Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default USA vs Mighty Deutschland -- In Cadillac Square

For those following the World Cup there will be a public outdoor screening on a 9 X 12 projection of the USA-Germany match Thursday at noon. If USA draws or [unlikely] wins they advance. If they lose it is up in the air.

http://opportunitydetroit.com/blog/w...viewing-party/

This is pretty dang cool!

I think things like this should happen all the time.

A bit late to the party as this should have been available for the first two matches. Better late then never, though. Very cool.

Already know one of my friends who is going to check it out...and I will take a break at lunch and stop by as well. Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    A bit late to the party as this should have been available for the first two matches. Better late then never, though. Very cool.
    They were going to do it for the Portugal game on Sunday, but Gilbert backed out financially. Glad to see they're coming around. I'm not sure whether I'll go to this or stick with Thomas Magee's for Thursday's game. Either way, good to see, and the knockout stage game[[s) should be awesome if we make it through.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Already know one of my friends who is going to check it out...and I will take a break at lunch and stop by as well. Sounds great!
    Makes a lot of sense. Folks work at noon on Thursdays [[whereas they can easily watch at home or a watering hole on weekends, ala last Sunday).

Are downtown employers offering employees one hour of vacation time from 1 - 2 tomorrow for a 2-hour lunch/entertainment break?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They were going to do it for the Portugal game on Sunday, but Gilbert backed out financially.

Explain how Gilbert backed out financially......

Just got back...very good crowd, but the game kind of stunk with not much excitement [[but we moved on!). Hopefully they consider doing it again on Tuesday. Much appreciate it.

I remember watching the NBA Championship game between the Pistons and the Spurs on the big screen at Chene Park in 2005. Nice experience

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Explain how Gilbert backed out financially......
    A plan was in the works to have an event similar to today for the POR game Sunday. For one reason or another, Gilbert decided not to sponsor the event [[I believe the # was somewhere around $12k).

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    A plan was in the works to have an event similar to today for the POR game Sunday. For one reason or another, Gilbert decided not to sponsor the event [[I believe the # was somewhere around $12k).
    Makes sense, thanks for the info....

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Just got back...very good crowd, but the game kind of stunk with not much excitement [[but we moved on!). Hopefully they consider doing it again on Tuesday. Much appreciate it.
    Yeah, kind of the 'imperfect' storm: a strong German team + very hard rains/soft field + conservative game plans [[?) = not great game.

Quite frankly, U.S.A. was playing for a tie or a non-blowout loss solely to advance to the knockout round.

I lost track, but COULD U.S.A. been #1 seed in Group G if they beat Germany [[or was Germany a 'lock' regardless).

Tuesday's game is 'win or go home'. No ties allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Yeah, kind of the 'imperfect' storm: a strong German team + very hard rains/soft field + conservative game plans [[?) = not great game.

Quite frankly, U.S.A. was playing for a tie or a non-blowout loss solely to advance to the knockout round.

I lost track, but COULD U.S.A. been #1 seed in Group G if they beat Germany [[or was Germany a 'lock' regardless).

Tuesday's game is 'win or go home'. No ties allowed.
    If the US had won, the US would have had 7 points [[2 wins and a draw), and Germany would have had 4 [[1 win, 1 draw). So if the US had won, they would have won the group and would have had a much easier draw in the next game [[Algeria instead of Belgium). But they got through, which is the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Makes sense, thanks for the info....
    I should clarify that "backed out" probably wasn't the right words to use. I don't think there was a deal in place or anything, just that they were looking at Quicken to sponsor the event and that didn't happen. Regardless, I'm glad to see that they're doing it now.

I'll probably still go to Thomas Magee's, at least for the next game because the atmosphere is better. However, it was awesome to see the solid turnout for Thursday's afternoon game. They might need a second screen next week.

I went there and had a great time, wish they had done it for the Ghana and Portugal games.

Anyone know if they will do this again for the Belgium game? 4PM is a better time slot.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeland View Post
    I went there and had a great time, wish they had done it for the Ghana and Portugal games.

Anyone know if they will do this again for the Belgium game? 4PM is a better time slot.
    Yes, there will be a watch party for each US game remaining. I wonder if they'll make modifications as we advance though. Going to run out of room if we make it to the quarters, probably.