Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7-11 downtown

Default 7-11 downtown

Does anyone know when the 7-11 on Randolph in Cadillac Square is to open? The one on Jefferson and Chene had been opened for a couple of months. I see lighting inside the downtown location is on but the paper is still on the windows

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does anyone know when the 7-11 on Randolph in Cadillac Square is to open? The one on Jefferson and Chene had been opened for a couple of months. I see lighting inside the downtown location is on but the paper is still on the windows
    Once the paper comes off, they'll be open.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not if the doors are locked...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Honky Tonk you are not one of those pain in the butt building and safety inspectors who prolong the opening of retail by not showing for the final inspection in a timely manner, are you?

Honky Tonk you are not one of those pain in the butt building and safety inspectors who prolong the opening of retail by not showing for the final inspection in a timely manner, are you?
    No, I'm the Squishy Inspector. No 7-11 will open until the Squishy machines are properly installed, and operating @ the exact Federally mandated Squishy machine operating temperature.

Apparently Honky Tonk is the smartass

Hopefully they don't open until the hot dogs have been on the metal rollers for at least 5 hours. that's when they's gettin good! mmmm! mmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Hopefully they don't open until the hot dogs have been on the metal rollers for at least 5 hours. that's when they's gettin good! mmmm! mmmm!

Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.

They will open about a month or so before some desperate fool with a gun shoots the place up.
    Last edited by Bobl; July-09-14 at 11:47 PM.

^^^^ suburban/exurban 7-11s get robbed, too. But oh, wait, crime is an "outlier" where the 'burbanites live. Somebody gets pickpocketed in Detroit and it's "proof" that city residents are "culturally corrupt/ don't have standards"...
    Last edited by Hypestyles; July-10-14 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ^^^^ suburban/exurban 7-11s get robbed, too. But oh, wait, crime is an "outlier" where the 'burbanites live. Somebody gets pickpocketed in Detroit and it's "proof" that city residents are "culturally corrupt/ don't have standards"...
    In high school my wife moved from the farmlands of Michigan to Clawson. I took her to the Taco Bell there and she said, "Oh, that's cute, they have a thing on the door to measure how tall you are."

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    In high school my wife moved from the farmlands of Michigan to Clawson. I took her to the Taco Bell there and she said, "Oh, that's cute, they have a thing on the door to measure how tall you are."
    LMAO! Yeah that is what it is there for!

I had went to a Philly Steak restaurant in Grosse Pointe that had just opened this week. It had taken only three months for the restaurant to renovate the spot and open. It had taken a year or two for the 7-11 to open on Randolph and Red Hook to still trying to open in West Village. Mayor Duggan need to fire the director of the Building and Safety Permits dept and hire a whole new crew. Corruption, greed, and incompetence still plague the dept resulting in businesses not being able to open in a timely manner causing other potential businesses to have second thoughts on opening in Detroit especially the downtown area. Get rid of Greg Jackson from the Detroit scene if he or his cronies are still in the background pulling the strings. I don't go to 7-11 that much but I cant stand to see opening soon signs in Detroit a year after those signs were put up in those storefronts while suburban businesses opens a few months after their opening soon signs were hung in their storefronts

I had went to a Philly Steak restaurant in Grosse Pointe.......
    How the HELL did you find your way in past the barricade??????

Seriously, though, you're absolutely right. I cringe everytime I have to deal with Detroit's bureaucratic dynasty. It's like going back in time 30 years.

I had went to a Philly Steak restaurant in Grosse Pointe that had just opened this week. It had taken only three months for the restaurant to renovate the spot and open. It had taken a year or two for the 7-11 to open on Randolph and Red Hook to still trying to open in West Village. Mayor Duggan need to fire the director of the Building and Safety Permits dept and hire a whole new crew. Corruption, greed, and incompetence still plague the dept resulting in businesses not being able to open in a timely manner causing other potential businesses to have second thoughts on opening in Detroit especially the downtown area. Get rid of Greg Jackson from the Detroit scene if he or his cronies are still in the background pulling the strings. I don't go to 7-11 that much but I cant stand to see opening soon signs in Detroit a year after those signs were put up in those storefronts while suburban businesses opens a few months after their opening soon signs were hung in their storefronts
    I have it on good authority that you shouldn't plan to see this store open, nor any other 7-11 in Detroit. It has nothing to do with any city department, but nice job pointing the finger in their direction. 7-eleven determined that there are better opportunities elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    I have it on good authority that you shouldn't plan to see this store open, nor any other 7-11 in Detroit. It has nothing to do with any city department, but nice job pointing the finger in their direction. 7-eleven determined that there are better opportunities elsewhere.
    Uh.. they already opened one earlier this year, and the one on Randolph already has 7-Eleven branding up in the windows.

Wrong There is one opening on Randolph street and Cadillac Square. The logos are already on the windows

Wrong There is one opening on Randolph street and Cadillac Square. The logos are already on the windows
    I understand one is already open, and that the logo is on the windows at another. Just passing along what I heard from the broker working on the deal.

I understand one is already open, and that the logo is on the windows at another. Just passing along what I heard from the broker working on the deal.
    I still blame the city for 7/11 pulling out. The city government had discouraged many business, especially chain franchises from opening

Why is it assumed that it is a permit issue? This is going into a building that has had no tenants for years. It could be that major updates are required to the building. That requires a lot of coordination with the landlord to update the building. It could be that the landlord is trying to do things on the cheap, or has looked at risk/reward in a bizarre way. It could be that they have to renegotiate about who is in charge of what.

There are lots of businesses that open in Detroit with much shorter turn arounds. Every situation is unique.

I still blame the city for 7/11 pulling out. The city government had discouraged many business, especially chain franchises from opening
    Yeah, you know that I heard once from the comments section of an MLive article that you have to pay off three dozen of Kwame's closest relatives to get a permit!! I can't believe that! I bet Mike Duggan replaced them with HIS OWN FAMILY MEMBERS!! Can you believe the laziness of these underworked paper pushers????

Did you ever stop to think that the city's Building Department may have been gutted with all the cuts and their workload isn't as manageable as you think? Wait, naw, it's Detroit, it's corruption or stupidity or Democrats or laziness or whatever you feel.

Sure. The escalating crime rate in the city due to the flight of wealth from the city had nothing to do with it.

It was all the Gubbmint's fault...

Have fun with that. Have you ever experienced the permit process first hand? If not, then I think you should step back. Believe it or not, there are plenty better reasons why a company with finite resources chooses to do business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why is it assumed that it is a permit issue? This is going into a building that has had no tenants for years. It could be that major updates are required to the building. That requires a lot of coordination with the landlord to update the building. It could be that the landlord is trying to do things on the cheap, or has looked at risk/reward in a bizarre way. It could be that they have to renegotiate about who is in charge of what.

There are lots of businesses that open in Detroit with much shorter turn arounds. Every situation is unique.
    Starbucks in the Ernst and Young building had issues with the inspector when the store was set to open. He didn't show on the set date. Starbucks had to open a week later. The store is in a modern building. No excuse

Starbucks in the Ernst and Young building had issues with the inspector when the store was set to open. He didn't show on the set date. Starbucks had to open a week later. The store is in a modern building. No excuse
    A week? Please your original example was a year and 3/4ths. Big difference. A week can be explained by having a lot fewer staff than there is work to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast