Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Actually I can throw that back at you, why do you care to post on a DetroitYes forum when you clearly hate us.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that the Pointes are "us" too, and I'm the one asking you why you seem to have some weird fixataion on residents of the Pointes.

The Pointes are diverse and quite welcoming in my experience, and are every bit as Detroit as anywhere else. For people living in the remaining stable areas of East Side of the city proper, it's absolutely essential that the Pointes remain desirable, or the East Side will be even more ruined.

I find that a curious comment. I have a deep belief or concept that we all share responsibility for furthering world peace, global responsibility and fellowship with all races and religions. Please elaborate your comment.

He probably thinks you're part of the new world order...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that the Pointes are "us" too, and I'm the one asking you why you seem to have some weird fixataion on residents of the Pointes.

The Pointes are diverse and quite welcoming in my experience...
    They have both kinds of people: Doctors AND Lawyers!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You can joke about half-century old sterotypes all you want; you know that the Pointes are easily more diverse than the East Side of Detroit. There are actual people of different races and different incomes and different lifestyles living together in a functioning community.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When I ran up to Pointe Hardware Monday, I walked over to look @ the evil doings of those "Pointers". It looks like the 2 sheds are some kind of temporary structure, [[think Home Depot sheds) and can easily be moved. Maybe they were put there to store and hand out racist propaganda? I asked one "Detroiter", shopping for plumbing parts, what he thought about the street being closed off. He said he thought it was a great idea. I did tell him I was from Detroit before I asked. But I didn't tell him I was white.
    I am a little sluggish this morning apparently. No clue what your post message was? You asked a Detroiter his/her opinion, so did you base that assumption on the fact that he/she was black? Perhaps you assumed he/she was so stupid he couldn't see you were white? I really have no clue what you were trying to convey in your post. Please explain.

I am a little sluggish this morning apparently. No clue what your post message was? You asked a Detroiter his/her opinion, so did you base that assumption on the fact that he/she was black? Perhaps you assumed he/she was so stupid he couldn't see you were white? I really have no clue what you were trying to convey in your post. Please explain.
    Read your initial post. You claimed that you were immune to the claimed [[and probably imaginary) bias in the Pointes because you were white [[obviously implying that the Pointes were biased against African Americans).

Yet for some odd reason the Pointes have a fast growing African American community, while that of the East Side declines by the year. I wonder why?

this will teach those racist Grosse Pointers!!! Detroit can spend tons of money that they don't have to fight a legal battle that, even if they win, will only result in the richy richvillers picking up and moving their shed 100 yards.... at that point they will probably proceed to construct a 10 foot high cement wall and close off the alley access...

win win for Detroit!!! hoooray!!!!

Detroiters will cut their nose to spite their face

I'm not sure what's funnier, the arrogance or the incompetence of whomever managed to make this mess in the Pointes. The boundaries in the GPP charter are irrelevant to the legal issues. The city of Detroit's borders existed before GPP became a city.

The east side of Metro Detroit is just a dreary place. That's where the industry went, and now that American industry has significantly downsized, expect the situation to only get worse. Almost every community is declining to some degree, until you you get up to the half-built subdivisions in Macomb and Shelby Hellships.

And if you CAN get a job on the east side, now that the unions are basically busted -which I'm sure the haves cheered on - it's generally living hell. Employers know they've got you by the balls, so they pay you $10-$15 an hour, run skeleton crews, and demand at least 50-60 hours a week with no vacations and pathetic excuses for breaks. Everyone pretends to love making the money and has a "rah-rah" attitude [[though the pay still isn't enough to upkeep neighborhoods that were designed for well-paid union workers). Until, of course, they mysteriously quite in a few years. Or maybe a few months.

I know because I worked at a warehouse on the east side, witnessed it, and heard all the stories.

It's a sad situation and the attempts by GPP to block off Kercheval speak to the difficulty the GPs are having maintaining the illusion of living in prosperous area. In relative terms, even the GPs are declining when you consider what those cities once were.

