Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Neighborhood Fourth of July Fireworks: HOW LOUD?

For the last two hours solid, INCREDIBLY LOUD and dense in my area a few blocks south of Clairmont, near Henry Ford Hospital, West Grand Blvd! Smoky and very few pauses between loud detonations, explosions with full plume works - high in the sky - and lots of light and smaller works going off in between. What's it like in your area?

It's ever been this loud before... was there a discount sale on works this year?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-14 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For the last two hours solid, INCREDIBLY LOUD and dense in my area a few blocks south of Clairmont, near Henry Ford Hospital, West Grand Blvd! Smoky and very few pauses between loud detonations, explosions with full plume works - high in the sky - and lots of light and smaller works going off in between. What's it like in your area?

It's ever been this loud before... was there a discount sale on works this year?
    Well, those heavy duty fireworks can now be legally sold in Michigan, so more people have easier access to them this year.

And yes, they're extremely loud in NE Detroit as well...

Not sure if fireworks or the usual gunshots...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They just ended here in the Corridor, glad thats over with. I never remember hearing so many in past years. The new good stuff being sold in Michigan certainly did have an effect.

Feeling bad for all the poor doggies all over Michigan. One acquaintance gave his buddy a doggie downer to calm him, he turned up the radio as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ASR89 View Post
    Not sure if fireworks or the usual gunshots...
    I have the same sentiment. I can tell the difference between a firecracker and a gun shot, and I heard more gunshots.

Drove past that area on I-94 going home from the Tiger game. The area was filled with a hazy smoke from all the fireworks. It was pretty thick over there.

My neighbors must all be broke. Usually two weeks before and two weeks after the 4th its noisy but not this year. The booms started around 6pm and stopped around midnight. A few sounded like dynamite though. Two of our dogs cowered under the dining room table. The 3rd was too stupid to notice.

I love those booms that vibrate deep in your chest one right after the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Drove past that area on I-94 going home from the Tiger game. The area was filled with a hazy smoke from all the fireworks. It was pretty thick over there.
    Drove home from SCC through the 'hood, and was surprised @ the caliber of fireworks being shot off and from where. People were lighting them off in front of porch steps with overhanging trees and such. I knew they had legalized fireworks but I didn't realize the professional ones. Why bother going anywhere to see a fireworks show? You can see a good one from your front porch. Intersections were foggy with the smell of thick smoke. And yes, there were gunshots mixed in as well. Kind of disconcerting sitting @ a light.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-05-14 at 06:18 AM.

Cross posting from the other thread.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/rep...higan-firework

Too loud near me. I'm sick of this shit. Let's vote out anyone who supported this idiocy this fall.

Bring back M-80's and cherry bombs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dan wesson View Post
    bring back m-80's and cherry bombs!!!!
    Oh, hell yes!!!! Silver barrels weren't to shabby either.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-05-14 at 06:59 AM.

http://woodtv.com/2014/07/03/firewor...p-in-michigan/

The number of people being injured by fireworks is up in the state of Michigan, according to the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center.

We also had a lot of these fireworks, not as loud though, but still visible no matter which way you looked. This was at Eureka near Fort Street.

Hah! I will stick with silly kiddie 'Sparklers'. I grew up with a neighbor missing a whole hand and a thumb from mishandling a big exploding firework.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oh, hell yes!!!! Silver barrels weren't to shabby either.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-14 at 08:07 PM.

Hah! I will stick with stilly 'Sparklers'. I grew up with a neighbor missing a whole hand and a thumb from mishandling an big exploding firework.
    I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor, that's horrible. I was witness to and had a couple of close calls myself. It's easy, especially in an altered state, to forget what you're dealing with and become "invincible". That's why I was surprised @ some of the ways I saw fireworks being handled last night. I like sparklers.

The fireworks going off in my area this year were the loudest and longest I've ever heard. My house shook a number of times and I was nervous when the Japanese lanterns
    floated over my roof, extinguished, and floated down towards my house. I'm sure there was fresh hot embers still ready it ignite a dry tree or roof.

The other thing that I noticed was that some of my neighbors, from three or four blocks surrounding my street, those who don't have a pot to piss in, had the biggest, loudest, most expensive fireworks legally available. I'll never feel sorry for them again or help them out when they are in need. Their priorities are f$&@ed up, and the big display they put on, most of them while impaired, was much more important to them than putting new shoes on the kids.

you sound fun pam!!!

A couple of years ago, west of Montreal, a fireworks warehouse blew up.

Firework Factory Explodes - RAW HD: http://youtu.be/9Kx5TK1Goz8

You guys know how to celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    you sound fun pam!!!
    I wonder if Poobert's single?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder if Poobert's single?
    I saw fireworks, they both said.

Hardly anything in our immediate neighborhood but visible all around on the horizon. Altogether it seemed less than last year.

When we were kids we made a firecracker that was a foot long and an inch in diameter [[inside). We buried it a foot deep with a long fuse. It was the loudest explosion I'd ever heard. It rained gravel all over the neighborhood and left a three-foot crater.

No harm done but !

I've never seen or heard anything like it. I don't really give a shit, either way. If you're going to go to sleep, have some whiskey, put on a box fan, and put some earplugs in. Probably solved. Get a less wussy dog. I like any celebration of the 4th.

What I don't get is how expensive they are and how widely used they were throughout the city. I could not afford a display like that. Maybe people should pay their goddamn water bill before they literally send "their" money up in smoke.

It's a curious thing. Everybody in this city is crying broke and for some kind of charity when it comes to things like the utility bill or rent payments, but I see ungodly amounts of cash flying around for Newports, the Lottery, Fireworks, weed, and rims. It's all so very curious. And being to broke to clean up your property - never really understood being too broke to do something that doesn't cost anything. Fascinating place, this Detroit.
    Last edited by poobert; July-05-14 at 12:41 PM.

A lot of people got their "1st of the month" checks and food stamps on the 3rd, so that explains how some of them were able to afford those fireworks.

As for the rest, the 1990 ABC Primetime Detroit special suggested that the drug trade was a $1 Billion dollar industry in Detroit. So while those people may be afraid to put their name on a water bill [[as the government can track that), they have plenty of money to afford their 22" rims and heavy duty fireworks [[which they can pay cash for).

As a sidebar, it's funny how the "1st of the month" is the only time when Detroit actually feels like a real city and not a ghost town [[and there's legit rush hour traffic). Everyone's out and about trying to cash their checks and spend their money instead of sitting at home crying broke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast