Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    In Quebec, even though the separatist movement is at its lowest ebb, few people celebrate Canada day except Anglos and immigrants. Quebecois celebrate on the 24th of July the St-Jean Baptiste national holiday. Both holidays have fireworks at different parks usually on lake or river front. As for meeting with girls, even so much as winking at one on the street is considered a grave sin here, however we do make up for this by engaging in arcane sexual practices once congress is deemed favorable to both parties in a very level headed fashion. We are all closet teetotalers, because we need to drink in order to break the ice, and since we break a lot of ice here, we tend to drink too much.

The winking thing never worked much for me anyway. I usually get asked "What's wrong with your eye???" Hey, Can I borrow your drill?

The winking thing didn't get much traction in Canada. We relied on it too much and the population didn't explode the way it did in the U.S. At least you guys learn from your mistakes. Must be something in yr water, or beer.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The winking thing didn't get much traction in Canada. We relied on it too much and the population didn't explode the way it did in the U.S. At least you guys learn from your mistakes. Must be something in yr water, or beer.
    Hormones?....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hormones?....
    Testosterone sounds like a product Valvoline could market.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'll never fully understand some Americans campy fetishism of Canada.

Sure, I'd rather be bordering Canada, than, say, Uzbekistan, but as another poster pointed out, Canadians seem to have an ax to grind with the United States [[if they'd like to trade places with us and live next door to Mexico, perhaps they'd realize how good they have it).

A few Canadian cities are nice, but they're largely bland, and, of course, few and far between. I find the idea of a monarchy baffling and stupid, let alone one headed by someone across an ocean [[think, if something should befall William, you get a guy who wears Nazi armbands as your head of state, no questions asked!). Our population is nearly ten times that of theirs, and they don't really have the legacy of slavery to deal with, so of course our problems are going to be a bit more, say, challenging. I do have to say that in principle I'm proud that we came out and declared our independence from a tyrannical colonial power, rather than simply biding our time till things got better. Their Prime Minister also appears to be a fairly moronic right-winger who has been in office seemingly forever, which people like to leave out the discussions about how their politics are inexplicably better than ours. There is also the grim reality that they refer to Windsor as their 'sun parlour'. After last winter?? Be thankful we have Miami, Savannah, New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Puerto Rico for crissake!

Canada, great, sure, whatever. Loved the place when I was 19. Wish them all the best but there is no place like the USA.

I know I shouldn't take the bait and reply to a post that verges on trolling.....

But.....I'm giving in to temptation.

First, Poobert, it may not have occurred to you that most Canadians don't have an axe to grind with most Americans; just the ones you who like you, rudely spoil a thoughtful 'Happy Birthday' wish with a list of ill-informed grievances.

That kind of rudeness is offensive from members of any nationality, to members of any nationality.

Second to correct a few points.

1) Outside of a small number of closed-minded bigots [[ever society has them) most Canadians don't go around insulting or thinking less of the U.S. or 'Americans' writ large.

Of course, most Canadians prefer Canada; not because its 'objectively better' but because, as with citizens of any country that isn't falling to bits, we love what we know and have grown up with and are socialized to.

Doubtless you will get some comments from time to time about the crime in the U.S. or some such thing. But I don't imagine most Americans are any more pleased by the murder rate; its merely an observation; not a condemnation of an entire country.

2) Lord North [[the British PM at the time of the Tea Party) was not Tyrannical by the day's standards. Yes, the colonists were unrepresented in Parliament, as had always been the case; and yes they paid taxes to that same gov't. This is not an anti-revolution tirade, LOL; but rather let's not get into ahistorical nonsense when describing a colonial revolt.

3) Canada had functional independence [[before 1867) probably , 60 years after the American revolution. As for Monarchs, you have one, you call him the president, even though he isn't directly elected by the people; and you give him direct power over the executive; The Queen doesn't actually have any say in Canadian politics, you knew that right? [[no, she doesn't sign the laws either, Royal Assent is granted by the Governor General, the Queen's representative and said party is appointed by the Prime Minister, and has virtually never refused to sign a bill passed by Parliament, and not all in the last century.

4) I have never heard anyone in Canada refer to Windsor as a 'sun parlour' it is the southernmost City in Canada w/the warmest summer temps [[Vancouver is warmer in winter). However, most of us go to Florida, or Cuba, or Jamaica or the Turks and Caicos mid-winter when wee need some January heat. Its only a passport away, and shorter than a flight to Hawaii or PR.

5) And finally.......Bland? LOL, really? Comparing what to what? There are many wonderful American cities, but I'm not sure how many would be 'less bland' than Toronto, Montreal or Quebec or Vancouver.

That said, a day early, let me wish my American friends and family a happy July 4th.

You have a wonderful country; Poobert notwithstanding, LOL
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; July-03-14 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I know I shouldn't take the bait and reply to a post that verges on trolling.....

But.....I'm giving in to temptation.

First, Poobert, it may not have occurred to you that most Canadians don't have an axe to grind with most Americans; just the ones you who like you, rudely spoil a thoughtful 'Happy Birthday' wish with a list of ill-informed grievances.

That kind of rudeness is offensive from members of any nationality, to members of any nationality.

Second to correct a few points.

1) Outside of a small number of closed-minded bigots [[ever society has them) most Canadians don't go around insulting or thinking less of the U.S. or 'Americans' writ large.

Of course, most Canadians prefer Canada; not because its 'objectively better' but because, as with citizens of any country that isn't falling to bits, we love what we know and have grown up with and are socialized to.

Doubtless you will get some comments from time to time about the crime in the U.S. or some such thing. But I don't imagine most Americans are any more pleased by the murder rate; its merely an observation; not a condemnation of an entire country.

2) Lord North [[the British PM at the time of the Tea Party) was not Tyrannical by the day's standards. Yes, the colonists were unrepresented in Parliament, as had always been the case; and yes they paid taxes to that same gov't. This is not an anti-revolution tirade, LOL; but rather let's not get into ahistorical nonsense when describing a colonial revolt.

3) Canada had functional independence [[before 1867) probably , 60 years after the American revolution. As for Monarchs, you have one, you call him the president, even though he isn't directly elected by the people; and you give him direct power over the executive; The Queen doesn't actually have any say in Canadian politics, you knew that right? [[no, she doesn't sign the laws either, Royal Assent is granted by the Governor General, the Queen's representative and said party is appointed by the Prime Minister, and has virtually never refused to sign a bill passed by Parliament, and not all in the last century.

4) I have never heard anyone in Canada refer to Windsor as a 'sun parlour' it is the southernmost City in Canada w/the warmest summer temps [[Vancouver is warmer in winter). However, most of us go to Florida, or Cuba, or Jamaica or the Turks and Caicos mid-winter when wee need some January heat. Its only a passport away, and shorter than a flight to Hawaii or PR.

5) And finally.......Bland? LOL, really? Comparing what to what? There are many wonderful American cities, but I'm not sure how many would be 'less bland' than Toronto, Montreal or Quebec or Vancouver.

That said, a day early, let me wish my American friends and family a happy July 4th.

You have a wonderful country; Poobert notwithstanding, LOL
    A very fair and polite rebuttal Canuck, separating from emotion with reason. I guess that's some people's definition of boredom.

Having been the recipient of your generosity with a grand tour of Montreal with our wives I can further assure any 'boring Canada' skeptics that Montreal is anything but that. It is a colorful, vibrant, open-minded, diverse and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I sometimes wish that Canada and the U.S. were one country. I mean really, why not? Imaginary lines that separate us. Mexico, conflicts? Does any of it make sense? We're all on a planet attempting to co-exist. Lines drawn on a map are all just made up crap. Figured out by, outdated shit. Sorry to get off topic, but......
    While I don't want us to be one country I would love a treaty similar to the European Union where we can cross the border freely to work, shop, vacation or whatever. [And I like the idea of Canada as another country for handy exile in the event of a worst-case scenario here -- like when your country is engaged in a genocidal war and wants you force you to participate.]

I can see why Canadians wouldn't want to be one government even more. The USA is backward in the treatment of its disadvantaged and other aspects. Historically the USA has invaded Canada on at least three occasions [and got its ass handed to it]. Following our war of independence many crown loyalist fled to Canada so, while distant, there is some sourness stemming from that.

So I settle for being thankful for to have such a free and prosperous country next to us and a part of our international metropolis of Detroit-Windsor.

I likewise want to acknowledge your generosity and liberal spirit Lowell. You are mistaking me for Canadian Visitor who is from Toronto. We can say the same about the vibrancy of T.O. and more. I really like your summing up of Canadian-American relations, I have no mistrust of the US. I am very confident in the progressive forces of change in your country. I love to visit and am fascinated by the human energy that manifests itself in the Arts or Industry. I wish better for the less fortunate, but Canada has a lot of issues to keep in check before it starts bawling out other countries on their social nets. Detroit's proximity to Canada gives it a privileged perch from which to observe Canadian affairs. Let's be frank about our problems without insulting or preaching as you say and we will enjoy a long and prosperous friendship. I love both countries with their faults and positive attributes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2