Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My older buddy took me to this show for my birthday complete with rioting: Name:  1975-04-5 Alice Cooper Nightmare Suzi Quatro Olympia Stadium stub 632.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  54.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
    My older buddy took me to this show for my birthday complete with rioting: Name:  1975-04-5 Alice Cooper Nightmare Suzi Quatro Olympia Stadium stub 632.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  54.1 KB
    Same price! The price for tickets now is ridiculous with added fees upon fees. And the most of the acts don't compare.

My parents home was in close view to the 'Barn' as it was called. The house was a corner house so we'd see people walking to go the OS, which was quite a few when Elvis played there last.

There was a bar/ club across the street on Grand River called Stardust I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Shut your mouth...
    ....but I'm talkin' about Shaft....

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    ....but I'm talkin' about Shaft....
    We can dig it...

My fondest memory of the Olympia is the brick I have from the old red barn planted in my front yard, adjacent to a brick from the Stroh's brewery, here in Henderson, Nevada.

Don't visit this site much, any more, but enjoy this thread.
    The thing remembered most about Olympia is that the seats allowed you to look down at the action below. Very steep, but more intimate and close to the action on the ice.
    Also saw the Rolling Stones from the floor, folding chairs, nine rows back, 1969.
    Someone broke into the van, and missed a bonanza stuffed beneath a seat.

My brother did some boxing and our father took him to the matches. But personally I have never been there.

I always think of how smoky it would get inside. Did everyone smoke back in the day? I also remember commercials for Knight's auto Sales right across from Olympia. Then there was the time that I was in a section where some people were singing their own Christmas carols. There was one, "[[Somebody) the Red Faced Red Wing) that was pretty funny. Can't remember which player it was though. Such a grand old building. And now I've been to three Red Wings venues in my lifetime. I feel old!

Roller Derby was big at the Barn towards the end! Seemed pretty wild as a sports from what I saw on the telly a few times!

When Thomas "Hitman" Hearns came on the scene in the late 70's, most of his fights were there, and I attended a lot of them. The Olympia use to rock at his fights.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-10-18 at 12:06 PM.

Attended a Red Wings game at Olympia on New Year's eve and watched the game from my employer's private box seat.

Saw the Ice Capades there also. My employer [[see above) gave me 20 tickets to give to customers but I gave the tickets to my parents, brother, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Also saw a Blind Faith concert at Olympia but Blind Faith showed up so late I had to leave before the concert ended bc my date had to be home by 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Also saw a Blind Faith concert at Olympia but Blind Faith showed up so late I had to leave before the concert ended bc my date had to be home by 11:00.
    Could you find your way home?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Could you find your way home?
    Found my way home before 11:00

My only unique story to add was sitting in traffic, a hot summer night in 71 or 72. Car without A/C so windows down. I didn't attend whatever was going on, just trying to make my way down Grand River. A cab was trying to push his way through despite a DPD officer trying to stop him. At least a couple of times he said stop.

Well the cabbie came close to clipping him. Heard a loud "thump", saw a big flashlight being arced back upwards while he yelled "Next time I say stop d***** I mean stop!"

Nice direct hit onto the fender of that Checker cab...........

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I always think of how smoky it would get inside. Did everyone smoke back in the day? [...] I feel old!
    Smoky indeed ... Mom&Dad repeatedly dragged me to Ice Capades [[which I mostly enjoyed) ... they puffed away on Winstons and Marlboros ... steep stairs like a picture of a Mayan pyramid ... sacrificial victims rolling down da steps to hungry crowds below - - cheaper than hot dogs?

Dim recollections of musical organ sounds at Red Wings hockey game. Gistok, 56packman or others, when was the pipe organ removed from OS? Any specs? Hint:

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/or...eturn/c-501549

An electronic instrument in the new arena:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...lca/108431826/

Reviews?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4