Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

From channel 4 last night...and per statement from Wayne County Register of Deeds, it's in the right place.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/g...attle/26987996

of course, they're all white people so it's likely racists acting to cover for eachother... but just saying seem to no be no real dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    You must be dumb as a stump, I didn't claim immunity, simply there was no overt hostility towards white renters although the Park wasn't happy about renters in general. As to your claim of diversity all I can do is just laugh.
    GP = only 85% one racial group
    Eastside Detroit > 85% one racial group

Bham is using the dictionary meaning of the word.

If you think Eastside Detroit is diverse, I suspect you mean diversity as meaning 'blacks included'. That's not how the word was used until very recently when it became code for 'black enough'.

The reassignment of meaning to words like this is truly fascinating. Diverse has joined gay -- which once had nothing to do with homosexuality but a general state of happiness. Both brillliant reassignments.

But back to the thread.... is GPP built in Detroit, all Detroit has to do is demolish the building. Being a polite, civilized city, they can just ask them to move it -- which they surely would if on Detroit land and not wanted.

The true problem here is that anything GPP does that can even possibly be read as having racist scent is turned into proof of living racism in GPP. Detroiters would be wise to step back from the line and not call people names. Its not polite and doesn't aid in healing. GPP would be wise to not put turn on their brain and realize this is pretty stupid. They may have the right to do so, or not. But it was stupid. Very stupid.

Stupidity isn't always racism. Sometimes well-intentioned people are stupid -- or a couple racist bad seeds tossed a grenade. If so, we can decide to ignore it and do good. Or we can make very slight an intentional, racist act. The later reminds me of Palestinians who ignore cease fire, place children in mosque, then fire missle towards civilians -- and then claim oppression when children killed in return fire. Its disingenuous and selfish. I call on Detroiters of all races to stop being stupid in response to stupidity.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; July-17-14 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    From channel 4 last night...and per statement from Wayne County Register of Deeds, it's in the right place.

of course, they're all white people so it's likely racists acting to cover for eachother... but just saying seem to no be no real dispute.
    that will not satisfy the conspiricy theorists race card players.........

First of all, was his tape measure metric or SAE? Secondly, metal expands in heat, and his tape measure was metal. It's VERY likely it expanded a few feet, putting the racist built barns well inside the Grosse Pointe border.

Maybe the Pointes are not racist, but are crime-ist? --They discriminate against crime. Is there anything wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Maybe the Pointes are not racist, but are crime-ist? --They discriminate against crime. Is there anything wrong with that?
    Absolutely! They are trying to shield themselves from the "glories" of the East Side. For some odd reason they don't want the blight, the crime, and the filth to destroy their neighborhoods and property values. For shame!

Maybe they're just trying to breathe some life back into an otherwise dieing end of their 'burg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Absolutely! They are trying to shield themselves from the "glories" of the East Side. For some odd reason they don't want the blight, the crime, and the filth to destroy their neighborhoods and property values. For shame!
    Yes!! Because when you block a street, people cannot walk across that street, or take a detour around that blockage! And I definitely know that if you buy a shed from Home Depot and put it in the middle of the street, it acts as a deterrent for not only crime, but blight and lower property values! Maybe we should build a wall of Home Depot sheds around Detroit to keep that pesky crime contained!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    And I definitely know that if you buy a shed from Home Depot and put it in the middle of the street, it acts as a deterrent for not only crime, but blight and lower property values!
    I'm not sure if you're serious [[it's hard to tell), but do you have proof of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    First of all, was his tape measure metric or SAE? Secondly, metal expands in heat, and his tape measure was metal. It's VERY likely it expanded a few feet, putting the racist built barns well inside the Grosse Pointe border.
    As an old surveyor, I can tell you that the expansion/contraction range in a 100 foot all steel tape is a minor fraction of a foot. If you are doing very precise surveying, you will correct for the ambient temperature and the pull tension on the tape, but for most normal surveying, his use of the tape is more than accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    As an old surveyor, I can tell you that the expansion/contraction range in a 100 foot all steel tape is a minor fraction of a foot. If you are doing very precise surveying, you will correct for the ambient temperature and the pull tension on the tape, but for most normal surveying, his use of the tape is more than accurate.
    I know. It was a joke. Who did you survey for? I did it for years for MDSHT. The tapes we used, [[back then) were of a certain thickness which, supposedly, took temperature changes into account, and wouldn't "adjust". On roads, it didn't matter much. On bridges, you wanted to be as accurate as possible. I think the GP bashing around here borders, [[speaking of which) on lunacy.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-17-14 at 12:46 PM.

I don't care about name calling, but its improper to cut off a road between two towns, especially one that goes right into a business district.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I don't care about name calling, but its improper to cut off a road between two towns, especially one that goes right into a business district.
    yet no one seemed to mind when Chrysler plopped a plant across it a few blocks into detroit.

Kercheval stopped being relevant long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Maybe GPP tried to call, but the phone just kept on ringing [[or it was answered and they were put on extended hold/ignore).
    Please hold...... your call is important to us.

PS: HOF Thread material here. Bada-ba-ba-ba - I'm really liking this.
    Last edited by TKshreve; July-17-14 at 04:10 PM.

I'll leave the racism accusations to others...

But just from a traffic perspective, the trend is no longer towards grid with all open streets. GPP should be able to determine how to best handle traffic into their business district.

Now we all know this:
    1) GPP closes streets because they want to protect their white and black residents from black and white crime from the west
    2) Detroit radicals like to protest these closings because as successful blacks have moved into GPP, they are becoming irrelevant.

Quaint and sweet, a voice of reason on this thread. Thanks. Sumas

Now I'll go back to reverse name calling since I don't think Indian Village, Creekside, West Village, Islandview Village, the homes created by Messiah church, our riverfront apartments, Harbortown, Grayhaven or Lafayette Park like being called filth. Forgive me, I missed a few neat communities.

By the way, the wall is legally on GPP property, knew that when this thread started. Oops forgot to mention we are historians and have deeds and documents to provide authentication. Let the powers that be, duke that shit out.

The wall is still an abomination and insult to all Detroiters.
    Last edited by sumas; July-17-14 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Yes!! Because when you block a street, people cannot walk across that street, or take a detour around that blockage! And I definitely know that if you buy a shed from Home Depot and put it in the middle of the street, it acts as a deterrent for not only crime, but blight and lower property values! Maybe we should build a wall of Home Depot sheds around Detroit to keep that pesky crime contained!
    Best comment in this entire thread.

I know. It was a joke. Who did you survey for? I did it for years for MDSHT. The tapes we used, [[back then) were of a certain thickness which, supposedly, took temperature changes into account, and wouldn't "adjust". On roads, it didn't matter much. On bridges, you wanted to be as accurate as possible. I think the GP bashing around here borders, [[speaking of which) on lunacy.
    In 1959, I ran the survey party for the then new and sparsely settled City of Troy. The correction in length for temperature changes of a flat steel tape is:

C=0.0000065[[Tt-T)L

where C is the correction, Tt is the ambient temperature, T is the baseline temperature [[68F), and L is the standard length [[100ft)

ETA: The old standard when you fudged a closure was "close enough for highway work".

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You can joke about half-century old sterotypes all you want; you know that the Pointes are easily more diverse than the East Side of Detroit. There are actual people of different races and different incomes and different lifestyles living together in a functioning community.
    Ummm....when I think of diversity, I think of an area that has a lot different cultures mixed together living next to eachother. Not areas defined by a mass majority of one race or the other. I'm struggling to see how either GPP or eastside of Detroit is more diverse than the other???

I'm glad some folks here know that a survey done by a licensed professional is FACT to where lines are drawn. The GIS data and tax records that motorcitymuckraker used are not accurate sources of lot boundaries. They are typical plat sizes drawn out sometimes automatically or maybe by an intern. You'll find all sorts of issues when you pull that GIS data into a program or use a web app. That's why there's fine print on those websites.

yet no one seemed to mind when Chrysler plopped a plant across it a few blocks into detroit.

Hey I mind every day. Kercheval and Vernor were great access to downtown and the eastside. I still miss access to both but snarl when I have to detour to Mack or Jefferson. That plant is a bigger version of the GPP version of the Berlin wall. The city was desperate for tax dollars. The repercussions of that plant exist to this day.

All of that plant was built in Detroit look at the maps. Sadly we were given no vote on street closures.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post

By the way, the wall is legally on GPP property, knew that when this thread started. Oops forgot to mention we are historians and have deeds and documents to provide authentication. Let the powers that be, duke that shit out.
    If you knew that the market was built entirely in GPP then why did you start this thread and title it such as you did? It seems that it was done for no other purpose than to needlessly stir the pot or perhaps you just wanted attention and something to complain about.

The GP bashing on this site smacks of jealousy and is really quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    If you knew that the market was built entirely in GPP then why did you start this thread and title it such as you did? It seems that it was done for no other purpose than to needlessly stir the pot or perhaps you just wanted attention and something to complain about.

Sumas didn't title it, Casual did. 2 threads were merged.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post

What's even sadder is the very same person and hubby rented an apartment in GP so they could take advantage of the extra school millage GPers voted in for themselves, and send their kids to GP schools. Now that said kids have graduated, screw you racist guys.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast