Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Retirees apparently OK bankruptcy plan of action.

I was a bit surprised to see no posting over yesterday's news of the retired Detroit employees apparenly giving a 'yes' vote to the Plan of Action on the bankruptcy matter. I predicted, among various colleagues on facebook and elswhere, that it would pass with around an 80% yes vote. There was some vocal opposition, mainly among those who still believe in the Grassy Knoll theory, and their arguments sounded like the tinfoil hat brigade. Anyway, I'm happy, although healthcare is giving me a kick in the wallet.

Anyway, what say you? Bankruptcy Guy....you still here????

Don't believe in the Grassy Knoll theory? Next you're going to say the moon landing really happened.

Glad to hear the retirees realize just how good this is -- compared to what would have happened if the city just plodded on down the road spending every cent of retiree cash.

The bleeding can be stopped.

The rebuilding can begin.

And if we all get behind this instead of fighting yesterday's political battles, we can all work together so the city can restore 100% of the pension money to those whose pensions are less than about $30k/year. They deserve what they were promised. And we should keep our promises.

We are keeping the most important promise -- that the citizens will have a functional city in which they can pursue their happiness.

Other less important promises like pensions can be restored as the city recovers.