Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Zukins

Default Zukins

Did anyone ever go to Zukins ice cream shop near Mercury Theatre in the 60's?

Remember the name but not as an ice cream shop. Check out their website. They are located on Dix in Lincoln Park. Now known as Zukin's Rib Shack. Carry out only. The pictures sure do look good. Will have to drive over and check them out.

Like the person above me, I'm also familiar with the Zukin's name only through the Lincoln Park location.

[QUOTE=xayen;440774]Did anyone ever go to Zukins ice cream shop near Mercury Theatre in the 60'

I remember the store. There is a blog by Renee Zukin that tells a little about her grandparents store.

http://www.everydayimbrave.com/gener...-broken-hearts

Zukins Dial-a-Dinner Rib Sack.With locations,in Highland Park,Detroit at 7 and Evergreen and 8 Mile west of Schaffer.Oak Park at 9 Mile and Coolidge.Jerrys Rib on Tuxedo and Livernios was a Zukins.I'm leaving some out as its been 41 years since I worked at the OP store after school and weekends.The 8 Mile store moved to Oak Park,and became an adult bookstore call the Book Shack,hey the sign was already there!

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Zukins Dial-a-Dinner Rib Sack.With locations,in Highland Park,Detroit at 7 and Evergreen and 8 Mile west of Schaffer.Oak Park at 9 Mile and Coolidge.Jerrys Rib on Tuxedo and Livernios was a Zukins.I'm leaving some out as its been 41 years since I worked at the OP store after school and weekends.The 8 Mile store moved to Oak Park,and became an adult bookstore call the Book Shack,hey the sign was already there!
    I'm pretty sure there was one on Springwells near Vernor. I think I remember one of the guys in my 'hood used to deliver for them.

I think there used to be a Zukin's Rib Shack in downtown Royal Oak on the northwest corner
    of Eleven Mile and Main street. This was long before Memphis Smoke went in on the
    southwest corner of that intersection. Could even have been back in the day of Romeyn's
    and Kevorkian's.

This thread piques my curiosity a bit. "Zukin" sounds like a Russian name. Zukin's in
    Royal Oak was a plain vanilla carry out building whereas Memphis Smoke was....hmmm,
    whatchacallit...you know, the dish that has three or four different ice creams, three or four
    different sauces, three or four different sprinkles and nuts. And bananas too.
    The Pig Boat.
    There is a general tradition that plain vanilla barbeque is really tasty stuff, the success story barbeque not as good. So what happened to the Royal Oak Zukin's, given that there
    seemed to be a ongoing market for barbeque in that area, based on the fact that Memphis
    Smoke opened there later on? Did it have to close right after the big emigration to Texas in the early eighties?
    Then there are several regional variants of barbeque as well. Which kind was Zukin's?

I used to live at 1105 Dix [[in the building with the mirrored front window), and got Zukins every week. They were only a couple blocks from me. Their ribs were awesome!!

This is a bit off topic but for the few readers that have a serious craving for
    ribs and ice cream now, but need to stave off heart disease, instead of ribs and
    ice cream go get the Dobrova sardines imported from Slovenia by Tut's in Dearborn.
    These sardines are in the ethnic aisle at the Kroger on Michigan and Greenfield [[not by
    the Beachcliff sardines in the canned fish aisle). They do have salt in them so they
    are not perfect.

Zukin's Ice Cream Parlor and Deli was on 7 mile rd near Myers...but it was next to the Royal Theater...not the Mercury. I worked at both...mostly the theater...1961 thru 66 or so. Grace Hospital was right behind [[South) of it. Zukin's was famous for their 'ice cream fantasies'...which were fun to eat but not fun to dish up. To this day I hate the feel of sticky ice cream on me.
    Lots of old memories wrapped up in those 2 places! xayen...did you work there also?

I went to High School in Livonia with one of the Zukin girls, I am still in touch with her via Facebook. They still have a distribution center in Detroit, on Perry street, visible from I-75.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie48240 View Post
    Zukin's Ice Cream Parlor and Deli was on 7 mile rd near Myers...but it was next to the Royal Theater...not the Mercury. I worked at both...mostly the theater...1961 thru 66 or so. Grace Hospital was right behind [[South) of it. Zukin's was famous for their 'ice cream fantasies'...which were fun to eat but not fun to dish up. To this day I hate the feel of sticky ice cream on me.
    Lots of old memories wrapped up in those 2 places! xayen...did you work there also?
    I am sorry I am just seeing your reply.. I live in Thailand now.......I lived in Northwest Detroit around 7mile and South field... My parents always took us to Zukins and sometimes ordered I bet you Cant which could never finish. Those were the memories for sure.i remember the owner vaguely. It was busy place.. How about Pizza Pete did you remember that place?
    Dan

There is a Zukins rib shack soon to open in Livonia at 5 & Farmington. Is this the same Zukins? There is one somewhere downriver.

They have been working on the new one in Livonia forever. Ok, maybe only 6 months. I called the one in Lincoln Park a month ago to ask when Livonia was to open and couldn't really get an answer. My understanding is that Livonia and Lincoln Park are related.