Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Reflections on the HP Film 'The Water Front' - Detroit?

I just watched "The Water Front" 2010 on Netflix. I find it interesting that Highland Park's residents claims of inaccurate billing, poor collection policies and estimates with reads as high as 2K for folks living alone, making such use suspect.

The documentary talks about a near skeleton crew at the HP Water Plant and offices. Billing has to impacted from that. Withstanding folk who simply skip out on paying bills, I wonder how many households in Detroit are being over estimated on their actual bills?

http://www.waterfrontmovie.com/

Two minute clip of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo_E2xMXTA
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-14 at 02:03 PM.

I watched it. It was pretty interesting.

Some customers with huge bills and no evidence of usage? If I saw a bill for several hundred make it's way to my door I'd be upset too. Then the consultants have the nerve to say it a problem with your house and not the old lines strewn across their city.

I'm sure there are some parallels to Detroit's situation minus the whole Privatization angle presented to HP in this documentary.

Nice ending with the EM and consultants getting the boot. These consultants were so fake, its really appalling...

Zacha: What has happened with HP's water situation in the 4 years since this documentary was made?

I wish an audit would be done period on water billing. For 3 month straight my bill was 63.41. That just isn't possible. The next month was 63.11. The next bill was 111.15. My husband was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks during that billing cycle. I did no laundry and mostly ate carry out so almost no washing dishes. I had had a problem with some plumbing issues previous but all got taken care of. New water heater, no faucet drips, diffusers on all faucets and tub and shower. I am baffled. I am expecting another large bill because someone "borrowed" water and left my hose running all night. That is at least explainable.