Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging Somebody, Please, Tponetom

I know I am old, but have I passed the age limits or something?
    I have to re-register each time I try to post a word or two, or a reply.
    It is very difficult to remember my real name. When I ask my wife to tell me what my name is, she shrugs her shoulders and says, "Who the Hell are You.?
    It is a good thing I have a bad memory because I cannot remember her name either.
    I would like the person who runs this show to help me out, or rather, IN.

I was going to page "oldguy" or "oldperson" or "peoplenolongeryoung"
    or something like that.

Tponetom, I reported your post. I think that might help to get you the attention you deserve.

I get a bit annoyed when the special needs of dementia victims aren't recognized.

We'll all be in that situation eventually so we all need to respect it.

Just be at peace until help arrives. Nothing's ever worth fretting over.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-14-14 at 10:49 PM.

Tponetom, sorry for the problems. When you say "I have to re-register each time I try to post" I am guessing you mean that you have to log in [enter your username Tponetom and password] again. [If you re-registered you would have had to create a new unique username.] As long as you keep your username and password handy, you will always be able to get back in - as it appears you did this time.

So why do you have to log in again? Our program will log you out after a long period of non-use or if you close you web browser of shut down/restart your computer. This is for security purposes among other things.

There can be issues of your login dropping off during regular use too. We have an extensive FAQ article on this issue here.

The solutions start with the simplest [1-Close your web browser, then reopen it and log again. This almost always clears up login issues] and move toward the more complex.

Hopefully that helps and don't be shy about reaching out for help again.

Thank you so much, Lowell. I knew you'd be willing to help.

Glad to see you are here, and hope that Lowell can help you stay. Waiting for more gems, Tponetom.

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    I know I am old, but have I passed the age limits or something?
    I have to re-register each time I try to post a word or two, or a reply.
    It is very difficult to remember my real name. When I ask my wife to tell me what my name is, she shrugs her shoulders and says, "Who the Hell are You.?
    It is a good thing I have a bad memory because I cannot remember her name either.
    I would like the person who runs this show to help me out, or rather, IN.

I was going to page "oldguy" or "oldperson" or "peoplenolongeryoung"
    or something like that.
    Hang in there tponetom. You're quite a bit older than me but I can relate to your problems with remembering things.

I sold my newspaper about a year and a half ago, but I still write newspaper columns. The problem is, I've been writing them for about fourteen years and I I think at this point I'm writing the same stories all to frequently. Getting older I guess. I tell my son, who is an adult a story, stop about a minute into it and say, I've probably told you this story before, right. He say's, yeah. maybe about twenty or so times.

We're subjected to so much information, passwords, user codes, account numbers and security systems that it can be overwhelming even for younger, tech savvy individuals.

I have to stop a number of times a day and try to remember a familiar name, why I walked from one room to another, what I was looking for, it's scary getting older.

You seem, in your stories to still have much to contribute to this forum and I assume to those around you. Best wishes and hang in there. Hope to hear from you. Even just a few sentences now and then.

I, too, wish for Tponetom to contact me, and implore him to check his Private Messages

There is a 'Remember Me?' box right under the log in spaces. Put in Tponetom and your password, then click the 'Remember Me?' box and you should be good to go. Good luck, and thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is good to see you handling those changes we will no doubt all experience if we are gifted with enough time to fill up our memory banks.

Gaz, yes it worked. I will see if I have to do it every time.
    Old Memories. like:
    Gaz and Iron Ore Stew.
    Jimaz and Cooper Street
    BobI and an invitation to dinner!
    NickCharles and my first big audience. [[Tee Hee, I will not expose you.) By the way, the "Notification" outfit would not work for me until I did what Gaz said. I will reply.

I'm giddy at tponetom's response.

This, after attending my 89-year-old mother in the emergency room all day — but all is well.

Growing old is not for the weak!

Deepest respect.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-28-14 at 11:29 PM.

So happy it worked! And yes, husband and I were just talking about Iron Ore Stew as we explored the wilds of the North Shore of Lake Superior last week. Time seems to have stood still in those little hardscrabble towns, and the chilly damp weather got right to our bones. Skeeters were pretty good at warming us up with all the swatting though.

Husband is convinced we can punch up the recipe somewhat. He'll probably add a good dose of Mexican super hot sauce to it. I told him he would have to wait til we got to a more stable kitchen and maybe a little more chill in the air. The last couple of days were close to qualifying.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; July-29-14 at 09:56 AM.

Here is the initial thread on Iron Ore Stew, some great information in there.

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1199502537

And here is the recipe I managed to track down. I do plan to play with this a bit. Sure and it's a lot of water under the bridge in 6 1/2 years, ennit? I'm still thinking it needs some thickening.

Iron Ore Stew
    3 carrots, scraped
    2 potatoes, peeled
    1 medium onion
    2 cans tomatoes
    7 cups water
    1 cup tomato juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 pound ground beef
    3 teaspoon pickling spices
    1/2 teaspoon crushed chili peppers

Grind first four ingredients to medium coarseness. Put in large pot, 4 to 6 quart size. Add water, juice and salt. Crumble in beef. Add pickling spices ad chili peppers, tied in a bag. Simmer, covered, one hour, or until carrots are tender. Stir occasionally. Serves 6-8.

Dated 12/7/78
    and said to taste like that served at the Amaranth Club.

Pickling spices! Who would have thought?

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the stories, Tponetom!

[[Message edited by gazhekwe on December 21, 2007)

Thanks gazhekwe, I was going to ask you what the recipe was. Sounds good. I'll try it.

Hi, old guy! If you read the thread I posted, you will see that Tom and I both tweaked the recipe a bit, mostly to reduce the amount of water given in the recipe. This time I think I might add tomato sauce instead of juice, or add some tomato paste in addition to the juice. I just like a thicker broth. Maybe I will take my stick blender to it when it's done to puree it a little bit.