Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What happened to TV 20 News department?

I noticed that TV 20 now has Channel 7 news on at 10 pm.
    What happened to the other news team?
    It seems odd that another station is doing their news show.
    I recall years ago when Channel 50 dropped their news team abruptly but
    I've never seen one replaced by another channel's news team. What gives?

WXYZ's parent company, Scripps, bought WMYD.

Channel 20's news team was never very real. A large portion of their broadcasts were produced in another city entirely and had a small amount of original local content added in.

WXYZ can now spread the cost of doing news to another hour of the day, and promote the heck out of Channel 7 on Channel 20. Long term, it will be interesting to see what WXYZ does with the station. Scripps already produces a lot of programming for syndication and cable, and now they have a natural outlet for those shows in Detroit. WXYZ and Scripps are strong enough to make it an "indie" station if they wanted to do so, and get rid of the "MyNetwork" syndication arrangement. I don't see major sports returning there, though. Cable subscription fees mean there will always be- going forward- more money for sports on cable than on broadcast TV. I miss the days of UltraMan and Johnny Socko and the Giant Robot on in the afternoons. And all the old sitcom reruns. Green Acres was the place to be.

Forget Johnny Socko, bring back Little Heros! http://vintagedetroittvandmovieboard...s#.U6PArvldWQA

here is the history of 20
    http://www.scripps.com/brands/wmyd
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-20-14 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Channel 20's news team was never very real. A large portion of their broadcasts were produced in another city entirely and had a small amount of original local content added in.

WXYZ can now spread the cost of doing news to another hour of the day, and promote the heck out of Channel 7 on Channel 20. Long term, it will be interesting to see what WXYZ does with the station. Scripps already produces a lot of programming for syndication and cable, and now they have a natural outlet for those shows in Detroit. WXYZ and Scripps are strong enough to make it an "indie" station if they wanted to do so, and get rid of the "MyNetwork" syndication arrangement. I don't see major sports returning there, though. Cable subscription fees mean there will always be- going forward- more money for sports on cable than on broadcast TV. I miss the days of UltraMan and Johnny Socko and the Giant Robot on in the afternoons. And all the old sitcom reruns. Green Acres was the place to be.
    Yes, I used to watch the French version of Ultraman. Every week a different kind of Godzilla would flatten a given part of Tokyo. What a buzz. Some great TV moments there.

I want to know if they're hiring. http://www.wxyz.com/tv20detroit/ looks like their website has been incorporated as a spinoff link at the WXYZ site.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-20-14 at 08:35 AM.

"A large portion of their broadcasts were produced in another city entirely and had a small amount of original local content added in."

???

All or mostly all of the 10:00 news was local. I preferred this newscast because it was serious and local. No giggling. A little inside joke about how to pronounce words like Oshawa and Cadieux.

If you ask me, Fox 2 news uses lots of stories from other Fox cities.

I will say that Channel 20's many, many commercials for for-profit and scandal ridden "colleges" were a great disservice to their viewer audience.

From Wikipedia:

On July 14, 2008, WMYD launched a weeknight prime time newscast produced by theIndependent News Network [[INN) in order to compete with WJBK's longer-established hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast. Titled My TV20 News at 10, the half-hour newscast was produced out of INN's facilities on Tremont Avenue in Davenport, Iowa. Although news anchors, meteorologists and sports anchors were provided by the centralized news operation, WMYD maintained two locally-based reporters that contributed to the broadcast. In late 2008, the Independent News Network filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and would end all news productions [[including those for WMYD) by January 9, 2009.[24] All broadcasts were then planned to be reinstated under the production of Fusion Communications, also based in Davenport.
    In September 2009, Granite terminated the agreement with INN, and turned over production of WMYD's newscast to WISE-TV in Fort Wayne, Indiana [[which is part of Granite's Indiana's NewsCenter operation). The switch came after the studio facility for Granite's Fort Wayne virtual duopoly became a master control hub for the company's Midwestern stations. As with the previous INN production, the newscast was produced in advance using anchors based in Fort Wayne, along with reporters based in Detroit.[25] The final newscast produced by Granite aired at 10 pm on June 13, 2014.

I can't say I watched TV20 news enough to know what commercials they aired. Which for-profit colleges are scandal ridden? Is there an implication that for profit colleges are inherently scandalous? More than a few not-for-profit colleges could be described as being scandalous.

I use an antenna, and what I noticed a couple days ago was that, instead of coming in on 20-1 and 20-2, I was picking up the broadcast on 21-3 and 21-4. I just hope they don't drop COZI because I enjoy the McCloud, Magnum and I Spy reruns.

The New York Times covers the scandal of the for-profit colleges quite often:

" The allegations all stem from one essential fact: The for-profit college industry makes its money by recruiting students — overwhelmingly poor and working-class students — who must draw from the federal till to pay tuition. In many cases, as much as 90 percent of the revenue of a for-profit college company comes from the federal government, in the form of Pell Grants and student loans. The more students the companies enroll, the more federal money they get — and the more profit they make.This has led to a widespread view that the for-profits will do just about anything to get that federal money. Although for-profit colleges enroll 12 percent of the nation’s college students, they soak up about 25 percent of the federal government’s student-aid budget. Fewer than half the students who enroll in the four-year for-profit schools graduate. Roughly 47 percent of those who were paying back their loans in 2009 defaulted by 2010. "

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The New York Times covers the scandal of the for-profit colleges quite often:
    "
    The portion quoted identifies several flaws not particular to for-profit schools: wasteful and money driven education recruitment; students racking up more debt in pursuit of an education than that education is likely to earn them; lower graduation rates among those in non-traditional schools and programs.

The Pell Grant and other federal scholarships & grants [[and loan guarantees) are bad government policy. They are notorious for waste, fraud and no strings attached with regards to academic achievement. Attempts to reform them are met with the intellectually hollow claim that those opposed are just opposed to education. Unfortunately, federal education money [[which I would argue should not exist at all) corrupts all institutions that accept it, to at least some extent. Practices by the institutions and the individuals are geared towards qualifying for money first. And said money is virtually never tied to individual accomplishment or job market need. It also artificially inflates the cost of education.

Private, for-profit colleges can provide very good, practical educations. ITT Tech, for instance, prepares more people for actual jobs [[and actively assists in placement) than just about any other institution in the country. I know a number of people who have gone through their programs, and work in the field they were trained in.

The problems with money in higher education stem from the fact that those making choices [[the students) are actively discouraged from making an informed choice about the cost to themselves of their education. Both the literal financial cost, yes, and also the opportunity of pursuing a different path. When shopping for food or a house or a car, you assess the cost vs value of what you are buying. When it comes to education, people think only, "Hmmm... where do I want to go to college?" Graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt- especially when you are not studying a field likely to have high salaries- shouldn't be done. A grocery store cashier would not buy a mansion- with a federal loan guarantee- on his or her salary. But people attend expensive schools to achieve degrees, including graduate degrees, in liberal arts or sociology or art history. All fine endeavours, but without much prospect of paying off the loans. The government has corrupted logic by underwriting and encouraging people to go into debt they won't be able to pay off. Not unlike how the Community Reinvestment Act required banks to make home loans to people unqualified on paper. We all know how that turned out.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; June-20-14 at 12:45 PM.

"Students who enroll in for-profit colleges take on high levels of debt in pursuit of credentials that have little chance of leading to high-paying careers, and those who enroll in four-year-degree programs graduate at lower rates than students at nonprofit colleges, according to a new report from the Education Trust, a Washington-based policy group.The authors of the report, "Subprime Opportunity: The Unfulfilled Promise of For-Profit Colleges and Universities," analyzed information from a number of federal studies about student-loan debt, and default rates, as well as data the Education Trust collected about graduation rates. They concluded that, while proprietary institutions are providing higher-education access to underserved students that other colleges are not, they are "paving a path into the subbasement of the American economy" for many of the students they enroll.

I wonder if WMYD will also stop doing the Fox-produced Saturday infomercial block [[because the block is created by a rival network)-I don't know where these infomercials will end up-WJBK already pre-empts it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve203 View Post
    I use an antenna, and what I noticed a couple days ago was that, instead of coming in on 20-1 and 20-2, I was picking up the broadcast on 21-3 and 21-4. I just hope they don't drop COZI because I enjoy the McCloud, Magnum and I Spy reruns.
    It hasn't been dropped yet, according to Wikipedia. And speaking of channels dedicated to old programs, why does Detroit still lack a Me TV affiliate [[outside of AT&T Uverse channel 136, which I actually watch nearly all day all week)? That network already has affiliates in nearby Jackson and Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And speaking of channels dedicated to old programs, why does Detroit still lack a Me TV affiliate [[outside of AT&T Uverse channel 136, which I actually watch nearly all day all week)? That network already has affiliates in nearby Jackson and Toledo.
    Probably because of COZI and "Antenna TV", which is on 38.2. The problem with 38 is, it seems, they cut power around Memorial Day, so I miss "WKRP In Cincinnati" all summer. Their signal is already weak in far western Wayne County, and I lose it entirely in the summer.

I think it was 7.2 that used to run "Retro TV": reruns of "Alias Smith and Jones", "Daniel Boone" and "Laredo" back to back on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and "Black Sheep Squadron" at 7pm Saturday and Sunday. Then Retro changed their lineup, and a week later 7 dumped it for this "Living Well Network". COZI was running Smith and Jones on Saturday nights, but dropped it a couple weeks ago.

So "the powers that be" probably figure there are already so many stations running old shows that there is no room for MyTV

Yeah I live in Fort Wayne, IN, when I first saw a local anchor on a MYTV20 Broadcast I thought she had left for the Detroit market. She is actually the wife of a senator in Indiana, her name is Mellisa Long. I chuckled when she mispronounced Gratiot in a clip I saw. I later put it all together. Traditional media is hitting the crapper hard... Thanks for the Wiki info Mikey...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Traditional media is hitting the crapper hard... Thanks for the Wiki info Mikey...
    Well, it's not really all that preventable. Ad revenue is spread over hundreds of channels [[and the internet) now. Stations, station groups, networks and the like economize however they can. Small market stations and small stations in larger markets do things now that were once unthinkable [[outsourcing local news, airing other station's newscasts, airing same-day repeats of syndicated shows, etc). News anchors make far less than they formerly did, cub reporters are almost volunteering, and lots of tech jobs have been consolidated or replaced by computers. I can't stand how no matter what time you switch on the news, you see the same stories over and over. The five o'clock news, six o'clock news, ten o'clock news, and eleven o'clock news are all pretty much the same broadcast now, regardless of station. Say what you will about the old days, Bill or Mort gave you a fresh reason to tune in. I wonder what TV news will look like in 10 years.

I wonder how much a six o'clock news ad goes for and if the value has decreased over the last decade?

I gotta say it's weird to see NBC and ABC affiliates owned by the same company, let alone having them housed in the same building.

Is this type of arrangement due to De-regulation in the 80's?

It has to do with duopoly rules that were challenged more recently than the 80s. CBS and UPN were the original offenders of this. Speaking of which I've always found it funny that here in Deteoit CBS has not had local news since the Denise of CBS2 in the early 90s. I still don't understand why that switch was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    It has to do with duopoly rules that were challenged more recently than the 80s. CBS and UPN were the original offenders of this. Speaking of which I've always found it funny that here in Deteoit CBS has not had local news since the Denise of CBS2 in the early 90s. I still don't understand why that switch was done.
    The group that owned WJBK switched network affiliation to Fox, and later sold the stations to Fox. No local "choice" in network affiliation. Also, WWJ did operate news with WKBD for several years, but could not make a profit on it, and instead airs syndicated shows now [[which make them money) in place of news.

Duopolies and group ownership of multiple stations is necessary. If there aren't economies of scale, there would be many fewer TV stations in the US. It would especially harm smaller markets.

As for the Dbest's comment about NBC & ABC affiliates owned and housed together, I don't think that exists in any of the larger markets. For sure it does in some very small markets, but I don't think 2 Big Four network affiliates are under the same ownership in any large market. Of, lots of big market stations own and operate an independent or "minor" network affiliate [[a CW, MyNetwork, or spanish station).

Probably because of COZI and "Antenna TV", which is on 38.2. The problem with 38 is, it seems, they cut power around Memorial Day, so I miss "WKRP In Cincinnati" all summer. Their signal is already weak in far western Wayne County, and I lose it entirely in the summer.

I think it was 7.2 that used to run "Retro TV": reruns of "Alias Smith and Jones", "Daniel Boone" and "Laredo" back to back on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and "Black Sheep Squadron" at 7pm Saturday and Sunday. Then Retro changed their lineup, and a week later 7 dumped it for this "Living Well Network". COZI was running Smith and Jones on Saturday nights, but dropped it a couple weeks ago.

So "the powers that be" probably figure there are already so many stations running old shows that there is no room for MyTV
    Well, actually, I just discovered today that Me TV is also available on at least one cable provider in the Detroit area other than Uverse-but like Uverse, it's just the entire national feed [[including the program currently airing on there right as I'm typing this, The Rockford Files), but this one is unique in that it is advertised as "Me TV Detroit" in the :00 bumpers.

Channel 20-1 and 20-2 are back on and no longer on 21. I use an antenna too. Cable and satellite are too $$$$$$$. We watch a lot of cable shows on the internet anyway and we are able to access Netflix from daughter's friend's acct.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    and we are able to access Netflix from daughter's friend's acct.
    Nothing like fessin' up to a federal felony on DYES!

No illegal hookups here Mikey. Sorry.