Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Protesters for 'affordability plan' rally against Detroit water shut-offs

“These are my fellow human beings,” Session said. “If they threatened to cut off water to an animal shelter, you would see thousands of people out here. It’s senseless ... They just treat people like their lives mean nothing here in Detroit, and I’m tired of it.”

I wonder if the animals actually had a choice, would they pick to live in a shelter or choose to run free? I wonder if Ficano thought "Gee, maybe I shouldn't piss away $400 mil, maybe I could do more good with it in other ways.

Apparently these protestors are unaware that low-income water customers already pay far less through a state subsidized program?

And I'd like to see the % of non-payers who have vehicles, cable TV, fancy appliances, etc. I would not be surprised, at all, if the non-payers were not the poorest Detroiters [[who, again, are subsidized, through the state) but just regular deadbeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Apparently these protestors are unaware that low-income water customers already pay far less through a state subsidized program?

And I'd like to see the % of non-payers who have vehicles, cable TV, fancy appliances, etc. I would not be surprised, at all, if the non-payers were not the poorest Detroiters [[who, again, are subsidized, through the state) but just regular deadbeats.
    I bet if you cut off cable to an animal shelter thousands of people would show up to protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

ACtually, I wouldn't be surprised if these "regular deadbeats" are suburban landlords...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ACtually, I wouldn't be surprised if these "regular deadbeats" are suburban landlords...
    GOOD call.

I find it amusing when protesters protest protesting.

"The Census ACS 1-year survey reports that [[for 2012)... Detroit median household income is $3,451 higher [[at $50,310) than the median Michigan household "income"
    - http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/michigan/detroit/

In 2010, Wayne County had the 34th highest county income of 88 Michigan counties. Detroit's per capita income was $14,717 compared with a bunch of northern Michigan towns with $10-11,000 income. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga..._capita_income

Sure, everyone has a right to water but why are half the people in Detroit not paying their bills while resident of poorer parts of Michigan are not headed to the UN for redress? It might be difficult to explain to Uppers that they are expected to pay higher taxes to buy water for richer people in Detroit. A middle road might be to have water bills paid through welfare offices but make sure that anyone who can't pay for water isn't driving an expensive car or paying for cable and other amenities that aren't necessities.