Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Understanding Detroit

I know I post too much. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Certainly Detroit is not for many people. The challenge is too great. I know it, I live it. The rewards are great too.

Our minister had a shaggy dog story as part of his sermon. Trust in God, Believe in Prayer. Good sermon. Kind of describes Detroit.

The story: A woman has a very sick child and she goes to a pharmacy. She locks her keys in the car. She prays, help me Lord. A bearded shaggy dude shows up on a motorcycle. He helps her. He breaks into her car in a minute or so. She hugs and kisses him, tells him what a great man he is. He says no ma'am I am a bad guy. I just got out of jail for car theft. She hugs and kisses him again saying thank you Lord for sending a professional.

That is kind of Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I know I post too much. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Certainly Detroit is not for many people. The challenge is too great. I know it, I live it. The rewards are great too.

Our minister had a shaggy dog story as part of his sermon. Trust in God, Believe in Prayer. Good sermon. Kind of describes Detroit.

The story: A woman has a very sick child and she goes to a pharmacy. She locks her keys in the car. She prays, help me Lord. A bearded shaggy dude shows up on a motorcycle. He helps her. He breaks into her car in a minute or so. She hugs and kisses him, tells him what a great man he is. He says no ma'am I am a bad guy. I just got out of jail for car theft. She hugs and kisses him again saying thank you Lord for sending a professional

That is kind of Detroit
    LMAO! Cute story.

I never text so am clueless as to LMAO. It is a cute story. It does represent however the oddball dynamics of Detroit. Sometimes the bad guys are the good guys and the "good" guys ie: politicians are really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I never text so am clueless as to LMAO.
    LMAO means Laughing My Ass Off. Take the first letter of each word.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by FlyOnTheWall; June-29-14 at 11:33 PM.

Somewhat out of context, but I hope that one of these days,LOL, goes the way of the 8 track tape. Really, it's like a really bad radio commercial that won't go away. JMO, IYFKWIM.

That's the end of the story? he didn't steal her car?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Just her purse.

Sumas,

Keep posting your story made my morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    No, because in this version of the story drugs are legalized so he didn't owe a dealer nor was he fiending for a hit. Just kidding, somebody had to.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Sumas,

Keep posting your story made my morning.
    Plus +1 thumbs up

I am reminded of a co-worker back in my truck driving days who bought Corvette he couldn't afford. My street savvy delivery partner and I pull into dock on a late evening and find him in the parking lot with his keys locked inside and locksmith trying futilely to get in. My partner keeps saying 'lemme try' but the locksmith dismisses him with condescending smiles.

After another twenty minutes, while they take a break, they give him a shot. He takes the coat hanger makes a couple of adjustments, slides it through the driver's side window across to the other door [it had a rotary lock on the side of the door] and pops it open in under ten seconds.

Pride falls to talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Plus +1 thumbs up
    You really need to implement the like button.

Only once did I ever lock my keys in the car. Strangely I was at a dry cleaners. They gave me a hanger and I did break into it. That was 1975 and the car [[my first new one) was a 1973 Plymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    ... I hope that one of these days,LOL, goes the way of the 8 track tape....
    I first learned of the shorthand "LOL" while being rebuked for wasting bandwidth. My sin was to repeatedly type "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" instead. That may sound ridiculous now but back then some folks were still using teletypewriters.

I am not kidding. To them it was truly annoying.
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-30-14 at 08:11 PM.