Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Benson asleep at the wheel

"Detroit City Councilman Scott Benson was arrested Sunday by police in Southfield.

Benson was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, according to published reports.

The city councilman was still in police custody on Monday morning, ABC's Detroit affiliate WXYZ-TV reporter."

http://www.wjr.com/common/more.php?m=58&ts=1404136699&article=8D8363B7005F11 E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

Drinking and driving? This is a serious situation. Everyone in city government should've learned their lesson after Mr. Kush. Why is it so hard for people to call a cab!?!

Same old same old for Detroit. Not much changed yet, Duggan is asleep at the wheel if he doesn't act on this ASAP.

Here's a bit more about it, but not much.....

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...-in-southfield

Asleep at the wheel of a City of Detroit owned automobile?

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Hmmmmmmm... Catchy first line for a song.

Same as it ever was.

Same old same old for Detroit. Not much changed yet, Duggan is asleep at the wheel if he doesn't act on this ASAP.
    You mean same old metro Detroit, right? How many chances did L. Brooks Patterson get? At the time, the Oakland County sheriffs had said, "The guy’s hit three, four curbs now," and, "He’s taking off like crazy, cutting in between everybody." Guess those cops were asleep at the wheel, not administering a breathalyzer test. [[wink-wink) And I suppose Patterson should have been chased out of office long ago.

Which is not to say that two wrongs make a right, right?

But I find it very interesting that people are calling for a man's head when they [[a) don't know the facts of the case, [[b) the man hasn't had his day in court, [[c) and another, much more prominent politician has had frequent instances of driving in various states of intoxication and he's considered a county hero.

Sounds to me like his driving isn't the issue here ...

He will get his day in court and we shall see. Up in Flintown a city councilman was found at around 3:00am, drunk as a skunk, on the shoulder of 4-75 heading the wrong way while trying to fix one of his FOUR flat tires. Weed in the car, incoherent and refused breath test. Arrested with multiple counts. Took it to court, represented himself and found innocent of all but impaired driving.
    Local juries can work wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You mean same old metro Detroit, right? How many chances did L. Brooks Patterson get? At the time, the Oakland County sheriffs had said, "The guy’s hit three, four curbs now," and, "He’s taking off like crazy, cutting in between everybody." Guess those cops were asleep at the wheel, not administering a breathalyzer test. [[wink-wink) And I suppose Patterson should have been chased out of office long ago.
    Who are we talking about in this particular forum? Not Patterson. Incidentally, he's [[Patterson) not my idea of a pilar of society either, but at least he has taken Oakland County down the right road, in spite of his drunk episodes. Every time I turn around there's something going on in Detroit that certainly makes people lose confidence in their "leaders".

And what exactly is Duggan supposed to do when he "awakens"?? This is NOT his responsibility, and also it didn't happen in his jurisdiction. Also... he's not empowered by the City Charter to DO anything if the City Council members misbehave...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And what exactly is Duggan supposed to do when he "awakens"?? This is NOT his responsibility, and also it didn't happen in his jurisdiction. Also... he's not empowered by the City Charter to DO anything if the City Council members misbehave...
    Then Orr should take action since he's in charge now. Someone, anyone, should address Cushingberry and Benson. But, unless the people demand action, I guess not much will be done...this is all accepted behavior from politicians throughout "metro Detroit".

Who are we talking about in this particular forum? Not Patterson. Incidentally, he's [[Patterson) not my idea of a pilar of society either, but at least he has taken Oakland County down the right road, in spite of his drunk episodes. Every time I turn around there's something going on in Detroit that certainly makes people lose confidence in their "leaders".
    I thought we were talking about officials driving drunk, and how we should call for their head when they do it.

Apparently, though, this is just another beat-down session for Detroit. Yawn ... next ...

I thought we were talking about officials driving drunk, and how we should call for their head when they do it.

Apparently, though, this is just another beat-down session for Detroit. Yawn ... next ...
    You know the moving goalpost approach. It applies to pretty much everything in the city with people like cla.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    You know the moving goalpost approach. It applies to pretty much everything in the city with people like cla.
    Ah jt....I've missed your barbs, thought maybe you were pointing them at someone else for a change but your attraction for me is understandable.

And you'll be missing part of your pension check in the not too distant future. Is that better?

What's bad for the goose is bad for the gander, yes? A fiery denunciation of drunk-driving officials occasion to call for a lynching? OK. Seems odd that Brooksie is immune from that diatribe.

But do go on. Please call for the man's head before his day in court and absent any testimony or evidence. Fair's fair, right?

Ah jt....I've missed your barbs, thought maybe you were pointing them at someone else for a change but your attraction for me is understandable.
    As is your repetition. To be honest, I have pointed out the suburban moving goalposts to many people here however sometimes I wish I could clawback my posts.

What's bad for the goose is bad for the gander, yes? A fiery denunciation of drunk-driving officials occasion to call for a lynching? OK. Seems odd that Brooksie is immune from that diatribe.

But do go on. Please call for the man's head before his day in court and absent any testimony or evidence. Fair's fair, right?
    Perhaps it has nothing to do with the city/suburb debate. Perhaps it is a matter of 'culture' so driving after drinking wine and taking OTC drugs is acceptable since that clearly indicates a more refined sense of substance abuse.

Council members continue to prove themselves unreliable. If city council had a probation officer it would have been thrown in jail long ago.
    Its the kids table.

should have known better than to fuck around in the suburbs.
    Wonder if he woke up and said "Do You Know Who the Fuck I Am?"

And you'll be missing part of your pension check in the not too distant future. Is that better?
    Yes, you are right about that jt, and you take great pleasure in saying that don't you?

I wonder if during my years of running into fires to search for victims, I may have done some good for you or your family? Or maybe you were the one who ran past me with the flames licking your behind while your kids were still asleep. No, maybe you were the one shooting at me and my brothers when we were fighting a fire that left children without a home. Hummm, I wonder if you were the one practically licking my boots with gratitude when I gave your dog mouth to mouth...we'll never know the answers to those questions will we jt.

I never expected thank yous for doing the job I loved, the only thing I expected was for Detroit to live up to its end of the bargain it struck up with me and thousands of others who worked as firefighters, police officers, and DPW sanitation workers. Gloat all you want jt, it doesn't phase me in the least...I know what I did for Detroit...what have you done?

Channel 7 did a bit on it. If he pulled over and decided to sleep it off, I'd say he did well. Too many people don't do that.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...-in-southfield

Yes, you are right about that jt, and you take great pleasure in saying that don't you?

I wonder if during my years of running into fires to search for victims, I may have done some good for you or your family? Or maybe you were the one who ran past me with the flames licking your behind while your kids were still asleep. No, maybe you were the one shooting at me and my brothers when we were fighting a fire that left children without a home. Hummm, I wonder if you were the one practically licking my boots with gratitude when I gave your dog mouth to mouth...we'll never know the answers to those questions will we jt.

I never expected thank yous for doing the job I loved, the only thing I expected was for Detroit to live up to its end of the bargain it struck up with me and thousands of others who worked as firefighters, police officers, and DPW sanitation workers. Gloat all you want jt, it doesn't phase me in the least...I know what I did for Detroit...what have you done?
    Kudos on being a Firefighter. Thanks for your service. I know of what you are talking about though I never had shots fired at me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast