Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nearly $1 million available for Detroit water customers with shut-off notices

"Thousands of Detroit residents who are facing water shutoffs because they can’t pay their water bill will now have an avenue for assistance.
    As Detroit’s water department shuts off more taps, nearly $1 million is now available for low-income customers who need help paying their bills.
    The money has been accruing in an account that’s funded by a voluntary program that takes 50 cents from each paying residential customer’s bill, along with varying amounts from commercial customers, said Curtrise Garner with the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.
    People eligible for the Detroit Residential Water Assistance Program must live in single-family dwellings in the city, have received a shutoff notice and be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or participating in public-assistance programs. For Detroit, that means a household of four making $47,700 or less would qualify for assistance. Preference will be given to seniors".

"The assistance program makes available up to $1,500 per customer, so long as the amount owed is less than $2,500. To qualify, the customers must make some kind of contribution toward their accounts".

http://www.freep.com/article/2014070...water-shutoffs

I am SHOCKED that the activists and John Conyers were unaware of this resource. /sarc

That was nice of you to post that info. We live on a fixed income but always pay our bills first. Our one luxury is internet access. I will certainly share that info at our next community meeting. Plenty of distressed seniors in our area. I am grateful we can meet our obligations but always remember that there but for the grace of God go I. Sumas

John Conyers knows about the DPW shut-offs and million dollar bailout for its customers for poor Detroiters. I'm glad that he's a politician for the people, not for corporations.

DPW have to shut off some water services for its their law and policy to do so. You use their services, you pay for it. Just like Edison, cable, insurances, internet, gas ect....

Many of us don't have jobs or have to pay off other debts. But water is our birthright just as air. We need water to live. Unfortunately corporations and municipalities have to create pure drinking water from the treatment plants to homes and businesses. Paying our three month water bills will cover all the maintenance works and other taxations. Without it no maintenance will be will done to pipe and sewage clean up and things will shut down.

This will be a lesson for all of us. Pay your bills. If not cut back! One day if your have more income coming in, then you have services once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    "Thousands of Detroit residents who are facing water shutoffs because they can’t pay their water bill will now have an avenue for assistance.
    As Detroit’s water department shuts off more taps, nearly $1 million is now available for low-income customers who need help paying their bills.
    The money has been accruing in an account that’s funded by a voluntary program that takes 50 cents from each paying residential customer’s bill, along with varying amounts from commercial customers, said Curtrise Garner with the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.
    People eligible for the Detroit Residential Water Assistance Program must live in single-family dwellings in the city, have received a shutoff notice and be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or participating in public-assistance programs. For Detroit, that means a household of four making $47,700 or less would qualify for assistance. Preference will be given to seniors".

"The assistance program makes available up to $1,500 per customer, so long as the amount owed is less than $2,500. To qualify, the customers must make some kind of contribution toward their accounts".

http://www.freep.com/article/2014070...water-shutoffs
    So is the fund going to pay going forward? And what about these people's ability to pay taxes and other utilities? If they can't pay the water, then they can't pay other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    So is the fund going to pay going forward? And what about these people's ability to pay taxes and other utilities? If they can't pay the water, then they can't pay other things.
    I wouldn't say that. Cable and cell phone bills are caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Going forward, well -- who knows. I'd suggest an increase to the voluntary contribution. And I'm sure we can all pay in more if we wish to support others less fortunate.

As to their other obligations, the idea here is that a functioning, viable city will aid them. The US is amazing supportive of those less fortunate. We're not perfect, of course, but we are a very generous people.

I'm glad to see this program given some time in the spotlight.

Get's DWSD of the hook primarily. Wonder how many fall into that catagory of $47.000 for a family of 4 who did pay the water bill? What's to be learned from this?

When we were a struggling family of 4, living in Detroit, living from payday to payday, I made sure our bills were paid. There were no handouts available for us because we made a few dollars more than required to get aid. Detroit didn't pay that well, but like I said, it offered some benefits that I thought were appealing for my future...like pension and healthcare, well we all see where that got us.

To me, to enable people to get away with not paying their utilities is obscene. What's next...DTE, Consumers, taxes? I don't know of a town, city, suburb, rural area, anywhere in the U.S. that let's people get away with what's going on in Detroit today. Unless you have a well where your water is free on your land, you have to pay your bills...plain and simple.

Does anyone really believe that the restrictions to this plan will be enforced? I don't think so...so the Government just perpetuates the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Going forward, well -- who knows. I'd suggest an increase to the voluntary contribution. And I'm sure we can all pay in more if we wish to support others less fortunate.

As to their other obligations, the idea here is that a functioning, viable city will aid them. The US is amazing supportive of those less fortunate. We're not perfect, of course, but we are a very generous people.

I'm glad to see this program given some time in the spotlight.
    Nice to see a little kindness on this forum. We make small contributions to thaw, habitat and other orgs. Detroiters are generous, probably because we see such need in the community. So many comments really come down to blatant racism when the reality is it is mostly white folk in the system. People in need are people in need. Of course there are people who play the system but mostly plain poverty and no jobs are the real culprit.

I did some research on this fund and it seems it was kick started 6 years ago or so with 5 million. Over time it has dwindled and been called on the carpet for mismanagment of various abnormalities.

I'm betting it got a financial boost again. I could be wrong. Probably so.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Nice to see a little kindness on this forum. We make small contributions to thaw, habitat and other orgs. Detroiters are generous, probably because we see such need in the community. So many comments really come down to blatant racism when the reality is it is mostly white folk in the system. People in need are people in need. Of course there are people who play the system but mostly plain poverty and no jobs are the real culprit.
    Kindness is a virtue. The question up for debate is how we express our kindness, and what is the best way to get good results.

