Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Belle Isle is meant to be enjoyed by all and is easily accessible by car.

The Jobbie Nooner is a place that you can only get to by boat, and people only go there to get sloshed. There's no reason to go there otherwise that I'm aware of.

I get it, but it's different. They're still tying up police resources, which sucks, but they're not preventing other people from enjoying or using a public resource.
    "Urban youth" looking at you funny is also not preventing you from using what downtown Detroit has to offer. In Nolan's situation, his own biases are disallowing him from enjoying downtown. He only cites the non-violent human shield deal at Chene Park and some reported fights at River Days, which has happened in the past prior to Belle Isle policing.

More 'where's the outrage now?'....

Police: Man's body found on Gull Island prior to Friday's Jobbie Nooner party

Clay Township Police Chief Donald Drake says it appears the man was camping on the Lake St. Clair island with friends in preparation for today's Jobbie Nooner celebration. Drake says the man was unresponsive when friends to wake him this morning.

Drake doesn't expect foul play, but says alcohol appears to be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

This is your attempt @ humor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    "Urban youth" looking at you funny is also not preventing you from using what downtown Detroit has to offer. In Nolan's situation, his own biases are disallowing him from enjoying downtown. He only cites the non-violent human shield deal at Chene Park and some reported fights at River Days, which has happened in the past prior to Belle Isle policing.
    Wow, I can't believe Nolan Finley wrote "urban youth" is his article! That's a racist way of saying "young black kids"! Oh wait, he didn't... Well, I guess the truth is a little more boring than making things up and putting them in quotes as if someone actually said or wrote them.

He's not talking about young people in general, he's talking about the troublemakers.

Now if you were arguing that there are no troublemakers in downtown, that would be different and I might agree with you. I work downtown and I haven't seen any troublemakers. Some aggressive panhandling, but no troublemakers.

Just so we have the facts here from the offending article. Finely didn't just make a bunch of statements out of thin air and apply them generally to all detroit teens/young adults. The guy hired by the DDP to oversee security there is saying there is a noticeable problem with a specific group and the business community there is saying it as well. Apparently the Chief of DPD agrees as he shifted resources to address it. but yea, it's totally just racist old nolan being racist.
    Those with a stake in downtown understand how fragile its comeback remains. There’s no greater threat than the perception the streets are not safe.

“We understand that,” says Harold Love, the retired Michigan State Police captain who was hired last fall as director of security for the Downtown Detroit Partnership. “With the compliance atmosphere now established on Belle Isle, the crowds are moving. It’s a party crowd, a hang-out crowd, and a lot of it is not appropriate for downtown.”

Love says the various downtown security agencies were caught off-guard by the flood of teens this summer. But he says they are aggressively responding.

“We are following a strategy of changing inappropriate behavior,” he says.

That means strict curfew and parking law enforcement and a greater police presence. After the business community met last fall with Detroit Police Chief James Craig, more resources were shifted downtown
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz36FACflYW

And yeah, that body found on gull is TOTALLY a double standard...

Clay Township Police Chief Donald Drake says it appears the man was camping on the Lake St. Clair island with friends in preparation for today's Jobbie Nooner celebration. Drake says the man was unresponsive when friends to wake him this morning.

Drake doesn't expect foul play, but says alcohol appears to be a factor.
    When someone turns up dead on gull because someone disrespected someone...then at least you'd be in the neighborhood of having a point about double standards.
    Last edited by bailey; July-01-14 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    This is your attempt @ humor, right?
    Nope, it's called irony. Irony that if this event with its several injuries and a death had happened at Belle Isle by a different set of people it would be leading the news and Mr. Finley could gnash his teeth in editorial codespeak outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And yeah, that body found on gull is TOTALLY a double standard...

When someone turns up dead on gull because someone disrespected someone...then at least you'd be in the neighborhood of having a point about double standards.
    Who knows? Do you? Cause of death has not been established.

The incident remains under investigation. The victim's identity was not released.

Nope, it's called irony. Irony that if this event it many injuries and a death had happened off Belle Isle by a different set of people it would be leading the news.
    no it's called trolling at this point.

You want to talk about Nolan ignoring or pretending Macomb county doesn't have a massive heroin and oxy epidemic among teens...ok, i can go with you on that. but this was a misfire from the get go.

Check the date on that "body found on Gull Island" story... It's from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Check the date on that "body found on Gull Island" story... It's from last year.
    I noticed... I thought that was HT's point about irony... going back a year to talk about a guy who died after he drank too much.

Soooooo, jobbie-nooner-ers are all racist, right? That's what I'm going with. Who's with me???!!! Build a wall in the lake somewhere!!!!!!!

At least at jobbie nooner, nobody is shooting at each other. In Detroit, you got the ghetto thugs shooting left and right. I just read a story about this guy who got shot in the back riding his bike on Woodward.

