Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default USA vs Belgium Pics of World Cup Match on the Big Screen on Cadillac Square at 4

Go Yanks. Go USA. The Crowd is Gathering.

Looks like the screens are bigger and higher this time. Last time they were too low to the ground. It's nice to seem them fix that!

Crowd - loud and growing. Singing and chanting USA! USA! USA!

This would be unthinkable in even the recent past. Realistically USA has no chance but as Americans are suckers for underdogs and Cinderella so that just adds to the enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Crowd - loud and growing. Singing and chanting USA! USA! USA!

This would be unthinkable in even the recent past. Realistically USA has no chance but as Americans are suckers for underdogs and Cinderella so that just adds to the enthusiasm.
    Looks like you're at Millender?

It's been fun to hear the crowd out the window. Whoever came up with this, it's a good idea. I hope they do more events like this!

Goodbye world cup!!!

Great pics, thanks. Wish I could have been there but I watched the Tim Howard show at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Goodbye world cup!!!
    Goodbye! But it was a great run. USA was outplayed by Belgium, but they had some great chances -- and that amazing goal by the 19 yo kid. Soccer is great fun to watch on TV. Now who do we cheer on?

On subject, who puts up those video screens? Gilbert?

Great pictures!

Attended with the whole family and had a great time. A number of people commented how great a setting it was and how it felt like a real city... young people, sense of community, something fun to do. Most enjoyed a beer from the cafe at CM during halftime and you could also step inside the First National to get a break from the sun. Clean fun an no problems that I saw.

Wish there was something like that every month downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    Attended with the whole family and had a great time. A number of people commented how great a setting it was and how it felt like a real city... young people, sense of community, something fun to do. Most enjoyed a beer from the cafe at CM during halftime and you could also step inside the First National to get a break from the sun. Clean fun an no problems that I saw.

Wish there was something like that every month downtown.
    Soccer fans wish the World Cup could be more frequent too.

This whole World Cup has been fantastic esp. as each participating country has a min. of three games so it isn't 'one and done' like NCAA basketball tourney or NFL playoffs. So fans of teams of 32 countries have at least 3 matches to root. Most of the world's population was involved other than say India, China, etc. but North, South and Central America, Europe, Africa, etc. had a great time.

I think a lot of the allure has been Brasil, a perfect host country.

Put these games in Russia and they go flat, somewhat.

I'd like to see the U.S.A. bid for the World Cup and 2024 Olympics [[Washington, D.C.?).

Potverdekke! It's great to be a Belgian!