Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I begin to see why Walmart and Target had not opened a store in Detroit. They are probably not being allowed to open being that they are not Michigan based such as Meijer. Is there a movement in Michigan to push local stores only and shutting out national chains? Even the idiot thug rapper Trick baby or Trick Trick is shutting out national or international rappers from Detroit unless they recognize a local rapper and put him/her on their label. What an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I begin to see why Walmart and Target had not opened a store in Detroit. They are probably not being allowed to open being that they are not Michigan based such as Meijer. Is there a movement in Michigan to push local stores only and shutting out national chains? Even the idiot thug rapper Trick baby or Trick Trick is shutting out national or international rappers from Detroit unless they recognize a local rapper and put him/her on their label. What an idiot
    No.

According to that logic, there wouldn't be so many Walmart and Target stores across the rest of the state.

That said, Meijer opening stores in Detroit [[like with MooseJaw downtown) probably has a lot to do with them being in Michigan.

Caldor, JM Fields, Woolco, WT Grant, Ames, Zayre, Aldens, Masons all tried and failed to do what Walmart does [[and K-Mart is failing). Walmart must know something that those other guys didn't.

Dear lord. I make one passing reference about Meijer - and not even a political one, rather referencing that they can be less discerning in where they plop down a store because their sheer size allows them to absorb losses better than smaller big boxes - and the thread devolves into your tired political/ideological battles about Walmart, particularly from the conservative acolytes figuratively sucking them off because they don't know how to pick their battles. Sweet baby jesus some of you can be pitiful.
    Last edited by Dexlin; June-26-14 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Dear lord. I make one passing reference about Meijer - and not even a political one, rather referencing that they can be less discerning in where they plop down a store because their sheer size allows them to absorb losses better than smaller big boxes - and the thread devolves into your tired political/ideological battles about Walmart, particularly from the conservative acolytes figuratively sucking them off because they don't know how to pick their battles. Sweet baby jesus some of you can be pitiful.

Target has been pretty hesitant to expand in Metro Detroit. I can only think of a few brand new stores that weren't rebuilt locations [[12 and Dequindre for example). Walmart has a pretty amazing strategy of plopping a store down, waiting until the store's year over year revenue is starting to flatten out, then building a new store in a new development. They don't have any stores in Detroit, and have been slowing down their expansion as everyone realizes how terrible Walmart is.

Meijer is accessing an untapped market. If you don't think it's an untapped market, ask how many people from Detroit go to the Meijer or Target at that Fairlane shopping center. I've made trips out there more than a few times when I had a couple destinations to go to. I bet that Target and Walmart are closely watching Meijer's first Detroit store, but it will still take them like a decade to overcome the large-retail-in-Detroit stigma.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Target has been pretty hesitant to expand in Metro Detroit. I can only think of a few brand new stores that weren't rebuilt locations [[12 and Dequindre for example)
    That was a rebuilt replacing one that was just a bit further south on Dequindre before 11 Mile...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That was a rebuilt replacing one that was just a bit further south on Dequindre before 11 Mile...
    They also expanded and renovated their Northland and Eastland stores [[in spite of their high shrinkage rates).

Target has been pretty hesitant to expand in Metro Detroit. I can only think of a few brand new stores that weren't rebuilt locations [[12 and Dequindre for example). Walmart has a pretty amazing strategy of plopping a store down, waiting until the store's year over year revenue is starting to flatten out, then building a new store in a new development. They don't have any stores in Detroit, and have been slowing down their expansion as everyone realizes how terrible Walmart is.

Meijer is accessing an untapped market. If you don't think it's an untapped market, ask how many people from Detroit go to the Meijer or Target at that Fairlane shopping center. I've made trips out there more than a few times when I had a couple destinations to go to. I bet that Target and Walmart are closely watching Meijer's first Detroit store, but it will still take them like a decade to overcome the large-retail-in-Detroit stigma.
    While most of the big box discount department stores stated in the metro areas and built out, Walmart built their base in the small town boondocks and expanded toward the large metro areas. It wasn't until the 1990s that you began seeing Walmart stores in suburbia.

I probably could have worded it better, but that was what I was mentioning. I think the newest one I know of is 16 and Dequindre. Otherwise, most of the stores have been around for a fair amount of time with heavy reinvestments to update the stores.

I probably could have worded it better, but that was what I was mentioning. I think the newest one I know of is 16 and Dequindre. Otherwise, most of the stores have been around for a fair amount of time with heavy reinvestments to update the stores.
    There are plenty of Target stores already around Metro Detroit.

I don't blame them for not opening any more new stores in an area that's declining economically [[in terms of the population's wealthy & buying power) and stagnant population-wise.

Smart businesses only invest in untapped or growing markets.

There used to be a Target Store in 8 Mile near Van Dyke at the Bel-Air Shopping Center.

GUSHI Guest

26 van dyke, 16 and deq, hall and romeo plank?

