Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 'Magic Plus' Plan for Michigan State Fairgrounds?

The debate over use of the former Michigan State Fairgrounds continues.

18 months ago the public responded to the "Magic Plus LLC" plan for the fairgrounds with a demand for innovation instead of the proposed stale big box store shopping center. Residents called for a plan that would usher in Detroit's future city, and not be a fast track to the past.
    Public Event · Hosted by Frank Hammer and Barbara Barefield

Project Healthy Community
    Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers Rd, Detroit, Michigan 48
    Tomorrow at 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Facebook Event Page:
    'Magic Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CITY?

an STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CITY?Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CIT
    'Magic Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CI
    'Magic Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CITY?

I generally like the plan. I just hope that they have the resources lined up to complete it. A lot of multi-faceted large projects start with a seed and don't grow. It looks like a productive mix of uses. Hopefully it can get built in a reasonable time.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; June-25-14 at 07:11 PM.

The community needs to be brought in on the planning for this development. Just another plaza isn't that creative. There should be a community center, some adult education opportunities, and family recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The debate over use of the former Michigan State Fairgrounds continues.

Public Event · Hosted by Frank Hammer and Barbara Barefield

Project Healthy Community
    Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers Rd, Detroit, Michigan 48
    Tomorrow at 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Facebook Event Page:

an STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CITY?Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CIT
    'Magic Plus' Plan for Michigan STATE FAIRGROUNDS TO BE UNVEILED - FAST TRACK TO THE PAST OR DETROIT FUTURE CI
    Lowell, I think your post is a bit misleading. The land use concept you show is the META EXPO plan, which is NOT anywhere near the plan Magic Plus is proposing. I think many of us can agree that the META plan would be GREAT. However, don't be fooled [[Mikey) into thinking that Magic is supporting this concept and rest on your laurels, for you will be very disappointed when they put shovels in the ground.

Below was the Magic Plan I remembered from Curbed. It basically looks like an industrial park with various rectangular buildings surrounded by parking lots and a pond at the bottom right. All the current buildings were supposed to be demolished. Is Project Healthy Community affiliated with the COD's planning committee? Can they stop this development? In any case, I hope it can be stopped and replaced with the MetaExpo plan, but my cynicism based on what usually happens in this city tells me otherwise.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rounds-now.php

Last edited by davewindsor; June-26-14 at 05:22 PM.

Meta Expo is vastly superior

Meta Expo has always been the much better of the two plans. Unfortunately, money talks and bullsh%t walks. Magic & Co. have money, Meta Expo only has a plan. All that said, while the Magic plan is inferior, I'm actually not that mad at it since it's literally on the edge of the city. Were they trying plop this down in Midtown I'd be pissed.
    Last edited by Dexlin; June-26-14 at 11:08 PM.

Plan has been updated. It's better, though far from perfection.

https://twitter.com/DetroitGreenway/...33682441850880

Saw this recently about the Grant house:

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-road-trip.php

Why don't they make the retail look fake semi urban [[like village of Rochester Hills) to match the rest of the development.

The new plan is a big improvement. I'd like to see the academic buildings on the south end pushed to the street with parking in the back. I'd also like some of the residential parking to be a garage instead of surface lots.

Wonder why Greenfield Village wasn't interested in it?

Curbed has some bigger pictures.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...pment-plan.php

The residential portion looks pretty similar to Orleans Landing [[same developer) and the WCCCD buildings look pretty decent. Overall good for what it is but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wonder why Greenfield Village wasn't interested in it?
    They simply can't take all items. They have a pretty rigid set of conditions regarding cost, relevance to other exhibits, space, etc.

so, i feel like all of the other cities with developments are like the old guy with the dollar dangling from the fishing rod on the StateFarm insurance commercial and the girl reaching for the dollar is Detroit... and they're all saying: "you gotta be quicker than that" in the old mans voice...but in this case, it would be "you gotta do better than that"...

i will say, i am happy to see something there than nothing, i guess. again, where is the creativity!??!? wheres the walkability??... especially [[high hopes) when that m1 rail gets enough financing to make its way past this thing. i guess people in detroit don't like to walk for shit, huh... and the developers feed into that it seems. the "strip mall" and all of the parking spaces almost make me want to vomit lol. but, as i said... better something than nothing.

would love to see something like this. pipe dreams, i know. but would be great for the area and promote walkability throughout the area and even model/be motivation for future development in the area. Name:  midtownmiamiimage.jpg
Views: 3260
Size:  62.5 KB
    Last edited by Jayp213; March-19-15 at 02:43 PM.

Ah, yes.....the usual Detroit approach: let's get a focus group together and have them go over this plan we have, just to get some input as to what they really want. "How 'bout less frontage parking?" Okay. "How 'bout some greenspace?" Okay. "How bout some design that doesn't feel and look like an afterthought?"

Then the focus groups leaves, the developers' and city officials response is "that's cute," and they proceed with pretty much the same BS that features what is already vacant land being covered with 60% parking spaces, 15% green-space, big-box garbage, and saccharine architecture.

Same ole' bullshit. Way to go Magic. Then again, I'm still waiting to see his plans for Grand River - Greenfield.

Need a Nascar stock car & 1/4 drag strip at the site......back to the roots!

when will a final plan be established?

Also who comes up with these shitty street names? Motor City Avenue? Great Lakes Blvd? Amusement Ave? Blue Ribbon Blvd? Hell, subdivisions in Troy and Bloomfield Hills have better names this! This isn't Disneyland!

K.I.S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Also who comes up with these shitty street names? Motor City Avenue? Great Lakes Blvd? Amusement Ave? Blue Ribbon Blvd? Hell, subdivisions in Troy and Bloomfield Hills have better names this! This isn't Disneyland!

K.I.S.S.
    Aren't those street names that were already there from the Fairgrounds? I'm pretty sure Great Lakes Blvd and Blue Ribbon Blvd were State Fair streetnames. I don't remember the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Aren't those street names that were already there from the Fairgrounds? I'm pretty sure Great Lakes Blvd and Blue Ribbon Blvd were State Fair streetnames. I don't remember the other two.
    lol... yes those were state fair street names choosen by the last GM. Another one was Spartan St., Motor City Ave.

more idea to get people to live within the "mall."

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Haha really?! I only went to the State Fair a couple times, including the last one, but I don't remember.

However my complaint still stands and those kinds of names belong at a state fair ground or amusement park, not a development trying to be a neighborhood. It sounds cheap and phony.

Use Remington, Winchester, Colton, or Alameda even if they don't line up.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; March-20-15 at 12:35 PM.

I had the same thought about those crappy street names when I looked at this yesterday. Maybe bad street names contributed to the fair's demise.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast