Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DPD Chief Craig is angry that a robbery in progress call was put on hold for 40 mins

[IMG]
    http://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/layafette-foods-smash-and-grab.jpg[/IMG]

DETROIT [[WWJ) -
    Detroit’s top cop has launched an investigation after a call about a robbery in progress was put on hold for over a half-hour.

The whole situation unfolded early Wednesday morning when two thieves smashed a vehicle through the plate-glass windows of Lafayette Foods, located on Lafayette Street near St. Aubin Street. Once inside, the crooks stole a safe from the store’s pharmacy, which was full of narcotics.
    A call was placed to police about a crime in progress, but officers didn’t show up until almost an hour later.
    Police Chief James Craig told WWJ’s Vickie Thomas he’s outraged it took so long for his officers to respond to the scene.
    “I’m not happy about this,” Craig said. “They crashed in and I understand that allegedly, because it’s still early in the investigation, but allegedly our communications center held the call for 40 minutes. That’s not our protocol… We prioritize our calls to service crimes in progress. So, there’s an expectation if there are no available units, that you find an available unit anywhere in the city.”
    The entire crime was caught on surveillance cameras from a neighboring Laundromat. A manager who viewed the video said it took the thieves all of three minutes to get in and get out with the safe.
    Craig said he’s launching an internal investigation into the delay, especially since this is the third time recently that Lafayette Foods has been robbed.
    “I don’t know if [the owner] complained, but I’m complaining,” Craig said. “I’m complaining because there’s a crime in progress — well, the owner did mention, now that we’re talking about it, that he’s been a victim three times in a month.”
    Police are reviewing the surveillance video in an attempt to identify the crooks. Anyone with information on the crime is urged to contact police at 313-267-4600.
    Damage inside Lafayette Foods after two crooks drove a vehicle through the storefront and stole a safe full of narcotics. [[Credit: Vickie Thomas/WWJ Newsradio 950)

Chief Craig should be angry.
    A 40 minute hold is crazy!

I'm sure this will be blamed on Gov. Snyder.

GUSHI Guest

40 minutes sounds about right, just enough time to grab 40ozs

Not suprising...

When I was working for myself a few years ago and business got slow, I knew how to get the phone to ring.

All you have to do is get comfortable on the porcelain throne. Bet that happened here.

ssdd......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ssdd......
    Something is wrong with Lafayette Foods it seems. Maybe he should have bars around his store. Maybe the store should have an alarm hooked up to the police station.
    3 times in one month -- the owner is not taking precaution.

you know. The police stopped reporting crime like they used to. At this point though its like a reporting blackout. They havent updated their site in nearly a month. I have this guy pegged as an under reporter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Something is wrong with Lafayette Foods it seems. Maybe he should have bars around his store. Maybe the store should have an alarm hooked up to the police station.
    3 times in one month -- the owner is not taking precaution.

I agree, it's Lafayette Foods fault, yeah, that's it! Hey, how about 'dem Tigers? Maybe Craig ought to get Detroit's law enforcement together and raid Lafayette Foods? What kind of precaution do you suggest Lafayette Foods get against someone driving a car through their front window? This stuff happens all the time in Detroit. It happened more then once @ the old mall on Jefferson and St. Jean. Maybe when they make 375 a boulevard things will get better.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-18-14 at 09:07 PM.

It's obvious Detroit needs more small business so the crime can be spread more evenly!