Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Giacomo “Black Jack” Tocco, the reputed head of the Detroit Mafia, passes

Detroit's Godfather [alleged of course ;-)] has passed on.

Whatever he did, if he did, he got away with it mostly and lived 87 years in a dangerous world.

Nice summary in DeadlineDetroit by Alan Lengel.

Raised in the upscale Windmill Pointe section of Grosse Pointe Park, Tocco earned a finance degree from the University of Detroit In 1949, according to an entry in Wikipedia.

He went on to own businesses around the state and built up an impressive real estate portfolio, all while managing to maintain a fairly low profile, particularly when it came to media attention. The Giacalone brothers, who were capos, and underlings of Tocco, had far more recognizable names in Metro Detroit.

Tocco's only felony conviction came in 1998 in a major racketeering case, which sent him off to federal prison for two years. Before that, his only previous conviction was for attending an illegal cock fight, according to a history of the Detroit on the FBI's website.

Small vignette, Tocco had a mistress installed down the street from my parents house. His thugs patrolled it. My sister [[8 yrs older then me) parked and started the age old make out scene down the block across from her house. Those dudes scared the piss out of them until the thugs figured out they were teens just getting busy.

This is the end of the Italian Mafia in Detroit.

Well, it's spilled milk, but geez, he only got two years after being convicted of several racketeering counts? In 2013, Kwame K. got 27 for his chicanery... lol.. I'm no Kilpatrick sympathizer, but when certain folks point out "white time/black time", everybody gets dismissive, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Well, it's spilled milk, but geez, he only got two years after being convicted of several racketeering counts? In 2013, Kwame K. got 27 for his chicanery... lol.. I'm no Kilpatrick sympathizer, but when certain folks point out "white time/black time", everybody gets dismissive, but....
    He was convicted on two extremely shaky counts. Kwame was convicted of 24 rock solid counts, and he was the friggin MAYOR for cripes sake. but yeah, it's racism.

fact of the matter here is that the Toccos were REALLY GOOD at operating their enterprise whereas the kilpatrick klan was bunch of bumbling amateurs. Well, excepting Mama Cheeks.
    Last edited by bailey; July-17-14 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    He was convicted on two extremely shaky counts. Kwame was convicted of 24 rock solid counts, and he was the friggin MAYOR for cripes sake. but yeah, it's racism.

fact of the matter here is that the Toccos were REALLY GOOD at operating their enterprise whereas the kilpatrick klan was bunch of bumbling amateurs. Well, excepting Mama Cheeks.
    So, I guess from your post that Tocco should have served a shorter sentence and while we're at it received a medal?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    So, I guess from your post that Tocco should have served a shorter sentence and while we're at it received a medal?
    No, i'm saying apples to oranges comparisons are fucking retarded.

Glad we agree on that. The real problem may lie elsewhere though. Mafia dons are left alone to prey for so long on cities that apples fall on the heads of poor folks and oranges fall in the hands of the fortunate fucks who play the system.
    Last edited by canuck; July-17-14 at 12:16 PM.

Curious about the funeral?