The radicals here [[both left & right) miss that their political opponents are not usually evil. Most are well-intention people with different [[dare I say diverse) opinions. And yes, of course there are evil people out there of all political stripes.

Me? I believe that we do have a social obligation to help those in need. However I think handouts are 99 44/100% counterproductive. And I think government has proven to be a terrible tool to accomplish social good. [[See Dan's post about the water fund.)

The question is how, I hope. The goal for most people is a better, just society for all.

I do think if people get handouts like this then their finances should be evaluated. If you can't afford water you don't necessarily need other things like TV, internet, and iPhones. I don't know the particular situation here, but I know where I live a lot of people are on welfare or food stamps and they still have nicer stuff than my family and I do, even though my Dad's been working for more than 30 years and my Mom for nearly 20 [[she was stay-at-home/in college when we were little).

I think you need to be careful helping people. Some people have their priorities out of whack in the first place.
    Last edited by LeannaM; July-09-14 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I do think if people get handouts like this then their finances should be evaluated. If you can't afford water you don't necessarily need other things like TV, internet, and iPhones. I don't know the particular situation here, but I know where I live a lot of people are on welfare or food stamps and they still have nicer stuff than my family and I do, even though my Dad's been working for more than 30 years and my Mom for nearly 20 [[she was stay-at-home/in college when we were little).

I think you need to be careful helping people. Some people have their priorities out of whack in the first place.
    Most people's priorities are out-of-whack. The people who think domestic water delivery is a 'right' are high on the out-of-whack-priority list.

We all want everyone to have necessary water for life. Let's be like Europe. Put a few drinking/potable water fountains around the city... and let people fill their buckets. Problem solved by attaching a hose bib to city building's around town. Some here feel like solving this problem makes them noble. Their priorities are out-of-whack.

The more I read your posts the more impressed I am&grateful you're among us. The world could use many more cut like you ma'am
    Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    That was nice of you to post that info. We live on a fixed income but always pay our bills first. Our one luxury is internet access. I will certainly share that info at our next community meeting. Plenty of distressed seniors in our area. I am grateful we can meet our obligations but always remember that there but for the grace of God go I. Sumas

The only people that should get a break are seniors and people with disabilities that prevents them from working. Too many lazy ass people in Detroit that just sit around all day and watch tv and don't even cut their own grass. I work in these neighborhoods at times unfortunately and I see able bodies adults in their 20's just sitting on a porch all day doing shit while their yard is a mess. I'm not volunteering paying a dime for their water. They can bring buckets to the Detroit River.

Hah. Pay your bill indeed. Makes me think about that part in the Waynans film: 'Mo' Money!': Pay Yo' FAIR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDX7BFwcLSw

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...This will be a lesson for all of us. Pay your bills. If not cut back! One day if your have more income coming in, then you have services once again.

The crazy really starts on this subject when it is ignored that we have a gargantuan supply of fresh clean water right on our shore and somehow between free, putting it in the pipes and sending it on its way, it has become high priced. Go figure, we fucked up a great asset. It should be a low cost asset to the region instead of an albatross.

They're perhaps waiting for the government to come and mow it......

I know it irks me to see able bodied young MEN sitting around, shamelessly watching and allowing their moms, girlfriends and aunts and middle-aged women and men whacking weeds and mowing lawns while they save their precious vertebrae for other activities. I also question 'why' this allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    ...I work in these neighborhoods at times unfortunately and I see able bodies adults in their 20's just sitting on a porch all day doing shit while their yard is a mess. I'm not volunteering paying a dime for their water. They can bring buckets to the Detroit River.

Certainly I have seen the loafers but they are not the majority. I have also seen amazing volunteerism among our area young men. Our area is so well groomed because young relatives of a neighbor come almost weekly to mow weed whip etc. 3 to 7 of them they quite often spend up to 7 hrs.

I do laugh though as an aged feminist the communes up the street have men and women. The young women are the ones who built our raised beds for the community garden, planted the plants, dug the fire pit etc. They did get help from men from an adjacent community to help till the in ground bed and haul in soil amendments.

^^^ Yes, I hear you. What you describe sounds balanced, that's good. I'm a 'weak-tea' feminist I suppose when it comes to feeling affirmed to see men do nothing while women toil. I don't feel affirmed in that, and not participating. Too many young male teens and young men sitting on their butts - coddled and spoiled.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-14 at 07:12 AM.

Actually it comes down to taking the path of least resistance. It's easier to do it yourself than force the unwilling.

Then you have the aspect of perfectionism where everything they do is half-assed.

That's seems to be normal parenting.

This gangster and thug attitude of macho is different I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-10-14 at 07:59 AM.

I'm all for helping out the less fortunate. What's say we drug test those who wish to receive free utilities as such?

Basically, you have no incentive to work, and because of lack of code enforcement, no reason to keep up your property, either. You can live in Detroit and literally do nothing all day, and enjoy a standard of living astronomically higher than the millions working during every daylight hour in every third world country. Half of Detroit property owners don't pay taxes. You don't pay taxes or a water bill? And you have food stamps, so you've got food, stealing electricity I'm sure, it's truly the good life! Nothing to do but spend money on drugs and weapons.

The people here really disgust me. Oh, I guess you can spend your free time not working beating the shit out of tree-trimmers. What a bunch of shitbags. Ruined one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Until I get out of this state in November I'm going to keep the shotgun nearby and end anybody who tries to take what I've worked so hard for. Foolish of me to think work, education, military service, abiding by laws were somehow the right thing to do. Just cry broke and play the race card and you're an instant victim.
    Last edited by poobert; July-11-14 at 07:37 PM.

Ehh, that is not going to work! Hah! The ACLU would protest that action to the courts!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm all for helping out the less fortunate. What's say we drug test those who wish to receive free utilities as such?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-14 at 10:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast