Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is the percentage of convicted or ex-felon in Detroit City proper?

I am very curious to know the following; out of the 688,701 population of persons that occupied Detroit City Proper in 2013; what is the percentage of that 688,701 2013 population are either a convicted felon or ex-felon?

Thank you for your response.

Convicted? .....

NO! Never Convicted!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnHi7KOxCA

Why don't you do your own research for your paper? Quoting a forum is not exactly a hard fact.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Convicted? .....

NO! Never Convicted!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnHi7KOxCA

Why don't you do your own research for your paper? Quoting a forum is not exactly a hard fact.
    I'll start... 10%

Yes COnVICTED FELONS = person who are considered residents of Detroit but are serving a sentence for committing a felony or felonies, and those who are out free walking about Detroit and are consider residents of Detroit that hold on a criminal record or have committed a felony in their past, thus ex-felon[[s)
    I am way past doing papers for any schools; mine question as stated was out of sheer curiosity as so stated; read and learn what my actual question was. I was part of the great white flight in Jan. 73 and never looked back; but what I read, I am sure glad I left; and before you flip out and start calling me names like whitey or such, I am not white.
    I researched and have come up with so many different numbers, that I thought to turn to those who I thought would know for sure what the percentages in Detroit for an accurate answer for sure.
    I guess you DetroitrPlanner are one of the DF that have no idea for an answer to my question, whereas, at least Dan Wesson through out there a guess...10%. He got the question which places him your superior in question comprehension. Two thumbs up Dan Wesson

Considering I have no idea what a DF is, I am pretty sure I am not one. Your history of posts can easily be seen as painting you as a person who refuses to use tools like google. I am sure the answer is out there, don't be afaid to do a bit of work to find it.

For what it is worth convicted felons are always undercounted in the census as they have a distrust of the government.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-29-14 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx2 View Post
    Yes COnVICTED FELONS = person who are considered residents of Detroit but are serving a sentence for committing a felony or felonies, and those who are out free walking about Detroit and are consider residents of Detroit that hold on a criminal record or have committed a felony in their past, thus ex-felon[[s)
    I am way past doing papers for any schools; mine question as stated was out of sheer curiosity as so stated; read and learn what my actual question was. I was part of the great white flight in Jan. 73 and never looked back; but what I read, I am sure glad I left; and before you flip out and start calling me names like whitey or such, I am not white.
    I researched and have come up with so many different numbers, that I thought to turn to those who I thought would know for sure what the percentages in Detroit for an accurate answer for sure.
    I guess you DetroitrPlanner are one of the DF that have no idea for an answer to my question, whereas, at least Dan Wesson through out there a guess...10%. He got the question which places him your superior in question comprehension. Two thumbs up Dan Wesson
    I don't think anyone has any doubts that you are way past doing papers for any school after reading this.

dubeeya dubeeya dubeeya dot fellonknee crime stats up in da D dot com. good luck with your research

It's very high. Almost 90% have or will be convicted. Very similar to Australia back in the day.

time to lace up your boots and start knocking on doors.
    "Excuse me good sir. Are you a felon?" should go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    time to lace up your boots and start knocking on doors.
    "Excuse me good sir. Are you a felon?" should go over well.
    That sounds a lot more exciting than a Google search!
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; June-30-14 at 01:47 PM.

2nd thought. Forget the boots and lace up your running shoes instead

Transitioning people- particularly young, black men- from jail to productive citizen is one of the great sociological challenges our city faces. I have known people who have "gone straight" and have become good husbands and fathers, churchgoers with jobs. But there are many obstacles thrown in their way, even after having served their time. I think the prison system needs to focus young men on finishing their education, teaching them basic life skills [[how to manage a bank account, take care of the house, cook, etc), and keeping them dialed into their family and community, even while in prison. Then they would have both motivation and means to turn their life around. And there should be follow-up support, complete with a carrot-and-stick approach, offering practical help and tough follow through [[drug testing, for one thing). Keeping kids from committing crimes is one thing; but once someone has [[unless they are sentenced to life in prison), they will be reentering society at some point. Better management of the post-prison system will need to occur before neighborhoods outside of the flourishing core of Detroit turn around.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; June-30-14 at 11:48 PM.

OK, the numbers I found round off to 78% of the current population of Detroit are either convicted felony convicts serving time or parole or probation, or are free but are ex felony convicts holding criminal records of multiple felony convictions or conviction.
    Just thought those on this forum would have exact info, but I was wrong.
    And again, no research, just plain curiosity.
    Where I live, the police carry Colt AR-15 [M-16] in their squad cars and when crap goes down, out comes the M-16's....and I live in a diverse populated area, though higher whitey percentages though.....really low crime rate; the only bang you here is firecrackers.
    But thanks for the answers.