Ask yourself a question; Why is Target hesitant about opening a store in Detroit? Is Detroit's property tax too high? The crime? Meijer was adventurous enough to open a store and building another in Detriot. WholeFoods had opened a store in Midtown. Why is Target is hesistant. Target has the basic needs that most Detroiter will shop for. Had a Target opened in the downtown area a couple of years ago instead of Somerset City Loft more people would had shopped at Target eventhough downtown residency is low. Target would had done a better job in sales than the Somerset Collection, Nojo Kicks, MooseJaw, and Jos A Bank combined. I do believe that there is a element that doesn't want a store such as Target and JCPenney within the borders of Detroit. These stores are a threat to many stores that certain elements have in the city or in the suburbs where Detroiters bring their bag of money to shop.

Ask yourself a question; Why is Target hesitant about opening a store in Detroit? Is Detroit's property tax too high? The crime? Meijer was adventurous enough to open a store and building another in Detriot. WholeFoods had opened a store in Midtown. Why is Target is hesistant. Target has the basic needs that most Detroiter will shop for. Had a Target opened in the downtown area a couple of years ago instead of Somerset City Loft more people would had shopped at Target eventhough downtown residency is low. Target would had done a better job in sales than the Somerset Collection, Nojo Kicks, MooseJaw, and Jos A Bank combined. I do believe that there is a element that doesn't want a store such as Target and JCPenney within the borders of Detroit. These stores are a threat to many stores that certain elements have in the city or in the suburbs where Detroiters bring their bag of money to shop.
    Not sure about an "element", but the incompetence, kleptocracy, and laziness in the building permit process may have something to do with it. If Duggan went down there and told the workers that "slow wlaking" a permit from a commercially desirable applicant would cause some employees to be "squashed like a bug", quite possibly more businesses might be willing to chance a Detroit location.

As Danny mentioned, Target had a store at the Bel-Air center for a while. They opened and closed a store here. My mom worked at the JC Penney on Grand River in High School.

Kroger's was hestitant to open a store on E. 7 Mile Rd and Gratiot Ave. Than left.

Meijer was able to get their store built, what is stopping Target? Don't go spewing the same old "IT'S THE INEPT PROCESS" or "THE LEADERSHIP OF DETROIT DOESN'T WANT THAT BUSINESS" stuff because all it is is conjecture. You don't have proof that some magical man in city hall has stopped Target from building a store, Meijer proved that you can get a store built within the city limits in a reasonable amount of time. I chalk it up to a corporate culture that is afraid to invest in a city that many outsiders view as a terrible city with people who will shoplift everything and not spend a penny. It's not true, ask Meijer or Whole Foods how their stores are doing.

There’s no excuse not to find space in Detroit to open a shopping outlet, of whatever size, in Detroit. Tear down the Fisher Body Plant. Build at that huge field at I-94 & Livernois.

[QUOTE=Hermod;441384]Not sure about an "element", but the incompetence, kleptocracy, and laziness in the building permit process may have something to do with it. If Duggan went down there and told the workers that "slow wlaking" a permit from a commercially desirable applicant would cause some employees to be "squashed like a bug", quite possibly more businesses might be willing to chance a Detroit location.[/l]

That had been a major from that many small businesses have with Detroit. The slowness of a business permit. Duggan has not done anything to correct that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There’s no excuse not to find space in Detroit to open a shopping outlet, of whatever size, in Detroit. Tear down the Fisher Body Plant. Build at that huge field at I-94 & Livernois.
    I-94 and Livernois does not have the demographics [[number of rich people in a short distance) Meijer wants and is very close to their Allen Park and Lincoln Park Locations.

That had been a major from that many small businesses have with Detroit. The slowness of a business permit. Duggan has not done anything to correct that problem
    Really? http://www.detroitmi.gov/News/tabid/...t/Default.aspx

I suppose lighting up the neighborhoods is bad for small business?
    I suppose putting people in vacant homes is bad for small business?

I suppose we should get rid of all permits and inspections so businesses can be unsafe for its employees and patrons? http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...nseCenter.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Really? http://www.detroitmi.gov/News/tabid/...t/Default.aspx

I suppose lighting up the neighborhoods is bad for small business?
    I suppose putting people in vacant homes is bad for small business?

I suppose we should get rid of all permits and inspections so businesses can be unsafe for its employees and patrons? http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...nseCenter.aspx
    You have to understand, lots of people bank on the "Detroit's planning process is so broken and so slow that no one can do anything!!" tripe that's a carryover from the Bing administration. It's a great card to throw down where they can absolve the business owner, the corporation, everyone from being blamed for things not panning out. It helps keep the "Detroit is a broken government system" dream alive, allows people to maintain this pristine image of corporations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I suppose we should get rid of all permits and inspections so businesses can be unsafe for its employees and patrons?
    There is a big difference in being lax and anything goes on permitting and inspections and having a system that quickly and efficiently processes paperwork, is accessible easily by phone or in person, provides accurate and knowledgeable information, and that is responsive in scheduling in-process and final inspections. Ever heard of being "tough but fair"?

e.p.3 Guest

This likely means their research shows the area has an obscene amount of bridge cards. I'd hardly call that good or promising news. Love Meijer though. Great company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast