Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "No Fly Zone"...? or same old Detroit Pay to Play?

The cancellation of Rick Ross’ performance at Chene Park last weekend has thrust the city and the hip-hop rules of a “No Fly Zone” into the national spotlight.
    Until the June 21 incident, few outside the city’s hip-hop community knew about the so-called “No Fly Zone,” making Detroit an area where artists are not permitted to perform without including members of the local hip-hop scene.
    Upset with how national artists have come into Detroit, made six-figure checks and left town, local rap artist Trick Trick has led the charge for several years.
    The issue has taken center stage primarily because Miami rapper Ross is the most high-profile artist involved. But hip-hop observers and concert promoters said the “No Fly Zone” simply sends the wrong message for a city that’s already plagued by a negative perception of a municipal bankruptcy and the aftermath of the Kwame Kilpatrick corruption scandal.
    “We shouldn’t even be having a discussion on who can come here or who cannot come here,” said David Rudolph, a spokesman for the Right Productions, which operates Chene Park.
    “We all have issues about making sure Detroiters are getting a piece of the pie. We all should be having a seat at the table. But there’s a way to ask and demand that seat and you earn that. You don’t do that through an intimidating or corrosive nature. It doesn’t help the city. A lot of folks in this town are working hard to improve the image of Detroit and making it a welcoming place for all.”

Face it folks, Hip Hop is dying! MTV kick it out, VH1 stomp it out and Emimem, took it someplace place esle. A 'No Fly Zone' in Chene Park! How rediculous is that. It seems to me that Detroit is Motown and not hip hop town. It's a conspiracy to keep other outside music other than Motown Music out of city.

Back in the 1950s parents and church groups were fight tooth and nail to keep Rock n' Roll out of their culture. But kids fought it and won. Let's do the same for Detroit. Hip Hop is here to stay.

U adv
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The cancellation of Rick Ross’ performance at Chene Park last weekend has thrust the city and the hip-hop rules of a “No Fly Zone” into the national spotlight.
    Until the June 21 incident, few outside the city’s hip-hop community knew about the so-called “No Fly Zone,” making Detroit an area where artists are not permitted to perform without including members of the local hip-hop scene.
    Upset with how national artists have come into Detroit, made six-figure checks and left town, local rap artist Trick Trick has led the charge for several years.
    The issue has taken center stage primarily because Miami rapper Ross is the most high-profile artist involved. But hip-hop observers and concert promoters said the “No Fly Zone” simply sends the wrong message for a city that’s already plagued by a negative perception of a municipal bankruptcy and the aftermath of the Kwame Kilpatrick corruption scandal.
    “We shouldn’t even be having a discussion on who can come here or who cannot come here,” said David Rudolph, a spokesman for the Right Productions, which operates Chene Park.
    “We all have issues about making sure Detroiters are getting a piece of the pie. We all should be having a seat at the table. But there’s a way to ask and demand that seat and you earn that. You don’t do that through an intimidating or corrosive nature. It doesn’t help the city. A lot of folks in this town are working hard to improve the image of Detroit and making it a welcoming place for all.”
    I swear, this City's becoming more 3rd World daily. Now thugs are dictating who gets to perform and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    U adv

I swear, this City's becoming more 3rd World daily. Now thugs are dictating who gets to perform and who doesn't.
    Can those thugs be Dan Gilbert's boys who work for someone in higher office?

I had heard of this atrocity and was amazed. My question was after hearing it is where were to police during this illegal blockade? The paddy wagon should had been ordered to round up the so called 100 thugs that had blocked the entrance. How could one person, a local rapper or thug, dictate who should come into the city where he doesn't probably pay any more taxes than you and I pay. I had said in another blog that there is a movement to "buy Detroit" or Made in Michigan" or Imported from Detroit. This movement at times had shut out national brands of chains from opening or doing business in the city. I know that we have a couple of national chain stores in Detroit such as Footlocker and a few restaurants. I would not be surprise if this Trick guy has some type of backing who are the Made in Michigan, Buy Detroit groups. Out of curiosity I had went on this guy's youtube video. He want other rappers to pay homage to him if they come to perform in this city. He wants also for national rappers to put local rappers on the national rapper's labels. This is a way to shut out anything national or international from coming into this city. I am not a fan of this rap music of this day. I do believe that anyone should have the right to perform in this city when invited. What this Trick guy is doing is third world strong arming. I would not be surprise if some corporate entity or group is behind this man to shut out anything national or make it hard for national or international afro American musicians from performing in the D. He had never tried that at Comerica Park with Kid Rock. This guy only harass on his own kind

GUSHI Guest

Lat time I checked kid rock has a house in detroit, and is from Michigan.

Rick Ross is garbage. I think Trick Trick did everyone a solid.

The 'No Fly Zone' means different things depending on the artist. He gave Rick Ross a hard time for several reasons: First is that Rick Ross is fraudulent. A former correctional officer that now has adopted a gangster lifestyle moving kilos of cocaine. Even his name is fraudulent taken from a real drug dealer. Second, he commands a huge six figure paycheck for his performances. Trick Trick feels as though he shouldn't come to the D, make his money then leave without 'socializing' with the locals. He therefore holds him to a higher standard and would likely demand monetary compensation from him. Many other acts have come to the city and have had no problems.

As far as pay to play comparisons, apples and oranges. This guy is no public official. But he is the leader of a movement and a force to be reckoned with in the Detroit hip hop scene, hate him or love him.

I'll be catching hell for this, but my suggestion:
    Book music. Leave hip hop behind.
    Cranky old man post of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    He therefore holds him to a higher standard and would likely demand monetary compensation from him.
    In the far-off land where I grew up, we called this "extortion." But I guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    In the far-off land where I grew up, we called this "extortion." But I guess I'm just old-fashioned.
    I agree. "A force to be reckoned with". If people want to pay money to hear this guy, phony "gangstah" or not, that's their choice. If Mr. Trick Trick wants a piece of the pie, he should develop a name and an act for himself.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-29-14 at 08:23 PM.

Grew up on the east side. I remember when folks we called "The Mafia" would "request" a stipend from many of the business owners on Gratiot. Yes, there were once many thriving businesses, up and down that street.
    Nobody called it a "no fly zone".

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Oh yeah it's definitely extortion. But it wouldn't be the first time Officer Rickey has been extorted. The Gangster Disciples demanded he pay them a fee wherever he toured due to use of Larry Hoovers name and the six-point star.

But Trick Trick brought up two interesting points. He has the constitutional right to peaceably assemble. And if he extorted him, why hasn't he been arrested?

Oh yeah it's definitely extortion. But it wouldn't be the first time Officer Rickey has been extorted. The Gangster Disciples demanded he pay them a fee wherever he toured due to use of Larry Hoovers name and the six-point star.

But Trick Trick brought up two interesting points. He has the constitutional right to peaceably assemble. And if he extorted him, why hasn't he been arrested?
    Did Officer Rickey file an official complaint? My guess is it'll be handled gangstah style.

But Trick Trick brought up two interesting points. He has the constitutional right to peaceably assemble.
    from the article - "Ross refused to take the stage at Chene Park last Saturday after he received threats and was confronted by a human blockade of more than 100 people. The blockage, which occurred outside of the Atwater Street venue, was orchestrated by Trick Trick... The protest ended peacefully, but about 3,000 people left without seeing Ross, the headline act".

Personally, I think that the right to peacefully assemble does not include having a "human blockade" preventing business as scheduled to take place. DPD should have moved the "blockade" across the street, and the 3000 people had a "right" to the show that they paid to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Grew up on the east side. I remember when folks we called "The Mafia" would "request" a stipend from many of the business owners on Gratiot. Yes, there were once many thriving businesses, up and down that street.
    Nobody called it a "no fly zone".
    "No fly zone" is a 1990s military term [[for a situation in the middle east) that has been adopted to fit this action. Businesses were long gone from Gratiot before anyone ever used "no fly zone" in any context.

The Darren Nichols article in the DetNews explored some of the broader issues. In part, it pointed out that for hip-hop in particular, often these events get promoted with little involvement for locally-based opening acts. That, and with the heavy consolidation in traditional radio-- and with nationally syndicated content [[Rickey Smiley, Tom Joyner, the Breakfast Club, Steve Harvey)-- the window for local artists to get spins has been severely narrow for years, now. In some sense, songs would have to become viral videos on the YouTubes and so forth before FM98 or related stations would touch it.
    Trick Trick has a new single out, so I'm sure that's part of the scenario. But beneath all the bluster and macho one-upsmanship, there's some legitimate concern.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-30-14 at 08:53 PM.

So, is the "concern" over Trick Trick not getting exposure [[inside the event versus curbside), or over his illegal blockade of legitimate business?
    Last edited by Vic01; June-30-14 at 11:06 PM.

There is never anything peaceable about taking someone else's rights away.