[BADLY!!!) and instead of a Tiger on top we could put "Quicken Loans" or "Little Caesars".

[QUOTE=emu steve;444044]

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you weren't.

If Dan Gilbert [[or Ilitches) are reading this thread. EMU needs a new football scoreboard [[BADLY!!!) and instead of a Tiger on top we could put "Quicken Loans" or "Little Caesars".
    Sorry as well - got a little grumpy.

That means I have to sit around the house, watch two games vs. the Indians today before I can see the big news story tomorrow.

I'll need to set up one of those count down clocks for say 6:00 a.m. tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Having re-read your post, DB, I noted the name of Dr. Weaver. Now it all makes sense. The Ilitch's have supported Dr. Weaver for years, I do believe.

So in fact the 'quid pro quo' is really the other way around. If you wish, you could argue that Weaver tended to the Ilitch clan in in expectation of a donation. DN and Co. should attack Weaver, not Ilitch.
    Sure Dr. Weaver has supported Mr. Illitch, as a good physician is supposed to. Without getting into HIPAA violations, it wasn't like he operated on him with the expectation that he would one day get a charitable gift. But arena or no arena, I'm glad he did. The department was underfunded and it's finances were in shambles for many of years.