Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More Rowdyism - "Scores Of Injuries" Reported

When will this end and we can feel safe on our lakes again!

KevgoBlue posted this link in another thread...

Jobbie Nooner Site Of Growing Weekend Party; Scores Of Injuries, Drunken Accidents - June 29, 2014 1:48 PM

Waiting for a Nolan Finley bathos* laden editorial noting that if the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores had not cracked down on boaters this wouldn't have happened.

*bathos: an effect of anticlimax created by an unintentional lapse in mood from the sublime to the trivial or ridiculous. [Finally found a fitting use for that word.]

Oh please: rowdyism and drunkeness on an isolated, uninhabited island in the middle of a good-sized lake with likely no children or frail elderly around does not compare at all with same on streets of Downtown Detroit which, in addition to the demographics singled out above, also likely contain business and leisure visitors to our fair city who do not need reinforcement for their concerns that Detroit is lawless place.

So your point is???

What does Grosse Pointe have to do with an island party all the way accross the lake? Why is SCS and Grosse Pointe even mentioned? also you ha

vou have to make an effort to get to the island, by boat only... you can very easily avoid the area, even if you are a boater... do you suggest that people avoid downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Jobbie Nooner Site Of Growing Weekend Party; Scores Of Injuries, Drunken Accidents - June 29, 2014 1:48 PM

Waiting for a Nolan Finley bathos* laden editorial noting that if the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores had not cracked down on boaters this wouldn't have happened.

*bathos: an effect of anticlimax created by an unintentional lapse in mood from the sublime to the trivial or ridiculous. [Finally found a fitting use for that word.]

I don't know. It looks to me like the one guy is going to play the Knock Out Game with the other one. The girl looks like she's ready to pull out her AK-47 because the guy with the beer bottle "disrespected" her.......

swing and a miss. This would make sense if Jobbie Nooner decided to relocate to belle isle or if there was a mass shooting or if the vast majority of injuries were from violent attacks instead of morons getting drunk and falling down. Then you'd have at least something closer to a point.

But, none of that is the issue here. it's a raucous party in the middle of Lake St Clair....and its there specifically to BE AWAY from everything and everyone not there on purpose.
    Last edited by bailey; July-01-14 at 10:09 AM.

I think that Lowell is referring to the double standard of how "urban youth" are not allowed to be rowdy, however if a bunch of young to middle aged white people want to get dangerously drunk and cause an absolute ruckus, that's totally fine. Nolan Finley would NEVER write an article criticizing these "CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY" on their wreckless, irresponsible partying, you know that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I think that Lowell is referring to the double standard of how "urban youth" are not allowed to be rowdy, however if a bunch of young to middle aged white people want to get dangerously drunk and cause an absolute ruckus, that's totally fine. Nolan Finley would NEVER write an article criticizing these "CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY" on their wreckless, irresponsible partying, you know that's true.
    yes because a bunch of boaters and various others getting hammered in the middle of a lake at a semi organized event once a year is EXACTLY the same thing as what Finley was talking about.

I mean come on. I'd get the "double standard" talk if jobbie nooner was at belle isle....

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    yes because a bunch of boaters and various others getting hammered in the middle of a lake at a semi organized event once a year is EXACTLY the same thing as what Finley was talking about.

I mean come on. I'd get the "double standard" talk if jobbie nooner was at belle isle....
    Yeah, a bunch of people getting intoxicated and partying, injuring themselves and others, also putting others at risk because I am absolutely SURE they have a DD for their boat... It might not be an apples to apples, but more of a cow dung to horse situation. Both situations stink, just in their own unique way. The double standard comes from ignoring the horse crap and calling out the cow crap.

Yeah, a bunch of people getting intoxicated and partying, injuring themselves and others, also putting others at risk because I am absolutely SURE they have a DD for their boat... It might not be an apples to apples, but more of a cow dung to horse situation. Both situations stink, just in their own unique way. The double standard comes from ignoring the horse crap and calling out the cow crap.
    The distinction here is the horse shit is out in the fields... the cow shit is in your living room.

Which one is the problem?

Thank you. Nolan Finley's baseless 'The state drove out Belle Isle rowdies and now they are acting out on the River Walk' [I paraphrase] applies here. BTW, I spend a lot of time on Belle Isle and things were always well controlled. "Let sleeping dogs lie."

My point is that there is no way this lawless behavior would be allowed off St. Clair Shores or the Pointes. So they anchor off Gull Island, not sure who owns that, and we pay for the law enforcement and clean-up. But, hey, it's just good old boys and girls having fun. No need for Mr. Finley's outrage.

I have been to a Jobbie Nooner many many moons ago. We have relatives in the Algonac area and our kids were with us. It was fun we swam and generally had a great time. Sorry it has devolved into a drunken party

swing and a miss. This would make sense if Jobbie Nooner decided to relocate to belle isle or if there was a mass shooting or if the vast majority of injuries were from violent attacks instead of morons getting drunk and falling down. Then you'd have at least something closer to a point.

But, none of that is the issue here. it's a raucous party in the middle of Lake St Clair....and its there specifically to BE AWAY from everything and everyone not there on purpose.
    Thank you. Reading failed attempts at humor like this makes me just want to hit my head against something. There is a huge difference between people getting loaded in the middle of the lake and people roaming crowded venues, looking to start random violence. I have been a part both -- someone who has gone out drinking with a group in semi-seclusion [[camping) and I have been jumped by a group pf 16-17 year olds for daring question why they were throwing pennies at me and calling me a "white bitch." Let me tell you, most people would rather get wet from falling out of their canoe than have to walk around for two weeks with a bruised face.
    Last edited by aoife; July-01-14 at 10:58 AM.

Codespeak:

Black people: Rowdy
    White people: Blowing off steam

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I have been to a Jobbie Nooner many many moons ago. We have relatives in the Algonac area and our kids were with us. It was fun we swam and generally had a great time. Sorry it has devolved into a drunken party
    Were you actually there for the once a year Friday event that is "Jobbie Nooner" or just another weekend day on Gull Island or Muscamoot? I've been going to Jobbie Nooner on and off for a long time, and it's never really been what I would consider "family friendly". Most other days of the year Gull Island is just as you described with lots of families and kids swimming.

... So they anchor off Gull Island, not sure who owns that,...
    I recall reading that one reason they can get away with that party is because Gull Island is technically under the jurisdiction of the Army and the Army is forbidden to police U.S. civilians. I'm not certain whether that's still true today but it's a curious piece of trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Were you actually there for the once a year Friday event that is "Jobbie Nooner" or just another weekend day on Gull Island or Muscamoot? I've been going to Jobbie Nooner on and off for a long time, and it's never really been what I would consider "family friendly". Most other days of the year Gull Island is just as you described with lots of families and kids swimming.
    +1 on that... "devolved"? More like "aspired to be from its inception".

Thousands of boats descended upon Gull Island in Lake St. Clair, Friday, June 27, 2014, for the annual Jobbie Nooner event, where boats, booze and bathing suits were the stars.
    ... from the freep's Entertainment section slide show of doughy midwesterners drinking beer and standing in knee deep water.

From The Detroit News:
    Gull Island is drawing Friday its annual migration of thousands of party animals for Jobbie Nooner and police said the annual event was progressing with only minor incidents Friday afternoon.

St. Clair County is the host community for the boating event Sheriff Tim Donnellon says is attended by about 10,000 annually. This year is no exception, he said.

“It’s a large crowd this year, the weather has cooperated,” said Donnellon, who spent part of the day patrolling the island. “It’s business as usual here.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz36EcaMejo

vs. this from DPD

DETROIT [[WWJ) – June 23,2014- Police plan a strong presence during the Ford fireworks in Detroit after large crowds during Detroit River Days and weekend reports of teens fighting.
    A video showing what appeared to be several teens involved in an all-out brawl during the Detroit River Days surfaced and raised concerns about safety for those attending the fireworks downtown Monday night.
    In fact, a “human blockade” by fans of Detroit rapper Trick Trick caused rival rapper Rick Ross not to take the River Days stage as planned. The Right Productions, which manages and operates entertainment events at Chene Park, released a statement saying Ross couldn’t get to the stage because it was blocked by 100-150 people, and “conditions were becoming threatening and posed a security risk.”
    In addition, there have been some online rumblings about planned shootings and gang members engaging in the so-called “knockout game” at the Ford Fireworks.
    “This is nothing new to us,” Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody told WWJ’s Vickie Thomas. “We’ve seen these types of chatter and so forth on the Internet and through different…investigations throughout the years we’ve seen these types of things happen.”
    “This whole knockout game nonsense is, again, nothing new to the city of Detroit or to us,” Woody added. “But what I can tell you is that we have been monitoring it, we are aware if it, and we’re just cautioning people…If you’re gonna come down to enjoy the fireworks, please know that we’re doing everything we can to make that you’re going to be safe.
    clearly apples to apples. any differentiation between these groups is racist code-speak.
    Last edited by bailey; July-01-14 at 11:26 AM.

Jobbie Nooner isn't without violence, but it's mostly limited to a few drunken idiots that rarely connect a punch. Never have I heard or seen a threat of weapons or serious violence out there, and to be honest I doubt the crowd would tolerate it.

... from the freep's Entertainment section slide show of doughy midwesterners drinking beer and standing in knee deep water.

From The Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz36EcaMejo

vs. this from DPD

clearly apples to apples. any differentiation between these groups is racist code-speak.
    Yeah, Nolan Finley definitely wasn't grasping at straws to try and prove that the rowdy inner city youth who torture him and ruin his experience of Downtown Detroit when he used the rap concert incident as an example. You look at that incident and no one was injured or arrested and the peace was not disturbed. In addition, the "reports of the knock out / murder random people game" are strictly news media trying to feed off of known fear around the fireworks. I know it's hype, but that hype gets people wound up and that's how you end up with stampeding crowds.

I know it's totally beyond comprehension for some people, but Nolan Finley is criticizing what he declares to be "rowdy, out of control behavior" yet only applying it to one specific group. While it may affect him directly when an "urban youth" looks at him funny or yells because teenager crap, we're paying for the cleanup and patrols of other peoples irresponsible behavior. Both cases are examples of behavior which we should be critical of. Now if Jobbie Nooner didn't leave a 6" thick layer of trash, multiple injuries and heightened police staffing in its wake, I wouldn't be hear backing Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Codespeak:

Black people: Rowdy
    White people: Blowing off steam
    Get back to me when the jobbie nooners start playing the Knock-Out Game, overturning tables and throwing chairs @ Lafayette Coney Island, or 5 jobbie-nooners helplessly punch and kick one Gay guy, will you?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-01-14 at 01:22 PM.

Also has Nolan Finley, noted angry-about-rowdy writer man, ever written a piece on the way that fans behave for Opening Day, or the aftermath left by it? How about the "rowdiness" at Movement? He's obviously targeting a specific group here and neglecting to acknowledge that others in the area are guilty of equally questionable behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Thank you, yes it was Jobbie nooner. I so soooo love being called a liar on this board. Happens with all the trolls. Sorry I have had a rich life with many experiences. As we aged we just like to porch sit now, even at that, we still meet great and interesting people. You wouldn't know that you are out getting drunk at Gull Island. Doubt you even know it is an Indian Reservation.

But never ever think we didn't have great experiences and lived life more fully than many on this board.

Thank you, yes it was Jobbie nooner. I so soooo love being called a liar on this board. Happens with all the trolls. Sorry I have had a rich life with many experiences. As we aged we just like to porch sit now, even at that, we still meet great and interesting people. You wouldn't know that you are out getting drunk at Gull Island. Doubt you even know it is an Indian Reservation.But never ever think we didn't have great experiences and lived life more fully than many on this board.
    First of all, I never called you a liar. I questioned whether it was Jobbie Nooner because I have been going on and off for over 20 years and in that time it's always been a big drunken party. I guess back in the 1980's or early 90's it may have been different, but again I NEVER called you a liar. I will however say you may have been misinformed. Gull Island is not part of an indian reservation. It's mostly just a pile of dredging waste that was left over when the Army Corp of Engineers cleared the shipping channels. You may be confusing the island with some of the others on the Canadian side of the border.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-01-14 at 04:17 PM.

Belle Isle is meant to be enjoyed by all and is easily accessible by car.

The Jobbie Nooner is a place that you can only get to by boat, and people only go there to get sloshed. There's no reason to go there otherwise that I'm aware of.

I get it, but it's different. They're still tying up police resources, which sucks, but they're not preventing other people from enjoying or using a public resource.

Thank you, yes it was Jobbie nooner. I so soooo love being called a liar on this board. Happens with all the trolls. Sorry I have had a rich life with many experiences. As we aged we just like to porch sit now, even at that, we still meet great and interesting people. You wouldn't know that you are out getting drunk at Gull Island. Doubt you even know it is an Indian Reservation.

But never ever think we didn't have great experiences and lived life more fully than many on this board.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Walpole island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpole...Reserve_No._46

Why is it that anyone that corrects you or disagrees with you, you automatically label a troll, and you become abusive? Are you that insecure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast