Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I can't find my new car

Today is the first day I could take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers deal. I've done my homework on the couple-three models I like. I'm preapproved for enough loan to cover the vehicle I ultimately choose. So I called my local Dodge dealership to arrange a test drive on Choice #1, a Caliber. There. Are. No. Calibers. Anywhere. Absolutely zero Calibers available within 100 miles of 49007, 48104, or 48021. These are the zip codes closest to home or to someone who will feed me lunch if I show up on their doorstep.

The salesperson at my most local dealership told me this situation is due to their plants being closed during the bankruptcy. Her phones have been ringing off the hook. She's sold most everything on her new car lot and could not even guess when she'd see more new vehicles.

I am, in a word, bummed. I truly did want to "buy American," but I have a finite period of time in which to buy any car. Is there anyone in this vast forum population with a clue as to where I can get information?

83 inventory matches when I use the online tool.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/sni/inven...021&dealerCode=

I truly did want to "buy American," but I have a finite period of time in which to buy any car
    You could look at Ford or GM products.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    83 inventory matches when I use the online tool.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/sni/inven...21&dealerCode=
    Match number went down to 14 when I filtered by price; and to fewer still when I asked for manual shift [[which is a preference, not a requirement). But THANKS! because I've shot e-mails to the dealers with the highest numbers of cars I'd consider. I should've used a better search tool to begin with. I did think the dealership one I utilized was more comprehensive. Obviously not.

Pam: the Fords and GM products that fit my criteria did not fit my budget. Chrysler giving $4,500 on top of the CfC $4,500 is the only way I could look at one of theirs.

Toolbox Guest

Good luck finding anything "American" with a stick. Call EricC at 313-893-8300 for all your Chrysler Dodge Jeep needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    Good luck finding anything "American" with a stick. Call EricC at 313-893-8300 for all your Chrysler Dodge Jeep needs.
    As of yesterday p.m., every Chrysler Dodge dealer I contacted was pretty much out of everything worthwhile, and I'd e-mailed several. Meantime, I have been test-driving various used vehicles to see how I fit in a particular model. I re-verified my clunker is still worth $4,500 and still intend to buy new. It is increasingly possible the only American feature of my new car will be the dealership location.

Every lot is WYSIWYG, and if your color or tranny prefernce is not there... sucks to be you. There is no such thing as dealer trades these days. Interesting that salespeople don't want to dicker on prices. They have been so busy in the last few days, they simply don't have to. So what if *I* don't like the cost of their car. The guy behind me will.

I've also been inquiring about incentives and rebates available in addition to the CfC. A couple of salesfolk were miffed that I asked and seemed reluctant to discuss what else I might qualify for. To be fair, the others were forthright about what they could offer. One even went so far as to see if he could beat the [[very reasonable) interest rate on my preapproved loan to sway me.

Meantime, I'm freakin' exhausted.

Unless you want miserable experience with the dealers - assuming they even are still around six months from now - you REALLY don't want a Chrysler. Just trust me on that as a former Chrysler owner. [[There are reasons it was always the last of the Big 3 and the first to go down the tubes). I'd recommend Honda, but if you MUST buy a Detroit product, consider a Ford. At least they have a better chance of being around in the long run.

I might be glad none of my vehicles qualify for the CARS program. I would be tempted to buy a new car eventough I really cannot afford it.I would love to take advantage of anyone who would give me 9 grand for my truck I bought for $750 bucks 10 months ago.Sad thing is the only thing I would want from the Dodge dealer is a Hemi Challenger which defeats the purpose of this plan.So I would end up with a Focus from the Ford dealer with $4500.00 less in my pocket.

Just read they are stopping the Cash for Clunkers program because the funding has run out.

Quote Originally Posted by CornBot View Post

Pam: the Fords and GM products that fit my criteria did not fit my budget. Chrysler giving $4,500 on top of the CfC $4,500 is the only way I could look at one of theirs.
    Ford is also giving incentives. A person I know just got $3K off on a Focus with just the Ford incentives, then also had X plan to save another $1000 and got cash for a clunker $4500 off. So, she saved $8500.

If you want X Plan on a Ford, the guy who gave her one has more.

If you do find a Caliber, I think you will be pleased. I have a 2007 and I absolutely love it. Only problem I've had is the passenger side seat heater works when it wants to. They replaced the module but it is still acting stupid. I love the CVT transmission. Sounds like a snowmobile, lol.