Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ford Field and Comerica Park rendering

Anyone have any more early renders before the stadiums were built? These were the only ones I could find.

PS-is it true ford field was supposed to be an open air stadium but they decided to go with the roof after the nfl promised the ford's a super bowl.

Thanks

What the hell?! That's what we could have got?! Awesome greenspace fronting Woodward, fountains, and a classic brick look...damn...

I hate renderings because of the what-if feeling I get...sigh...

As I've learned from looking at dozens of renderings over the years, when you see parks, think "parking lot."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    As I've learned from looking at dozens of renderings over the years, when you see parks, think "parking lot."

The architects should be honest and just list them as park[[ing lots) space.

I'm almost certain that whoever drew these must've thought Hudson's would stick around long enough to appear within eyesight of Tigers and Lions games.

Here's a few for Comerical Park circa 2000.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/Comerica_G.html

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Here's a few for Comerical Park circa 2000.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/Comerica_G.html
    wow there's even a model.... thanks a lot that's exactly what i was looking for.

the best part about comerica for me is the view of the detroit skyline. that's the biggest reason i prefer it over building a replica of tiger stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by matt76 View Post

Anyone have any more early renders before the stadiums were built? These were the only ones I could find.

PS-is it true ford field was supposed to be an open air stadium but they decided to go with the roof after the nfl promised the ford's a super bowl.

Thanks
    The NFL did promise a Super Bowl but that's not why the roof was added. The city wanted a roof to attract more year-round events as opposed to 2 open-air stadiums. After surveying fans and finding they were indifferent due to the advantages of both, the Lions agreed to add the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The NFL did promise a Super Bowl but that's not why the roof was added. The city wanted a roof to attract more year-round events as opposed to 2 open-air stadiums. After surveying fans and finding they were indifferent due to the advantages of both, the Lions agreed to add the roof.
    the best thing would have been a retractable roof but back then it wasn't a prominent thing. it would have been great to see an early season lions game with the roof open.

personally i've never liked the roof/celing at ford field, especially the way the duct-work is exposed.

Isn't it also with Ford Field that it's one of the few NFL stadiums that faces east-west? I don't remember if that was a determining factor for the roof, but it certainly would have been an influence for evening games as the sun sets.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Isn't it also with Ford Field that it's one of the few NFL stadiums that faces east-west? I don't remember if that was a determining factor for the roof, but it certainly would have been an influence for evening games as the sun sets.
    There are like 7-8 IIRC that go east west. the NFL's rule is that the field should go north south, but so long as the sun isn't a factor [[like with an indoor field) NFL will give a waiver.

edit... FWIW...from wikipedia

Ford Field is one of ten venues in the NFL that has end zones in the east and the west [[the others being Qualcomm Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, AT&T Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, M&T Bank Stadium, the Georgia Dome, FirstEnergy Stadium and Wembley Stadium). The NFL has a rule against this type of construction, so that the sunlight cannot be a major distraction to the players on the field. The NFL had to give permission for the east–west end-zone construction, because the Hudson's warehouse would have required alterations otherwise. The natural light is not a distraction to the players in a day game, because the light only reaches as far as the sidelines, leaving the field still properly lit with the combination of artificial stadium lighting and sunlight.
    Last edited by bailey; July-11-14 at 03:11 PM.

It was very, very slippery up there when they were installing the roof.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by matt76 View Post
    wow there's even a model.... thanks a lot that's exactly what i was looking for.

the best part about comerica for me is the view of the detroit skyline. that's the biggest reason i prefer it over building a replica of tiger stadium.
    Funny, the main thing I see every time I turn on/attend a game is the DAC's parking garage. Pretty fitting, this is Detroit after all.