OK, the numbers I found round off to 78% of the current population of Detroit are either convicted felony convicts serving time or parole or probation, or are free but are ex felony convicts holding criminal records of multiple felony convictions or conviction.
    Common sense dictates that 78% is unrealistically high, and a brief look at any data bears that out.

In 2010, 13.9% of the population of Detroit was nine years old or younger. Another 7.4% were between ten years old and fourteen years old. While there may be some felons under 14, it is safe to say that hardly any of this 21.3% segment of the population is a felon. For your estimate to be correct, virtually everyone over the age of 14 would have to be a felon, which is obviously not so.

Crazy estimates like yours contribute to the perception that Detroit is full of felons who will rip you off the moment you step foot into the city. The vast majority of residents of Detroit are law-abiding people. At least as of 2010, Michigan only prohibited imprisoned felons from voting, and according to the Sentencing Project, there were about 45,000 imprisoned felons in Michigan. I do not know what percentage of those 45,000 were from Detroit, but I am sure a significant number are from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Common sense dictates that 78% is unrealistically high, and a brief look at any data bears that out.

In 2010, 13.9% of the population of Detroit was nine years old or younger. Another 7.4% were between ten years old and fourteen years old. While there may be some felons under 14, it is safe to say that hardly any of this 21.3% segment of the population is a felon. For your estimate to be correct, virtually everyone over the age of 14 would have to be a felon, which is obviously not so.

Crazy estimates like yours contribute to the perception that Detroit is full of felons who will rip you off the moment you step foot into the city. The vast majority of residents of Detroit are law-abiding people. At least as of 2010, Michigan only prohibited imprisoned felons from voting, and according to the Sentencing Project, there were about 45,000 imprisoned felons in Michigan. I do not know what percentage of those 45,000 were from Detroit, but I am sure a significant number are from elsewhere.
    The vast majority may be law-abiding, but crime statistics in Detroit do tell us that the perception is accurate enough to be actionable. If you want to be safe, avoid many areas of Detroit -- and work towards the long-term goal of a stable city by any means necessary.

Denial or shrugging off of Detroit's crime problem does not help the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Denial or shrugging off of Detroit's crime problem does not help the City.
    In fact it hurts the city greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The vast majority may be law-abiding, but crime statistics in Detroit do tell us that the perception is accurate enough to be actionable. If you want to be safe, avoid many areas of Detroit -- and work towards the long-term goal of a stable city by any means necessary. Denial or shrugging off of Detroit's crime problem does not help the City.
    I did not present the statistics in an effort to deny the city's crime problem. In fact, I believe that the crime problem is one of the most significant problems the city faces. Crime a huge factor holding back progress. That said, nowhere near 78% of the population consists of felons, and the original poster's claim is equally bad in the other direction.

OK, the numbers I found round off to 78% of the current population of Detroit are either convicted felony convicts serving time or parole or probation, or are free but are ex felony convicts holding criminal records of multiple felony convictions or conviction...
    I tried so hard to ignore this, but I guess my BS tolerance is annoyingly low today. Please, oh, please enlighten the DYes community as to the source that informed you approximately 78% of the entire current population of Detroit consists of convicted felons.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I tried so hard to ignore this, but I guess my BS tolerance is annoyingly low today. Please, oh, please enlighten the DYes community as to the source that informed you approximately 78% of the entire current population of Detroit consists of convicted felons.
    I'm with mam2009. Links or your full of BS.

That 78% number would many every adult in Detroit was a felon, and quite a few of the kids too.

Some folks just have to use your brain before peddling your divisive agenda.
    Last edited by Scottathew; July-07-14 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I am so with you Mam although I find highjinx2 post hilarious. It is so stupid it can't be divisive. No one questions that crime is an issue but to call most Detroiters criminals is on beyond dumb.

Maybe my 87 year old neighbor who fostered numerous kids, or the ordained minister across the street or his wife who works for a non profit or MS S a retired social worker or maybe Mr L a security guard or Miss Grace a senior, how about our retired science teacher, I think you get the drift.

My husband did get a moving violation, the first in 35 yrs, must be a criminal.

Golly I am so having so much fun with this. We have the guy, Mr D, who works with kids to get them bikes and conducts safe bike tours to keep our kids healthy. Miss D reads to kids in the summer, Miss J gives free hair cuts to kids going back to school [[she has her own hair salon). The list of Detroit upstanding citizens could go on in my area alone for pages.

We have in an eight block radius one felon I know of. He did his time and now works with area kids at risk. Yep we are all criminals.