Whenever I see Metro Detroiters take a blasé or defeatist attitude towards industry, it always blows my mind. To buy all those foreign products is so short-sighted. Why don't you just go down to the auto plants with sledgehammers while you're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    this will teach those racist Grosse Pointers!!! Detroit can spend tons of money that they don't have to fight a legal battle that, even if they win, will only result in the richy richvillers picking up and moving their shed 100 yards.... at that point they will probably proceed to construct a 10 foot high cement wall and close off the alley access...

Well, if true, GPP would probably have to write a check.... which just might cover the legal fees.

as an aside, the "after 6" event on the 12th was a blast. the farmers market is booming. some of you should put down your grinding axes and come out and see what the vision for this stretch of road is. the next after 6 is on 8/9
    Last edited by bailey; July-16-14 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    That made me laugh pretty damn hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post

It is unlikely Mayor Duggan will fight that battle. On the other hand wouldn't mind if we took back a third of the Windmill pointe park. That is our land which is leased but doubt leases have been paid for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I'm not sure what's funnier, the arrogance or the incompetence of whomever managed to make this mess in the Pointes. The boundaries in the GPP charter are irrelevant to the legal issues. The city of Detroit's borders existed before GPP became a city.
    Does the fault... and there is fault if this is true....lie only with GPP? I mean this "highly controversial" matter has been going on for most of the summer [[and back into the winter)...and even before that in discussion. Where was Detroit in all this? Where was someone to say... um guys, you know that the border takes a bit of a jog there right?

Heck, Detroit STILL isn't in this and is still "investigating". What the fuck [[again if true) is there to investigate? Should be a .4 second search of the tax rolls.

Mayor Duggan? Care to comment?
    Last edited by bailey; July-16-14 at 10:40 AM.

It is unlikely Mayor Duggan will fight that battle. On the other hand wouldn't mind if we took back a third of the Windmill pointe park. That is our land which is leased but doubt leases have been paid for years.
    so...as per usual, you don't know, but you'll slander GP anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The east side of Metro Detroit is just a dreary place. That's where the industry went, and now that American industry has significantly downsized, expect the situation to only get worse. Almost every community is declining to some degree, until you you get up to the half-built subdivisions in Macomb and Shelby Hellships.

And if you CAN get a job on the east side, now that the unions are basically busted -which I'm sure the haves cheered on - it's generally living hell. Employers know they've got you by the balls, so they pay you $10-$15 an hour, run skeleton crews, and demand at least 50-60 hours a week with no vacations and pathetic excuses for breaks. Everyone pretends to love making the money and has a "rah-rah" attitude [[though the pay still isn't enough to upkeep neighborhoods that were designed for well-paid union workers). Until, of course, they mysteriously quite in a few years. Or maybe a few months.

I know because I worked at a warehouse on the east side, witnessed it, and heard all the stories.

It's a sad situation and the attempts by GPP to block off Kercheval speak to the difficulty the GPs are having maintaining the illusion of living in prosperous area. In relative terms, even the GPs are declining when you consider what those cities once were.

Whenever I see Metro Detroiters take a blasé or defeatist attitude towards industry, it always blows my mind. To buy all those foreign products is so short-sighted. Why don't you just go down to the auto plants with sledgehammers while you're at it?
    Cheer up Nain I have experienced what you have but I never give up faith. despite our detractors Detroit will emerge leaner but effective in moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Does the fault... and there is fault if this is true....lie only with GPP? I mean this "highly controversial" matter has been going on for most of the summer [[and back into the winter)...and even before that in discussion. Where was Detroit in all this? Where was someone to say... um guys, you know that the border takes a bit of a jog there right?

Heck, Detroit STILL isn't in this and is still "investigating". What the fuck [[again if true) is there to investigate? Should be a .4 second search of the tax rolls.

I don't know, that whole "working on fixing Detroit" might be a priority to a sliver of land on the Detroit / GPP border, and it's pretty safe to assume that a city government would do due diligence to make sure that the structure they are erecting is legally within the bounds of the city. But, you know, let's just yell about how people think GPP is racist instead of the fact that GPP is coming across as Detroit-level incompetent with the PR skills of L Brooks Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I don't know, that whole "working on fixing Detroit" might be a priority to a sliver of land on the Detroit / GPP border, and it's pretty safe to assume that a city government would do due diligence to make sure that the structure they are erecting is legally within the bounds of the city. But, you know, let's just yell about how people think GPP is racist instead of the fact that GPP is coming across as Detroit-level incompetent with the PR skills of L Brooks Patterson.
    "working to fix detroit" hasn't stopped city council from weighing in on a whole host of ancillary matters, and specifically this issue. Clearly, no one on the Detroit side of the street thought to go check the boundary either.

Agreed, that this on GPPs part is either Detroit level incompetence or massive LBP type arrogance...or a little of both.
    Last edited by bailey; July-16-14 at 11:16 AM.

"working to fix detroit" hasn't stopped city council from weighing in on a whole host of ancillary matters, and specifically this issue. Clearly, no one on the Detroit side of the street thought to go check the boundary either.

Agreed, that this is either Detroit level incompetence or massive LBP type arrogance...or a little of both.
    I think this is the first time I have said this since I started following city-level politics like, 8 years ago, but the city council seems to be focusing on what many of us, inside Detroit and out, view as relevant or important issues, rather than squabbling with GPP about their stupid barn they bought from Home Depot and put on the street.

I'm sure we'll see Brenda Jones have everyone vote on a resolution that amounts to telling GPP "either knock that off, or work with us on some type of an agreement", but I doubt we will see a Monica Conyers or Joann Watson style week-long rant and rave session we would've seen even a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You can joke about half-century old sterotypes all you want; you know that the Pointes are easily more diverse than the East Side of Detroit. There are actual people of different races and different incomes and different lifestyles living together in a functioning community.
    Bada boom Bada bing....

Let's go tell Duggan to get folks in Richville to tear down so called demarcation outdoor market. And re-open Kercheval St. Those folks in Richville will have to deal the DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS who are hanging in the corner As long that don't bother them.

Quote from Sumas
    "I was accused on this forum of seeing racism in GPP. Look buddy I lived there. We were renters and had to prove each year to the schools, the parks, the libraries while we lived there. I was fine with that, we were renters. The schools were doing the same shit to black home owners. That created a ruckus, as it should have."

I'm curious, why would having to prove residency [[Black or white homeowners) to reap the benefits of ones community cause a ruckus??? My Mom and Dad [[lily white) moved to GPP from their Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood home back in 94 and have had to religiously present themselves to city officials to get their park passes/benefits etc and to also vote in elections...how is that racist for any resident? I don't remember reading about it in the papers..but did the black homeowners protest this overt racism? I would think they would be rather happy to live in a place where their hard earned tax dollars were finally producing above average city services. Just curious...

I find it doubtful that Detroit was ever notified by GPP of their intentions to build this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Quote from Sumas
    "I was accused on this forum of seeing racism in GPP. Look buddy I lived there. We were renters and had to prove each year to the schools, the parks, the libraries while we lived there. I was fine with that, we were renters. The schools were doing the same shit to black home owners. That created a ruckus, as it should have."

I'm curious, why would having to prove residency [[Black or white homeowners) to reap the benefits of ones community cause a ruckus??? My Mom and Dad [[lily white) moved to GPP from their Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood home back in 94 and have had to religiously present themselves to city officials to get their park passes/benefits etc and to also vote in elections...how is that racist for any resident? I don't remember reading about it in the papers..but did the black homeowners protest this overt racism? I would think they would be rather happy to live in a place where their hard earned tax dollars were finally producing above average city services. Just curious...
    Because to ask any question about residency is racist. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I find it doubtful that Detroit was ever notified by GPP of their intentions to build this thing.
    This has been a high profile controversy since the first proposals several years ago. The first proposals had a building spanning the street where the shed is. no one said boo about it being an encroachment.... just that all of GP is the new confederacy.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast