Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Shinola expands and opens Willys

Clothing retail outlet to join the ranks of those filling-in that ever growing space just S of Campus. Nice to see the growth continue.

John Gallahger wants you to check out his Willy pics.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014061...etroit-midtown

If I were in Detroit I'd have the urge to put on some skinny jeans, grow some facial hair, grab a latte and take a look at this place.

I'm not their demographic either, but good to see.

I'll be curious to see how long it is there. I'm also curious how much of Shinola's business is based in Detroit compared to elsewhere. Not where the products are made, but their consumer base. I own several Shinola products [[phone case, iPad case, journals - not yet a watch and/or bicycle) and really enjoy them. Hope they are around in Detroit for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    I'll be curious to see how long it is there. I'm also curious how much of Shinola's business is based in Detroit compared to elsewhere. Not where the products are made, but their consumer base. I own several Shinola products [[phone case, iPad case, journals - not yet a watch and/or bicycle) and really enjoy them. Hope they are around in Detroit for a long time.
    I'd be shocked if they did any big proportion of their 50,000 watch sales [[which they have been telling the media will be 100K next year) in metro Detroit. Understand that Shinola also does private label work, such as for Filson, and limited edition watches for organizations like Ford [[witness their 50th Mustang Anniversary product, which is much more modern looking than their traditional line).

HB

Stopped by the new Willy's outpost yesterday while roaming on our bikes. Some neat stuff, definitely hipstery in the clothing offerings.

Our only complaint was that Shinola still doesn't have a proper bike rack out front.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    I'd be shocked if they did any big proportion of their 50,000 watch sales [[which they have been telling the media will be 100K next year) in metro Detroit. Understand that Shinola also does private label work, such as for Filson, and limited edition watches for organizations like Ford [[witness their 50th Mustang Anniversary product, which is much more modern looking than their traditional line).

HB
    I think Shinola understands it is important to have a store front, even if it isn't the most profitable part of the business. Shinola is trying to stick by their Detroit-based image, and while some/lots of people disagree with it, they are at least locating facilities and flagship stores in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Our only complaint was that Shinola still doesn't have a proper bike rack out front.
    The only story that better than that would be if the clerk had no idea what time it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The only story that better than that would be if the clerk had no idea what time it was.

A bicycle rack, a sidewalk clock, a shoe-shine stall; all essential to the branding image of the marque. A little retro this, a little neo that, and with the proper tweaking, an indomitable success story ensues...

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Who can afford their bikes? What would be parked there? Wal-mart bought Huffy's? Even those would git-stolt!

I like the look of their watches. They big, bold and brassy- I hope they sell well.

It's Shinola's bikes that have me at a odd crossroads. Who buys these sorts of bikes? They seem like glorified city bikes that work well for short jaunts in a neighborhood but for that price, who would feel comfortable locking one of those up outside the neighborhood store or local coffee shop? I can almost accept the fact that there are $2000 mountain bikes that are used for racing or crazy aerodynamic bikes meant for velodromes- but a $2000 bike for the city??

And mind you, I'm not questioning their quality or craftsmanship either. I'm sure they're glorious and a hoot to ride but the practical rider in me just can't fathom a bike for that price.

Obviously I'm the wrong demographic for buying their bikes.