Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lack of Sidewalk Seating Throughout the City

Has anyone else noticed that it seems when compared to other cities Detroit has a real dearth of sidewalk seating at restaurants? A really easy way to liven up the sidewalk and where there is ample outdoor seating [[the block with 1515 Broadway and the block with Grand Trunk Pub) its one of the more attractive blocks around. Just always found this odd since most major cities tend to have sidewalk seating at almost every sit-down restaurant in the summer. I'm sure this has something to do with permitting though.

It seems like every suburb outside of Detroit has about 50 different restaurants with outside seating taking up the whole length of the sidewalk. I would guess it'd have something to do with zoning as well.

In the past, I'm sure crime was a factor as well.

People simply didn't feel safe eating outside.

As an aside, I was really concerned the new Santorini restaurant in Greektown wasn't going to make it. It was a little more upscale and occupied the same space as Mosaic [[same owners), making it a little intimidating to enter. Initially they were going to have patio seating but everyone on this board rightly stated it wouldn't work on that corner. Instead they completely opened the inside to the sidewalk with several removable walls and the place appears to be doing well.

We went by Santorini last night, it looks like a great place. For some reason we kept walking and ended up at another place. Wish we had tried Santorini, will go back soon. That opened up style really invokes a Mediterranean atmosphere.

Traffic Jam & Snug, Slows To Go, Sy Thai, Cass Cafe, Woodbridge Pub, Shangri La, Union St., the Majestic, La Feria... Midtown has quite a few options

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As an aside, I was really concerned the new Santorini restaurant in Greektown wasn't going to make it. It was a little more upscale and occupied the same space as Mosaic [[same owners), making it a little intimidating to enter. Initially they were going to have patio seating but everyone on this board rightly stated it wouldn't work on that corner. Instead they completely opened the inside to the sidewalk with several removable walls and the place appears to be doing well.
    Been to Santorini a few times now. Definitely now my favorite Greek restaurant in Greektown but the competition has thinned with Laikon and New Hellas gone and the Parthenon declined. The opened portals to the outside street are nice, giving it a pleasant liveliness. I hope others on the strip follow suit.

For sidewalk seating downtown there is Foran's, 24 Grille and Fountain Bistro and the strip on Broadway of DBC, Small Plates and 1515. Not a lot but more than the nothing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In the past, I'm sure crime was a factor as well.

People simply didn't feel safe eating outside.
    Not to mention being approached by beggars like they do in Chicago.

I remember one time when the Book Cadillac had outdoor seating on Washington Blvd, and there was live music for the lunch crowd. When an elderly gentleman got up to use the facilities, a homeless person took his seat and finished his lunch while the lady sat there stunned. Finally she was able to find her voice and have the unwelcome guest removed, but, that was after he had finished the gentleman's lunch and beverage. It was funny at the time, but, that kind of thing was a deterent to outdoor seating.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    I remember one time when the Book Cadillac had outdoor seating on Washington Blvd, and there was live music for the lunch crowd. When an elderly gentleman got up to use the facilities, a homeless person took his seat and finished his lunch while the lady sat there stunned. Finally she was able to find her voice and have the unwelcome guest removed, but, that was after he had finished the gentleman's lunch and beverage. It was funny at the time, but, that kind of thing was a deterent to outdoor seating.
    See but I don't know why homeless people would kill off outdoor seating. Getting approached by a homeless person while sitting outside at a restaurant in a major city is pretty much par for the course, yet Detroit seems to have a unique lack of sidewalk seating. If we're serious about activating the sidewalk getting more active sidewalks at restaurants throughout the city can really add to the urban feel. Seems like a minor change that would make a noticeable difference in activity.

I ate outdoors at Grand Trunk last week. A beggar came into the seating area and was promptly shooed away by the staff.

Vicentes also has outdoor seating.

Yeah it's nuts sometimes even thru a glass window. Out with friends at Union Street, we were entreated to a man who pulled down his pants to show us his, eh' "wares" while eating along that small front area inside the restaurant. We ignored him and he went his way when not getting the effect he wanted. Still who needs all of that drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Not to mention being approached by beggars like they do in Chicago.

I like outdoor seating when there is a view. My favorite was a circular patio in the Ulm Officer's Club in Germany. The Donau [[Danube) River did a 180 degree "U" around the patio. Sitting at a table on a sidewalk inhaling automotive exhaust fumes doesn't do much for me.

How about more riverfront dining outside? I realize it's tricky as the river can be pretty windy, more or less all the time, but you can ameliorate the problem with clever siting and a well placed wall or two. Does Andiamo's at the Ren Cen still have outdoor seating?

If you want to see how outdoor seating should be done - check out Legs Inn in Cross Village, about 20 miles north of Harbor Springs. Nice garden, plenty of shade, and a stunning bluff-top view of Lake Michigan.