Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Vernor's in glass bottles

Couldn't find the old Vernor's thread about this. Sorry for starting yet another Vernor's thread. Stumbled across our favorite elixir in glass bottles with real sugar at a small store called Rockets on Michigan Ave in downtown Ypsilanti. They get them from one of their candy distributors out of Virginia. There is a bottler in Virginia that makes them. We have to get our local Vernor's bottler to make these. Its ridiculous that we have to jump through hoops to get this since Vernor's originated here. $2.49 per bottle and they told me Greenfield Village sells them for $5 a pop [[pun intended). Sipping one now and its glorious. Will try in a Boston Cooler tomorrow.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  53.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Couldn't find the old Vernor's thread about this. Sorry for starting yet another Vernor's thread. Stumbled across our favorite elixir in glass bottles with real sugar at a small store called Rockets on Michigan Ave in downtown Ypsilanti. They get them from one of their candy distributors out of Virginia. There is a bottler in Virginia that makes them. We have to get our local Vernor's bottler to make these. Its ridiculous that we have to jump through hoops to get this since Vernor's originated here. $2.49 per bottle and they told me Greenfield Village sells them for $5 a pop [[pun intended). Sipping one now and its glorious. Will try in a Boston Cooler tomorrow.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  53.4 KB
    I'm confused. It's "Vernor's" but not made by Vernor's?

Its Vernor's made by Vernor's. Vernor's is bottled under authority by Dr. Pepper/7Up based in Plano, Texas. There are bottlers throughout the country that make and supply it, just like Budweiser has different breweries around the country. Not many, and maybe only this one, makes the Vernors with real sugar in glass bottles. Makes no sense that our local Vernor's bottler does not offer this.

The reason it may be produced out of a plant in Virginia could be for logistic reasons...Virginia is more centrally located than Michigan. Think about the amount of Delis on the eastern sea-board who serve this product....
    Last edited by Dbest; June-19-14 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Its Vernor's made by Vernor's. Vernor's is bottled under authority by Dr. Pepper/7Up based in Plano, Texas. There are bottlers throughout the country that make and supply it, just like Budweiser has different breweries around the country. Not many, and maybe only this one, makes the Vernors with real sugar in glass bottles. Makes no sense that our local Vernor's bottler does not offer this.
    I didn't know that. So it's like a franchise. You apply to Vernors central, to get a license to make, bottle, and distribute Vernors in your area. If I'm ever in Ypsi, I'll check it out. Thanx.

Last year's Vernors in glass bottles thread:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-Glass-Bottles

Vernors in Glass Bottles facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/VernorsPlea...ckGlassBottles

Glass-bottled and sugared Vernors is closer to the original formula...but it ain't it.

The wise move would be to get a bottling franchise, then use STEVIA as sweetener...since historically Vernors was the first soda pop to use that South American natural plant in production, which they kept up until the great High Fructose Corn Syrup coup of 1984.

Then I'd go back to drinking it...and using it as medicine. Anyone who still uses this medicinally is duped, since the benefits of Vernors went away with the Stevia.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Glass-bottled and sugared Vernors is closer to the original formula...but it ain't it.

The wise move would be to get a bottling franchise, then use STEVIA as sweetener...since historically Vernors was the first soda pop to use that South American natural plant in production, which they kept up until the great High Fructose Corn Syrup coup of 1984.

Then I'd go back to drinking it...and using it as medicine. Anyone who still uses this medicinally is duped, since the benefits of Vernors went away with the Stevia.

Cheers!

Yes, Vernors should bring back a stevia flavored product with the original longer aging time of the syrup in glass bottles with the correct higher degree of carbonation.

Vernors - one of my very favorites

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Yes, Vernors should bring back a stevia flavored product with the original longer aging time of the syrup in glass bottles with the correct higher degree of carbonation.
    Yeah you don't sneeze as much as you used to. Less bubbles and ginger!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I didn't know that. So it's like a franchise. You apply to Vernors central, to get a license to make, bottle, and distribute Vernors in your area. If I'm ever in Ypsi, I'll check it out. Thanx.
    "Vernors central" being Dr. Pepper Snapple Group in Plano TX, which has owned the brand since they absorbed the previous owner, A&W.