Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lighting authority gets more money, to add additional 15K street light. Total 65K now

"It also means 15,000 more lights for residents, bringing our total number of lights to 64,500 LEDs. We’re excited to be able to install more lights than we originally planned"

http://www.freep.com/article/2014061...t-streetlights

Good news!

Yay Duggan!

Do these lights have copper wiring? Will they all be non-functional within 6 months due to scrappers?

Some street lighting will be solar powered. No transformers from underground. That would keep those copper thieves and from those cutting out wires.
    Last edited by Danny; June-13-14 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Do these lights have copper wiring? Will they all be non-functional within 6 months due to scrappers?
    Can bulletproof glass be used on these things? I'm guessing if the scrappers don't tear these things apart, the drug dealers will shoot them out to conduct their business.

Sometimes I really hate being cynical...

Danny, they won't be solar. Nothing in the article states that and I watched a couple of lighting meetings on youtube and Duggan said that there would be no solar streetlights at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Can bulletproof glass be used on these things?...
    I heard something about "bullet resistant" lights. That was from a former LEO who shared your concerns. He seemed satisfied. If they're expensive, I would expect they're used only in limited areas.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something intrinsically funny about that statement.

If they are installing LEDs chances are they can run much, much smaller wire. Thieves are not interested in most thin gauge wiring as it has little value as scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Danny, they won't be solar. Nothing in the article states that and I watched a couple of lighting meetings on youtube and Duggan said that there would be no solar streetlights at all.
    There is a proposal to have non wired street lighting being installed on W. Vernor Rd. in Southwest Detroit.

Anyone know what the plans are for the light poles along the main streets?

The poles along Gratiot are literally crumbling to pieces. Although the wiring for the poles between Harper and Mack is underground, it would be silly to put new lamps on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    "It also means 15,000 more lights for residents, bringing our total number of lights to 64,500 LEDs. We’re excited to be able to install more lights than we originally planned"

http://www.freep.com/article/2014061...t-streetlights
    . Good news, but why is reporting generally so bad these days? The article does not really say how the revised plan differs from the prior one.

Can bulletproof glass be used on these things? I'm guessing if the scrappers don't tear these things apart, the drug dealers will shoot them out to conduct their business.

I'm just thinking of the millions of dollars spent by MDOT to replace the streetlights along I-94 in Detroit, only to have those lights go dark within mere days of being installed after the copper thieves got to them. Literally millions of dollars wasted in less than a week.