Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle Park Fee

Belle Isle was officially turned over to the state after I got my 2014 tags. I heard on the news that I won't be required to buy a park pass until I get my new tags for 2015 because the takeover was after I had already purchased tags for the year. At least that is what I thought the newscaster was saying.

Do I need to purchase a State Park pass to get on Belle Isle now, or will that take affect after I purchase my next tags?

Thanks.

Depends on when you registered your vehicle.

Recreation Passport
    Will I need a Recreation Passport to access Belle Isle Park?

• Vehicle access
      A Recreation Passport is required when accessing the island by vehicle.
    • Pedestrian access
      The Passport applies only to vehicles - not individuals. Pedestrians, bicyclists and those using public transportation can enter the park for free and will not need the Passport.
    • Bus transportation
      The Department of Natural Resources is working with the city of Detroit to re-establish a public bus route to the island. Although the bus will need a Recreation Passport for entry, those riding the bus will not.
    • Access now through January 2015
      The Recreation Passport is directly tied to your Michigan vehicle license plate registration renewal. Throughout Belle Isle's first year of the Recreation Passport requirement, a vehicle can access the island without a Recreation Passport until the owner's next registration renewal date. For example, if a vehicle license plate registration renewal date is August 2014, then the Passport is not needed on that vehicle until August. Likewise, if the renewal date is December 2014, then the Passport is not needed until December. Once a full year has cycled [[February 2015), all vehicles entering the park must have a Recreation Passport.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...5---,00.html#1

I was there last week and there is nobody preventing you from getting in or asking for an access fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I was there last week and there is nobody preventing you from getting in or asking for an access fee.
    That's not quite how it works. MSP and DNR check tags on parked cars to make sure you're paid up. If you aren't, then you get his with a citation [[or more likely this year, a friendly warning).