Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Mass Mob

In yet another manifestation of what is possible with social media Detroit Mass Mob, a volunteer online movement designed to introduce suburban Catholics to historical, yet struggling, churches in Detroit, filled Sweetest Heart of Mary with over 1800 worshipers.

What a great and warm idea. I have often worried about the loss of these fabulous works of art churches. Maybe this offers a way out. It had to be an eye-opener and sure to have left many in awe of their splendor. It seems like something in the spirit of the new Pope Francis.

"For the third time in a row, the Detroit Mass Mob movement filled every seat and spilled out the doors Sunday at another historic, architecturally awe-inspiring Catholic church in Detroit.

An estimated 1,800 curious Catholics, many who attend suburban parishes, made for a standing-room-only crowd at Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church at 4440 Russell, considered the largest Catholic church in the city."

"Two weeks ago, about 900 people turned out at St. Joseph Church near Eastern Market, contributing $14,500 — seven times what is typical — to help with that 141-year-old church’s upkeep."

Full Article and Pictures at Freep.com >>

Its an interesting approach, and it's nice to have suburbanites feel some appreciation for and attachment to the city. These old churches certainly are beautiful; even I, a former Catholic now well alienated from the Church, appreciate their beauty.

can't wait for the mob mass in august at st. albertus - in my opinion its the most beautiful church in downtown detroit and would benefit the most from monies collected at mass. i hope there is well over 2,000 attendees - just a beautiful old church that's in need of alot of mob mass love and attention.

Totally agree. We will never see a church built again with this amount of attention to detail and genuine pride in craftsmanship. Hope it helps out!!!

Good idea!!

Glad to see such a turnout for the Mass Mob events.

For a couple years about 7-8 years ago, we would find a different older Catholic Church every Sunday and attend a mass and then take photos both interior and exterior. So few people were attending these churches that we usually were called out as "visitors" and asked to stand. Many folks appreciative of our attendance, even if only the one time. Of course, some of those churches we visited are no longer operating. Hopefully through these new social media means, there will be more recognition of these treasures [[the art and architecture of these older churches is stunning in many cases)...and support, including financial, will continue and so allow some of the parishes to continuing operating. Some churches we continue to visit every so often, but there are so many of these historic church buildings that need support!

The mass mob is a fantastic idea. St Joseph swarmed with folk a few Sundays ago and a good turn out yesterday too.

St Joseph and St John were the core cultural center for German town with Holy Trinity splintering off from St Johns which later partnered with St Lukes church. I am a member of St Johns church and it a fantastic building too just steeped in history. St Johns was a critical player in the Underground Railroad and again later financing German Jews out of Europe. St Johns seats 1500 people on two levels and we are lucky to have as many 25 members show up. All these old churches deserve preservation.
    Last edited by sumas; July-14-14 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The mass mob is a fantastic idea. St Joseph swarmed with folk a few Sundays ago and a good turn out yesterday too.

St Joseph and St John were the core cultural center for German town with Holy Trinity splintering off from St Johns which later partnered with St Lukes church. I am a member of St Johns church and it a fantastic building too just steeped in history. St Johns was a critical player in the Underground Railroad and again later financing German Jews out of Europe. St Johns seats 1500 people on two levels and we are lucky to have as many 25 members show up. All these old churches deserve preservation.
    You are 100% right. Spread that collection plate money around to some of the smaller congregations that have beautiful historic churches.

Cool idea.-Especially since so many churches have been edged into consolidation form the dwindling attendance. It helps with the "Come Home" movement, and it sure beats turning them into condos [[a trend I saw in Boston-which reminds me, does this particular Mass Mob strategy seem a bit like an odd "busing?"-not that I ever had a problem with the more famous version-y'know, Pixie Palladino from Mass and all-"ah! fah'get' about it.").

I hope this happens for Metropolitan Methodist. My mom stopped attending when she was 89 years old partially because I was worried about her safety. Beautiful church.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I hope this happens for Metropolitan Methodist. My mom stopped attending when she was 89 years old partially because I was worried about her safety. Beautiful church.
    It's mostly a Catholic thing, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It's mostly a Catholic thing, I believe.
    The group we're discussing is a Catholic group. However, I'm sure any religion could, and should, adopt a project like this.

While the Mass Mob movement is a wonderful and miraculous thing, keeping the pews occupied through the other weekends of the year is what will save our churches. True, the mass mob offers an introduction to these houses of worship, and maybe some will decide to return in the weeks following, but being there every weekend is the goal.

Come. Join us at Sweetest Heart of Mary, 4440 Russell. Sundays, 10AM & Saturdays 4PM. Midnight mass this year will be beautiful. All are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    The group we're discussing is a Catholic group. However, I'm sure any religion could, and should, adopt a project like this.

While the Mass Mob movement is a wonderful and miraculous thing, keeping the pews occupied through the other weekends of the year is what will save our churches. True, the mass mob offers an introduction to these houses of worship, and maybe some will decide to return in the weeks following, but being there every weekend is the goal.

Come. Join us at Sweetest Heart of Mary, 4440 Russell. Sundays, 10AM & Saturdays 4PM. Midnight mass this year will be beautiful. All are welcome.
    Jerry, you give me hope for GP, yet.

This is very cool. These old churches are gorgeous. Makes me want to relapse into my childhood religion.