Lowell a troll? An ironic posit along with a jazzy bit of alliteration.

A troll posts just to get a rise out of folks, a troll loosely links disparate events in a vain attempt to make a point that would in polite conversation be considered odious.

lowell a troll? Maybe I should ask the family of my friend Deletha Word. You remember her? She was beaten, stripped and jumped to her death off the MacArthur Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Walpole island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpole...Reserve_No._46

Why is it that anyone that corrects you or disagrees with you, you automatically label a troll, and you become abusive? Are you that insecure?
    Hell yes, insecure absolutely. Abusive verbally/forum info, only to idiots. I have no issues with people who tell me I am wrong about things. Learn something every day is a mantra. Politeness is an art and few seem to know this. Informed information is valued. I have certainly apologized to many people of this forum when I misunderstood what they meant. Mea Culpa.

You on the other hand are abusive, rude and a true idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Hell yes, insecure absolutely. Abusive verbally/forum info, only to idiots. I have no issues with people who tell me I am wrong about things. Learn something every day is a mantra. Politeness is an art and few seem to know this. Informed information is valued. I have certainly apologized to many people of this forum when I misunderstood what they meant. Mea Culpa.

You on the other hand are abusive, rude and a true idiot.

And so I rest my case.....

i saw black people on gull island during jobbie nooner... and a nice set of black tits too...

just sayin

Jobbie Nooner: A bunch of largely white, largely large, drunk, white slobs who, despite the evaporation of automotive manufacturing jobs that allowed total morons to earn a middle-class income, unfortunately have the money to waste on boats, gas for boats, and alcohol, in an annual, all-out effort to get pitch-black, fall-down drunk [[while boating), in order to start fights, become grievously injured, and tie up law enforcement and military personnel.

The Fireworks: An inexplicably poorly-planned, largely pointless, wildly dangerous event that gives local young, predominantly, almost entirely fatherless black youths the opportunity to shoot, stab, and punch anything perceived to disrespect them in a Hajj-like crowd of tens of thousands.

Am I seriously the only one here able to hate nearly everything about this region equally?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Am I seriously the only one here able to hate nearly everything about this region equally?
    No. Who cares that national policies have greatly diminished metro Detroit as an international manufacturing powerhouse and the middle class jobs that go with it. We've got to get to the bottom of the important debate over whether white jackasses are more tolerable than black jackasses.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
    No. Who cares that national policies have greatly diminished metro Detroit as an international manufacturing powerhouse and the middle class jobs that go with it. We've got to get to the bottom of the important debate over whether white jackasses are more tolerable than black jackasses.
    Hilarious. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    Hilarious. Love it!
    Have to agree. Funny stuff.

More Internet Rowdyism - "Scores of Hurt Feelings" Reported

Jobbie Nooner: A bunch of largely white, largely large, drunk, white slobs who, despite the evaporation of automotive manufacturing jobs that allowed total morons to earn a middle-class income, unfortunately have the money to waste on boats, gas for boats, and alcohol, in an annual, all-out effort to get pitch-black, fall-down drunk [[while boating), in order to start fights, become grievously injured, and tie up law enforcement and military personnel.

The Fireworks: An inexplicably poorly-planned, largely pointless, wildly dangerous event that gives local young, predominantly, almost entirely fatherless black youths the opportunity to shoot, stab, and punch anything perceived to disrespect them in a Hajj-like crowd of tens of thousands.

I'm sure that the "region" has nothing to do with it. You just seem to hate everything. Have you ever had fun at anything other than bitching?

You seem to hate on Canada too. That's fairly equal treatment for you. But I appreciate your writing style. It's fresh and dynamic.

OK, Poobert. You cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Belle Isle is meant to be enjoyed by all and is easily accessible by car.

The Jobbie Nooner is a place that you can only get to by boat, and people only go there to get sloshed. There's no reason to go there otherwise that I'm aware of.

I get it, but it's different. They're still tying up police resources, which sucks, but they're not preventing other people from enjoying or using a public resource.
    Well then there's no reason for me to go there at all - I get sloshed on a boat, I'll be puking. If I get sloshed it has to be on dry land, not even standing on a puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Codespeak:

Black people: Rowdy
    White people: Blowing off steam
    Jobbie Nooner: One day a year
    Problems in City Parks: Ongoing

Jobbie Nooner: In the middle of a large body of water, isolated from everyone else, accessible only to those who specifically wish to go there to engage in that activity and not marketed as a family friendly location
    City Parks: The exact fucking opposite of that

Jobbie Nooner: Drunk people falling down and hurting themselves, no injuries due to violence
    City Parks: Actually deals with real crime, you know, the kind where people get hurt by other people. Like a gay man getting beaten in a Detroit park in a vicious hate crime attack while dozens of other people cheer it on and do nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2