Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default maybe a little weed will be a "human right" at the next Detroit protest?

not quite "Detroit related", but it may be soon...

Pot luck: Berkeley dispensaries now required to give free marijuana to the poor

If you love smoking pot, live in Berkeley and don’t make a lot of money, the city council has some good news for you: your pot may now be free .

An ordinance approved by the Berkeley City Council says that at least 2 percent of all pot carried by medical marijuana dispensaries must be provided “at no cost” to “very low-income” individuals and families.
    The council defines “very low income” as individuals making $32,000 a year or less, or families of four collectively earning $46,000.

And unlike the clichéd image of “government cheese,” the ordinance further stipulates that the free marijuana “shall be the same quality on average as Medical Cannabis that is dispensed to other members.”
    “It’s sort of a cruel thing that when you are really ill and you do have a serious illness... it can be hard to work, it can be hard to maintain a job and when that happens, your finances suffer and then you can’t buy the medicine you need,” said Sean Luce, who works at local collective Berkeley Patients Group, in an interview with NBC News.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...170035152.html

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    not quite "Detroit related", but it may be soon...

Pot luck: Berkeley dispensaries now required to give free marijuana to the poor

If you love smoking pot, live in Berkeley and don’t make a lot of money, the city council has some good news for you: your pot may now be free .

An ordinance approved by the Berkeley City Council says that at least 2 percent of all pot carried by medical marijuana dispensaries must be provided “at no cost” to “very low-income” individuals and families.
    The council defines “very low income” as individuals making $32,000 a year or less, or families of four collectively earning $46,000.

And unlike the clichéd image of “government cheese,” the ordinance further stipulates that the free marijuana “shall be the same quality on average as Medical Cannabis that is dispensed to other members.”
    “It’s sort of a cruel thing that when you are really ill and you do have a serious illness... it can be hard to work, it can be hard to maintain a job and when that happens, your finances suffer and then you can’t buy the medicine you need,” said Sean Luce, who works at local collective Berkeley Patients Group, in an interview with NBC News.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...170035152.html
    The best answer to bringing Detroit out of bankruptcy is people growing their own food and making their own money.

As long as suburbanites keep voting in higher property taxes to pay for more and larger welfare programs for the poor in the City of Detroit and Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties, then YES this is an issue today.

Hey Great Guy/Trainman maybe SMART bus drivers should start selling weed as a way to pay for the gas and salaries?

Seriously I am amazed you could post something without distorting the work of SMART or another transit provider.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Hey Great Guy/Trainman maybe SMART bus drivers should start selling weed as a way to pay for the gas and salaries?

Seriously I am amazed you could post something without distorting the work of SMART or another transit provider.
    He's not as bad as that guy who would always incorporate the selling of DIA property into his posts...

Maybe the SMART buses could run on weed confiscated by authorities? That would help boost ridership and make paying for a bus ride quite worth it

The government will be glad to take down your name to add to some future data base in exchange for any further 'rights'. Weed other otherwise......!

and when selling weed is no longer profitable, and when those businessmen and entrepreneurs no long find it viable to sell weed legally, who then provides these "rights" to them? keep repeating the lie that rights are something that is provided to you by others......

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    The best answer to bringing Detroit out of bankruptcy is people growing their own food and making their own money.
    That holds true anywhere. It's simple logic wherever it's possible to do so.
    Alternative energy is also the next logical step. I find it hard to believe that anyone is ignorant to these facts considering the future we're facing.

Other than dirty, cost prohibitive options, we've pretty much run out of options. If you don't believe me, do some research. I've done extensive research because of the off spring I've brought onto this planet and the future I'd prefer to see them live in.

Despite the fact that as an older generation we get so much crap thrown at us in terms of us taking so much from future generations, we might actually be one of the last generations that care for the continuation of future generations.
    We might also be one of the last generations that know how to grow food locally. I certainly hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Alternative energy is also the next logical step. I find it hard to believe that anyone is ignorant to these facts considering the future we're facing.

Other than dirty, cost prohibitive options, we've pretty much run out of options. If you don't believe me, do some research. I've done extensive research because of the off spring I've brought onto this planet and the future I'd prefer to see them live in.

Despite the fact that as an older generation we get so much crap thrown at us in terms of us taking so much from future generations, we might actually be one of the last generations that care for the continuation of future generations.
    We might also be one of the last generations that know how to grow food locally. I certainly hope not.
    Grow your own I always say.

the story didn't say "grow your own" [[too much like work) or sell some to support yourself... it said that at least 2 percent of all pot carried by medical marijuana dispensaries must be provided “at no cost” to “very low-income” individuals and families.

meaning - If you can't afford it, you have a "right" to have it provided to you at no cost. [[kind of like water, electricity, heat, etc)

Quit being snarky people. You can believe that states are paying attention to the taxable revenue being generated.

Always amazed and a little appalled at the sheer hatred aimed at the poor on this board.

Sadly, your comments about aging hit a sad note. As young people our taxes and social security costs went up and up and we just considered we were supporting our aging population and did so gladly. They fought the wars, raised families etc. My Dad lived to 87 and my Mom to 91.

Now getting older ourselves I find our younger generation and the squeezed middle class, the crazy health care system and the just me me society mentalities hopes we just die and go away.

I have a small home garden, know how to preserve food thanks to Mom who grew up in depression years and how to be frugal. We try to pass that knowledge on.

I have zero interest in pot but yes I have helped grow it and procure for a dieing friend. For the hard hearted jerks on the forum, try taking care daily of people that enter home hospice. I've done it three times now. It is heart breaking to lose loved ones and ultimately it comes down to Hospice controlled morphine.

Absolutely, I support medicinal weed to keep people in comfort as long as possible.

... Despite the fact that as an older generation we get so much crap thrown at us in terms of us taking so much from future generations, we might actually be one of the last generations that care for the continuation of future generations.

There's no doubt our society has been trending toward evermore dependance on corporate-sourced necessities. I'm reminded of The Foxfire Book.

In the late 1960s, Eliot Wigginton and his students created the magazine Foxfire in an effort to record and preserve the traditional folk culture of the Southern Appalachians. This is the original book compilation of Foxfire material which introduces Aunt Arie and her contemporaries and includes log cabin building, hog dressing, snake lore, mountain crafts and food, and "other affairs of plain living."
    It's a project dedicated to preserving vanishing folk wisdom. They even teach how to make soap from scratch. It's like a survivalist life raft in a book.

The Foxfire Fund
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-12-14 at 08:54 AM.

That Great Guy Guest

No Gas, No Grass, No Ass, No Ride

Mr. John Hertel has No Gas because he supports the $400 Million from State taxes on fuel to expand I-75 with HOV Lanes with NO GAS from MDOT for his buses.

So, Mr. John Hertel strikes out playing baseball and with my vote.