Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 7-11 downtown

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A week? Please your original example was a year and 3/4ths. Big difference. A week can be explained by having a lot fewer staff than there is work to do.
    understanding Starbucks was to open around the same time Potbelly had opened which was late last fall. Starbucks didn't open until Spring and was delayed a few weeks longer. Is the city inspectors playing favorites on who the give the nod and the geenlight to? Duggan need to go to the puppet Kevyn Orr and demand more money to hire building and safety inspectors so the more businesses could open adding more revenue to the city.

If I remember right wasn't the timetable to open late last year at the latest?

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineGirl93 View Post
    Pretty much anything that hasn't been done by Dan Gilbert has been delayed. They all try to match Dan's timelines, promising build-to-open in like, six months, and don't deliver. I expected the 7-11s to open this summer, and expect for several of the announced projects to be delayed 3-6 months because that's the nature of the business. It's not just the city, the developers run behind, their contractors take forever to get electrical up to code, etc. It's just way way easier to say "CITY DID IT!!" rather than "We either over promised or under preformed and apologize, but it will be open ______"

s it was supposed to had opened late last year but it probably had taken 8 months to get untangled out of the city's red tape. Liquor Stores are exempt

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Pretty much anything that hasn't been done by Dan Gilbert has been delayed. They all try to match Dan's timelines, promising build-to-open in like, six months, and don't deliver. I expected the 7-11s to open this summer, and expect for several of the announced projects to be delayed 3-6 months because that's the nature of the business. It's not just the city, the developers run behind, their contractors take forever to get electrical up to code, etc. It's just way way easier to say "CITY DID IT!!" rather than "We either over promised or under preformed and apologize, but it will be open ______"
    The 7 11 on Chene and Jefferson had opened in a timely manner. Parkway Foods had relocated in a timely manner. Dan Gilbert also have problems bring the retail he wanted to downtown Detroit. It's Dan who's causing the delay. I still blame it on the corruption and red tape that the city has practice and put up so that businesses will have a hard time setting up shop in the downtown area

Potbelly opened pretty quickly, and HopCat claims to be on schedule. Bagger Dave's wasn't too far behind schedule either. I think it's all just case-by-case.

At first it also said that there would be three 7-11's downtown. The one at Chene and Jefferson opened pretty quickly I thought. I'm assuming the building needed major repairs and the owner is trying to do everything on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Potbelly opened pretty quickly, and HopCat claims to be on schedule. Bagger Dave's wasn't too far behind schedule either. I think it's all just case-by-case.
    So we can assume Potbelly, which is a national corporation, would not have partaken is Stasu's supposed corruption and bribery, because they would have pretty stiff penalties. And HopCat and Bagger Dave's don't seem like the type of businesses that would "play ball" with those kinds of urban myths.

So why is this particular 7/11 taking so long? Do you guys genuinely think it's because of red tape? Because last time I was by there, permits were up and it looked like work SHOULD have been being done, but none was.

Whoops, sorry, Same Old Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick Broken City Dysfunctional Processes Lazy City Workers, I forgot, y'all got me

So we can assume Potbelly, which is a national corporation, would not have partaken is Stasu's supposed corruption and bribery, because they would have pretty stiff penalties. And HopCat and Bagger Dave's don't seem like the type of businesses that would "play ball" with those kinds of urban myths.

So why is this particular 7/11 taking so long? Do you guys genuinely think it's because of red tape? Because last time I was by there, permits were up and it looked like work SHOULD have been being done, but none was.

Whoops, sorry, Same Old Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick Broken City Dysfunctional Processes Lazy City Workers, I forgot, y'all got me
    A building permit on the window doesnt mean squat if you have to wait forever to get the final nod from the inspector to open for business. That is what many businesses had experienced before they had opened for business. Some h as d experienced no shows from city inspectors the day before or the day of the opening. It's not me making wild accusations for theatrics

Pardon my typos. It's had pecking on this cellular phone

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    A building permit on the window doesnt mean squat if you have to wait forever to get the final nod from the inspector to open for business. That is what many businesses had experienced before they had opened for business. Some h as d experienced no shows from city inspectors the day before or the day of the opening. It's not me making wild accusations for theatrics
    If you've walked past the location, you'd know it still looks like crap and isn't "awaiting final nod". It's still being built to some extent and I would guess, unless someone can quote the developer saying otherwise, that this is more likely than not their fault.

If you've walked past the location, you'd know it still looks like crap and isn't "awaiting final nod". It's still being built to some extent and I would guess, unless someone can quote the developer saying otherwise, that this is more likely than not their fault.
    Who's fault is it?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Who's fault is it?
    Mediocre private businesses who regularly blame government and not themselves. They haven't come out and said anything about it, and it leads me to believe they dropped the ball on something.

Which will open first - Ilitch's 5 new neighborhoods with thousands of businesses and residences or someplace where I can actually walk to get a slurpee? This board is funny sometimes.

Hoping for an International House of Slurpee.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Hoping for an International House of Slurpee.
    Go suck down a Froster from Mac's you hoser!

I just joined DetroitYes so I may have missed something. Was the 7-11 in downtown going to be different from all the other 7-11's in America? If not I don't understand all the excitement about a place who's only claim to fame is the Slurpee. It's not like a major food chain or department store is opening downtown. Is it going to be a Super 7-11 or something?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    I just joined DetroitYes so I may have missed something. Was the 7-11 in downtown going to be different from all the other 7-11's in America? If not I don't understand all the excitement about a place who's only claim to fame is the Slurpee. It's not like a major food chain or department store is opening downtown. Is it going to be a Super 7-11 or something?
    It's a successful national retailer that wants to open a store in Detroit. Unfortunately, this is still a pretty rare occurrence, so it garners some excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's a successful national retailer that wants to open a store in Detroit. Unfortunately, this is still a pretty rare occurrence, so it garners some excitement.
    I see your point...thanks
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; July-22-14 at 01:32 PM.

It's open. Hours are 24x7. Beer and Wine is for sale during legally allowed hours. Prices were good! No credit card minimum either!

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    It's open. Hours are 24x7. Beer and Wine is for sale during legally allowed hours. Prices were good! No credit card minimum either!
    bullet proof glass?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    My guess would be that it's the first 7-11 in the city of Detroit since the one on University and Warren closed I believe that was the only one left at one point.

My guess would be that it's the first 7-11 in the city of Detroit since the one on University and Warren closed I believe that was the only one left at one point.
    There were a 7 11 on East Warren near Cadieux which closed around 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Impossible! They were going to back out. And a 24/7 business will never work in Detroit, it will get robbed every night!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2