Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default All Utash Assailants Convicted and Face Prison Time

Great news. Justice prevails.

I have long thought/wished our news media should celebrate in their headlines and breaking news the successful prosecution of criminals far more than the sensational moment of the crime.

Instead news that the final three defendants in the highly-charged story of Stephen Utash's beating have pleaded guilty, and now face up to ten years in prison, barely scratches the surface.

The affect of hyping an sensational story has often been to make the criminals celebrated, often giving them the attention they seek. It also leads to uniformed accusations, wild speculations and grandiose indictments of the city and classes of people.

Hyping the conviction to the same level instead would diminish any celebrity and make the perps look like the fools and misfits they are - something for other fools to think about. Instead it will be a one day story at best.

Thoughts?

Story at MLIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Great news. Justice prevails.

I have long thought/wished our news media should celebrate in their headlines and breaking news the successful prosecution of criminals far more than the sensational moment of the crime.

Instead news that the final three defendants in the highly-charged story of Stephen Utash's beating have pleaded guilty, and now face up to ten years in prison, barely scratches the surface.

The affect of hyping an sensational story has often been to make the criminals celebrated, often giving them the attention they seek. It also leads to uniformed accusations, wild speculations and grandiose indictments of the city and classes of people.

Hyping the conviction to the same level instead would diminish any celebrity and make the perps look like the fools and misfits they are - something for other fools to think about. Instead it will be a one day story at best.

Thoughts?

Story at MLIVE
    I have a family member who used to teach in the 'burbs way back when. [[retired) She was placed @ the "Cool School", [[dubbed by the attendents placed there by the disciplinary board) She used to tell me stories about how the kids would go out on a rampage @ night, get arrested, then the next morning, bring the paper in, [[no internet back then) and show off to the other kids that they had made the headlines. It was a kind of "thing" in their peer group. So I would say there is some strong truth to what you say.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-19-14 at 12:43 PM.

So in to the National Criminal Training Center they go where they will refine their skill set, make new homies and expand their Krew, victimize a few other inmates/get victimized by a few other inmates and in 24-36 months they will be back in the parking lot of their corner "Foutee" Party Sto in hot pursuit of the American Dream. I wish I was wrong but show me these dudes in 8-10 years and Ill show you a rap sheet with a few more entries... Where art thou Paul Kersey

Default The man didn't die

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    So in to the National Criminal Training Center they go where they will refine their skill set, make new homies and expand their Krew, victimize a few other inmates/get victimized by a few other inmates and in 24-36 months they will be back in the parking lot of their corner "Foutee" Party Sto in hot pursuit of the American Dream. I wish I was wrong but show me these dudes in 8-10 years and Ill show you a rap sheet with a few more entries... Where art thou Paul Kersey
    I think a fairer sentence would be restitution for the man's injuries -- he didn't die. Some jail time, but make the boys earn $$ and pay the man for hospitalization. Sometimes money restitution is more punitive than putting them in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I think a fairer sentence would be restitution for the man's injuries -- he didn't die. Some jail time, but make the boys earn $$ and pay the man for hospitalization. Sometimes money restitution is more punitive than putting them in prison.
    If they had the resources to earn an onset living this May not have ever happened!

Thoughts?
    Unfortunately, since the deregulation of the TV industry, News is no longer a prestige item, one that they lost money on, but could point to as "Award Winning" and Trusted, but is now just another profit center that must generate a positive cash flow or be eliminated.

Remember the prime directive for TV news - "If it bleeds, it leads."

Thoughts?
    I saw several national news headlines on it yesterday.

Lock the punks up. I couldn't imagine hurting someone unless I was defending myself. They'll probably all go on to continue to be criminals, but it's not like people who nearly kill a person are going to go on to productive lives if we just let 'em go.

This is a huge step for Detroit, this crime got solved, people will be punished. In the past stuff like this would never see the courts because they wouldn't be able to identify and round up the perps.

Justice prevails, HAH! They all looking at 10 years in Jackson Prison instead of hard time. A plea deal has already made and done. There goes a case of ethnic intimidation.

PK reference...? interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Where art thou Paul Kersey

Yes, and no. There's a sub-culture now where, especially young males, after having not had jobs as teens as they once did, will not likely be working later. Add to that the economy and drug screening and its a wrap. Some have thrown up their hands to working.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    If they had the resources to earn an onset living this May not have ever happened!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-20-14 at 07:38 AM.

While unemployment, lack of education and opportunity are evil cousin of crimes, felonies like the Utash beating are special in that they have a mass psychology aspect. Once set in action a swarming effect occurs and others, who quite possibly would not have participated, are drawn in. This have nothing to do with economics but seems to be something to do with the darker angels of our human nature.

This can be seen in the recent Michigan Pride beating, to police assaulting Rodney King, to a national scale with events like Kristalnacht attacks on Jews and the their businesses in rising Nazi Germany and in massacres in the Balkans and Rwanda. Often people with no criminal background are swept up in the moment.

It seems that a special penalty should exist for the 'first swing' assailant, something similar to inciting a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Joe Utash admitted he doesn't know all of the court and legal jargon, but he called the plea deals given to the suspects in his father's beating case bologna.
    I'm not quite sure what deli meats have to do with anything...but I love the strident ignorance of this dolt. "I don't know anything about what a plea deal is, or what the ramifications are, I just know I'm mad as hell about it!"

While unemployment, lack of education and opportunity are evil cousin of crimes, felonies like the Utash beating are special in that they have a mass psychology aspect. Once set in action a swarming effect occurs and others, who quite possibly would not have participated, are drawn in. This have nothing to do with economics but seems to be something to do with the darker angels of our human nature.

This can be seen in the recent Michigan Pride beating, to police assaulting Rodney King, to a national scale with events like Kristalnacht attacks on Jews and the their businesses in rising Nazi Germany and in massacres in the Balkans and Rwanda. Often people with no criminal background are swept up in the moment.

It seems that a special penalty should exist for the 'first swing' assailant, something similar to inciting a riot.

I couldn't agree more with your 'first swing assailant' proposal. With the advent of portable recording devices, it might make people think before they respond with misguided emotion. Which brings me to my 2nd point, 'lack of education' IS responsible for what happened. An educated person, IMO, would have first checked to see if the kid was alright, assessed what happened, then took the appropriate action. Lack of education generated the response witnessed on the surveillance video.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm not quite sure what deli meats have to do with anything...but I love the strident ignorance of this dolt. "I don't know anything about what a plea deal is, or what the ramifications are, I just know I'm mad as hell about it!"
    He pretty much struck me as a "dumbass" after the first comment I ever read from him.

I am glad this was resolved in the way it was. It does seem at least two of those who owned up to this deed realized how bad it was and feel some remorse. I would not say they were "convicted" so much as they pled guilty to the offenses they agreed to. Also, there are several other participants who are still walking around unscathed.

Hopefully Mr. Utash continues his recovery. Hopefully the child who was injured continues to recover as well. On a side note- Those who hate urban Detroit on principle are still going to hate it. I don't see any regional cultural change coming out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Hopefully Mr. Utash continues his recovery. Hopefully the child who was injured continues to recover as well. On a side note- Those who hate urban Detroit on principle are still going to hate it. I don't see any regional cultural change coming out of this.
    Very true...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I agree. The politicians and the media [[and the comment sections) thrive on extremism. We're not going to change the haters, and frankly, I'm not worried about them. I think more important is that we don't lose the "middles". I'm just as disgusted about this incident as anyone else. But I don't take it to mean that there is a "culture of violence" among all blacks. And I can also know that Morang and Kelly is not the same as Woodward and MLK is not the same as Fort St. and Livernois.

For something as horrible and as tragic as it was, I'd say that this was probably the best outcome that could have come of it.

I don't in any way excuse the assault [[especially because I see the victim as someone who was trying to help and undeserving of punishment). I also admit that I'm torn about vigilante justice in an environment where police are not reliable. For example, one of the arsonists was caught setting fire to one of the Heidelberg buildings last week. He was held for 30 minutes and beaten up until the cops finally came.

How do I feel about this? Well, first I presume he is guilty but the truth is that we haven't proven that yet. And of course, I didn't want him to get beat up, but I've also been fed up with these arsons. On balance, I still stand by the position that vigilante justice is incorrect. But until DPD can be shown to be a more reliable force, it will not surprise me if it continues.

Lastly, I hope that the kid was hit by Utash is ok, and I hope that all the children and all the parents in the neighborhood drill it into their heads that you don't play in or around streets.