Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Yet another NYT article about Detroit

But this one actually talks about things going on in some neighborhoods, in addition to the normal info on Dan Gilbert.

I'm especially pleased to hear about the two life-long Detroiters investing in properties in NE Detroit. Its nice to hear about landlords who are not slumlords, and who actually live in the city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/ma...hoto-spot&_r=1

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    But this one actually talks about things going on in some neighborhoods, in addition to the normal info on Dan Gilbert.

I'm especially pleased to hear about the two life-long Detroiters investing in properties in NE Detroit. Its nice to hear about landlords who are not slumlords, and who actually live in the city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/ma...hoto-spot&_r=1
    Ex-Detroiter here. I do wish the streets were better mapped. Each time I go to the Detroit, I have to drive and I get lost. Cul de sacs, detours, blocks that end and no way to get around.
    Some streets even map in circles like Grand Blvd. It's insane and someone needs to start putting numbers on the streets like they do New York City, or directions [[SW, NW) like DC.
    As for Gilbert, he's the only one that sees $$$ potential in Detroit. If long-time Detroiters had been awake they would have bought downtown property and land as speculation.

I had to chuckle when the New York Times article said, "The overall atmosphere resembles “The Wolf of Wall Street”..."

I guess Dan Gilbert

Kinda looks like the Wolf of Wall Street, Jordon Belfort.

And both of them are master salesmen that used their salesmanship to raise a lot of investment capital. And when Belfort lost his stockbroker license, he founded his own mortgage broker company and sold residential mortgages just like Gilbert. I now get an image of Dan Gilbert's face implanted on top of Leonardo DiCaprio's body in the movie.
    Last edited by davewindsor; July-12-14 at 11:41 AM.

This is for Chicago48. I have been to a few Town Hall Meetings in Detroit.
    I have not been to a town hall meeting under the Duggan/Orr administration
    yet so the format may have changed. At one time the town hall meeting
    format included polling the audience on how the limited tax dollars should
    be spent. [[This was a favorite tactic of Gov. Granholm as well). Both times
    that I can remember, street signage came in dead last. Better recreational
    opportunities for youth came in first, to the best of my recollection.
    Garmin to the rescue?

Just finished reading this article. Fantastic stuff on Paffendorf and Cooley as well