Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Things that are fun in Detroit 2014

Started this thread for a fusion of some of the events that are put on in our city that are just plain fun.

Enjoyed a beautiful day at Riverdays today downtown. We had some good food, a few drinks and took in some of the entertainment they had on the stages. Very cool to see so many people out enjoying themselves at one of the best family oriented events that are put on in the summer in the D. We must have watched those kids play in the fountains for hours, they were having so much fun it was contagious and just brought a smile to everyone's face that was watching. Anyone else go? What is happening downtown this summer that you are looking forward to? Jazz festival is one of my favs but I try not to look forward because it's so close to the end of summer weather.

I always look forward to Concert of Colors...been a yearly tradition of mine for the last 10 years or so to go at least one day. Looks like I'm currently targeting the Sunday night lineup...the Sierra Leone Refugee All-Stars at 7:00 and Seun Kuti with Fela's Egypt 80 at 8:30. Should be a great night and a great event. Just a wonderful cultural mix bringing folks from every race, sex, and age together to celebrate global music.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I always look forward to Concert of Colors...been a yearly tradition of mine for the last 10 years or so to go at least one day. Looks like I'm currently targeting the Sunday night lineup...the Sierra Leone Refugee All-Stars at 7:00 and Seun Kuti with Fela's Egypt 80 at 8:30. Should be a great night and a great event. Just a wonderful cultural mix bringing folks from every race, sex, and age together to celebrate global music.
    Never been before but after checking out the web site looks like something that I'll have to explore. Anytime there is live music I'm all in.

Climbing onto freeway signs to spraypaint them must give some people jollies though I for the life of me do not understand why.

Hang out at the Garden Bowl is fun.
    Exploring Eastern Market is fun.
    Okay so it is in Dearborn, but Greenfield Village is a fun place. It is even funner now that there are multiple locations selling libations.
    DIA and historical museum are inspiring.
    Summer classes at WSU may not seem like fun, but working for a goal certainly is.
    Original Buddies is fun.

Unlimited Hydroplane Races on the River.....

Attachment 23800

Will Dalley in the Alley be on as usual this September?

Eastern Market every Saturday!

Preservation Detroit tours are always fun. Question: are there any PD tours [[or any other tour) that will take you to the top of any downtown skyscrapers? The only thing I can think of is going for a drink at Coach Insignia. But getting to the top of one of the old skyscrapers would be even cooler.

And while I am on the subject [[loosely), did SkyBar in the Stott survive? As of last spring, it was on the fritz...at least the part in the sky.

What ever happened with that west village bier garden?
    seek and find murals and other skillful and tastefully done street vandalism
    Cautiously discover new bars in the city, go barhopping on Springwells and around swDetroit

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Interesting question. Eventually all of the revitalization of this area may make this event to be hated by the newcomers that have moved in. It would not surprise me to start seeing a major shift in either the location of this or the reduction in scope. Who knows, it might even become the 2nd Street street carnival, but it will change. For good or for bad is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Cautiously discover new bars in the city, go barhopping on Springwells and around swDetroit
    Back in my drinking days I did this downriver on a couple of occasions. Starting off in Wyandotte me and buddies would ask for the worst beer that they sold at a bar. Then we would ask the bartender to send us to a nearby bar that would have even worse beer. We got into some pretty seedy places that I never knew existed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Interesting question. Eventually all of the revitalization of this area may make this event to be hated by the newcomers that have moved in. It would not surprise me to start seeing a major shift in either the location of this or the reduction in scope. Who knows, it might even become the 2nd Street street carnival, but it will change. For good or for bad is in the eye of the beholder.
    I imagine that the current block where it is held won't object much any time soon. The apartments are primarily students and young professionals who want to be around that environment, very little in the way of "really nice" apartments. Everyone I've known in that block [[and I have known/know quite a few) lives there for the reason that it's a very active community in the party/doing things sense.

Preservation Detroit tours are always fun. Question: are there any PD tours [[or any other tour) that will take you to the top of any downtown skyscrapers? The only thing I can think of is going for a drink at Coach Insignia. But getting to the top of one of the old skyscrapers would be even cooler.
    http://www.dallyinthealley.com/music/

http://opportunitydetroit.com/blog/w...viewing-party/

Pulled this one off of onother tread but seemed on topic here.... Sounds like Fun!

The Detroit Le Rouge soccer, John's carpet house, and the Russell Bazaar.

Quote Originally Posted by timenoughdetroit View Post
    The Detroit Le Rouge soccer, John's carpet house, and the Russell Bazaar.
    John's carpet house is now on my must do list for this summer. Anyone been there this year? I'm a little shocked and embarrassed I didn't know about it. Blues performed by people with the passion to perform in a field? It's real good in the expensive tourist bars, but always seems even better when you find it in a small out of the place...

Where is John's Carpet house, again??

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Where is John's Carpet house, again??

Stromberg2
    On Frederick Street between St. Aubin and Duboise.

Dally in The Alley is scheduled for September 6.
    http://www.dallyinthealley.com/

Don't forget Eastern Market Sundays through the summer!!
    http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=1&s=184

You can take a FREE tour of the Renaissance Center each weekday at 12noon and 2pm. The tour takes you up to the Coach Insignia restaurant for a view of the city.
    http://gmrencen.com/happening/tourrencen.axis

Check out the FREE Pure Detroit tours of the Fisher Building and Guardian Buildings tours for views of the city. On the Fisher Building tour, we went up to the 26th floor, the original Fisher Brothers offices, for views of the city. I haven't taken their Guardian Building tour, but I imagine that they also take the tour up to the ballroom floor for the views.
    https://www.facebook.com/puredetroit...detroit/events

Anyone else besides me and Jimmy Buffett notice the irony of all the Jehovah's witness folks and the Parrotheads in the downtown area last Saturday night? For excellent people watching sometimes Detroit really delievers.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-27-14 at 06:23 PM.

We were on the river-walk Saturday night. Parrotheads, Jehovah's Witnesses, a few party boats slow-rolling on the river, with a couple of wedding receptions thrown in - it was an eclectic crowd.

Get a lawn chair, go to Woodward or I-96 and watch the projects get built.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Get a lawn chair, go to Woodward or I-96 and watch the projects get built.
    Or get a lawnchair, go to the I-75/I-375 interchange, and watch the projects get torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Or get a lawnchair, go to the I-75/I-375 interchange, and watch the projects get torn down.
    Wayyy to slloowww. Why didn't they implode those towers? Seemed like perfect candidates being all out there by themselves with a nice good safety margin.

LA , New York and DETROIT! The Monster Tour! Three cities, 6 shows, and a whole lot of concert envy around the country for us right about now.

What's on the plate this weekend? I plan on staying home all weekend, mostly to work on some stuff and ride bikes, but was wondering what to stop by while biking about town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast