Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Selden Standard - New Restaurant Emerging around the Corner form Honest? John's

That bombed-out graffiti-covered building at 3921 Second Ave. next to the vest-pocket park Redmond Plaza is in the process of transforming into a seasonal small plates restaurant, according to Crains.

Just another move in the booming Cass Corridor/Midtown district that would have been thought completely insane a few short years ago. [Other than for a street-wise local who grew up on those streets like 'Honest?' John Thompson who everybody thought was crazy]

Street View

Good news.

in the google street view, I noticed a fence surrounding the Redmond pocket park. Never have seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Good news.

in the google street view, I noticed a fence surrounding the Redmond pocket park. Never have seen that before.
    It was put up recently, not sure why. I know that park used to attract a REALLY REALLY large amount of homeless/drifter types back when I worked down there in '02-'04. I'm really glad to hear another restaurant is going in down there, excited to see this end of the neighborhood start to shine again. I remember the chop shop on Selden between 2nd and 3rd, and all the seedy characters in the neighborhood. Most of them were pretty harmless to boot.

Keep an eye on Selden Standard. Could make waves in the food world. Detroit is a great food city in several fundamental respects, but it lacks fame in this regard because it lacks a group [[all you need is a small group) of truly superb and/or cutting edge restaurants. But even Minneapolis has caught up food-wise. I predict Detroit eclipsing it, and Selden Standard potentially being part of the movement.

Though I have yet to try it, my understanding is that Marais in Grosse Pointe is another place that might represent truly superb dining, i.e., if it was in NYC it might have a Michelin star.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    It was put up recently, not sure why. I know that park used to attract a REALLY REALLY large amount of homeless/drifter types back when I worked down there in '02-'04. I'm really glad to hear another restaurant is going in down there, excited to see this end of the neighborhood start to shine again. I remember the chop shop on Selden between 2nd and 3rd, and all the seedy characters in the neighborhood. Most of them were pretty harmless to boot.
    It's been up for at least a couple of months. I drive by there several times a week. It's a shame because it's a nice little park that is now inaccessible.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...yday/18423999/

opening this week!

pretty remarkable transformation they've made on that corner. Hoping it has a 'Slows' effect and that part of midtown starts to redevelop

Looks like it's going to be incredible food too

September 2013:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 7.27.56 PM.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  22.6 KB

Today:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 7.28.31 PM.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  57.3 KB
    Above: this is actually about 2 weeks old and the storefront made of wood that looks boarded up was under construction at the time, but is also part of the restaurant and has windows now!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 7.28.41 PM.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  42.1 KB
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; November-05-14 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    That bombed-out graffiti-covered building at 3921 Second Ave. next to the vest-pocket park Redmond Plaza is in the process of transforming into a seasonal small plates restaurant, according to Crains.

Just another move in the booming Cass Corridor/Midtown district that would have been thought completely insane a few short years ago. [Other than for a street-wise local who grew up on those streets like 'Honest?' John Thompson who everybody thought was crazy]

Street View
    To be fair Honest John's original location near Belle Isle apparently was a crazy idea as he was forced to move because of the deteriorating neighborhood but personally I liked it better than the current location. It simply had more character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Street View
    We need to encourage people to include these Google street view links in their posts more often.

It adds perspective and invites exploration of the neighborhood.

Selden Standard has been serving to groups of invited "soft opening" guests since last Sunday, at least. Rave reviews all around. From what I've seen so far, looks like it'll be more accessible than some of the other new spots as to the variety and prices of its grounded but imaginative menu.

Marias and Torino are certainly making food-world waves and that's great, but both are far more expensive [[not to say they're not worth it!) that Selden Standard seems to be shaping up to be. A more casual approach to the food and the ala carte pricing makes that possible.

See also [[for photos) http://www.yelp.com/biz/selden-standard-detroit

"Hoping it has a 'Slows' effect and that part of midtown starts to redevelop"

I don't think there's one even halfway viable storefront available for anything less than an outrageously high price between Midtown and Downtown now. They may look pathetic still, but they have all been snapped up already as far as I've been able to discern.

Andy Hollyday has had that Selden Standard building for a couple of years I think. He got it after the roof had caved in, which speaks to what rehab lengths people will go to acquire commercial space along that strip.